Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-18 3:43 am

Post subject: Re: How do you test your deck? Deciding what goes In or Out.
AgePosted: 2016-Mar-17 12:59 am 

Most of the time it is just when I see a card during a game I make a mental note that it is not pulling its weight. Whether or not it actually get cut is another story. The rest of the time I sort a deck by CMC and see where I am deficient, cutting 20-30 cards and replacing them.

When building decks, I either just go through the boxes corresponding to the color(s) I am building, or search through my inventory on Deckbox. Once I have 100 cards the deck is done until I have played it at least once in a real game.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-17 2:08 am 

This is a fun one for me, because I have a self-imposed rule: no (non-land) card may be repeated between any of my EDH decks (currently 5). So there's often a very fun game of "which deck needs this card more", which in turn starts a merry-go-round of changes.

Recent example: I disassembled my Hixus, Prison Warden deck to prepare for the new Dark Avacyn to take over from him. This freed up Linvala, the Preserver, which went into my Rubinia Soulsinger theft and polymorph deck. Greenwarden of Murasa, which it replaced, is now in Tasigur in place of Eternal Witness, which moved to Sek'Kuar, Deathkeeper...

Daretti, Scrap Savant (Red Artefacts).
Prime Speaker Zegana (Simic Voltron).
Rubinia Soulsinger (Bant Polymorphs).
Kess, Dissident Mage (Grixis Treasure).
Sek'Kuar, Deathkeeper (Jund Apostles).
Tariel, Reckoner of Souls (Mardu Judo).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-17 2:34 am 

Quote:
This is a fun one for me, because I have a self-imposed rule: no (non-land) card may be repeated between any of my EDH decks (currently 5).

You would enjoy this article:

https://www.reddit.com/r/EDH/comments/48dbkn/my_edh_project/

All 12 of the decks presented are themed with no duplicate cards between decks except for mana fixing and reliquary towers. (as in... "if a sol ring is in one deck it cannot be seen in another of the 12 decks he built") That's his own personal rule! Also, if it can't be foil it is excluded from his deck!

All of his decks are foiled out completely! He plays in my playgroup...these are some of the most fun decks I have ever seen or played against.

All the best!

Your Friend,

-Jest

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Aug-15 2:06 pm 

I'm a little bit new here, but I actually put together a list that I use to build my new commander decks that I can share.

1st Step: Pick the commander, add an Elixir of Immortality. If the deck is monocolor, add in Caged Sun. If the deck is multicolor, add in Armilary Sphere. If the deck is colorless, add Thran Dynamo.

2nd Step: Pick two field wipes for the deck and five mana ramp cards. Very few of my decks use Sol Ring, because while it is good ramp, it's colorless, and I'd personally rather have something that fetches land rather then a nonland that adds colorless mana.

3rd Step: Then I select a total of 37 cards. Ten creatures with CMC less then five, ten creatures with CMC 5 or more, eight removal cards, five global noncreature spells, and four noncreature artifacts. As for the removal cards, anything that destroys a permanent, exiles a card, or can one shot creatures with less then 10 toughness are what I try to stick to. Global noncreatures are usually along the lines of Overrun, Holy Day, Fog, and most non-aura enchantments. Noncreature artifacts could be called noncreature permanents, but I've been collecting artifacts since I started playing, so that's my personal preference.

4th Step: Ten more cards that are the deck's theme. My most recent deck is almost all artifacts, so things like Darksteel Forge, Golem's Heart, Serum Tank, Golem Foundry, and Blinkmoth Urn are half of my theme cards for my colorless deck. Mostly, I just pick things that support either the commander or the vast majority of the deck.

5th Step: Two creatures chosen specifically for their effect. The kind that either are small guys who people might not focus, like Phyrexian Revoker, or the big support creatures like Mycosynth Golem. Those were the two I picked for my new colorless deck, which I actually finished putting together only a few hours ago.

6th Step: Before finishing out the deck, I like to check the how well multicolored decks are balanced as far as what mana I need and to check to make sure the average CMC of the deck isn't a problem. I usually prefer having the bulk of my cards be CMC 3 to 6. With everything already out, it's easier to make any last minute adjustments.

Final Step: I always leave three open spots for the very end to add in what I call 'Kitchen Sink Cards', like the old saying 'Everything and the Kitchen Sink'. I most often find myself picking tutors, niche creatures, and either draw or defensive cards. Then I finish up with land distribution if it's multicolor, or just figuring out what nonbasic lands I want if it's monocolor.

I will say, building my new colorless deck was a very different experience then building all my other decks. Not being able to have access to all the different sorceries, instants, and enchantments that I'm used to being able to have gave me a very different approach to finding unusual ways to support my deck, especially with the added challenge of using only land fetches and tutors that have additional uses beyond letting me search my deck. (Tamiyo's Journal was all I could find)

-Nahiri, the Lithomancer-Monowhite Soldier/Equipment Deck
-Sharuum the Hegemon-Esper Artifact Themed Deck
-Karador, Ghost Chieftain-Kamigawa Spirit Reanimator Tribal Deck
-Zedruu the Greathearted-Predictability is Weakness Themed Deck
-Nissa, Vastwood Seer/Nissa, Sage Animist-Monogreen Land Based Deck

Offline Profile