Login | Register


All times are UTC - 7 hours


It is currently 2019-Oct-19 3:37 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Best finishing creatures in the format?
AgePosted: 2016-Feb-16 4:40 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2011-Feb-07 3:37 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Danbury, CT
I'm a little surprised no one's mentioned direct-damage creatures... I feel like I'm slackin' off by failing to make folks live in fear of Kaervek...

There's definitely more than I can name off the top of my head: Maga, Bosh, Brion, Pestilence Demon, Crypt Rats, red Ashling, Kumano, Hidetsugu, Shivan Hellkite, Vampiric Dragon, new Borborygmos, new Omnath...

_________________
The deck-o-pedia


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best finishing creatures in the format?
AgePosted: 2016-Feb-18 12:33 am 

Joined: 2012-Jun-01 6:02 am
Age: Drake
Location: South Carolina
Kemev wrote:
I'm a little surprised no one's mentioned direct-damage creatures... I feel like I'm slackin' off by failing to make folks live in fear of Kaervek...


Yeah, I'm surprised too, tbh. I would say Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord is definitely up there, as a super finisher, since he can kill the entire table with enough bodies to throw around... I ought to play him in my Kresh the Bloodbraided deck, it uses the idea of "reach" that pi was talking about for when giant monsters can't attack (Kresh + Lhurgoyf-like creatures is fun times, but so little evasion!) but I feel like Jarad is not fun (because he can kill the whole table so easily) and should be killed on sight.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best finishing creatures in the format?
AgePosted: 2016-Feb-18 1:57 am 

Joined: 2013-Aug-20 4:37 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Boston
GraphiteGolem wrote:
I feel like Jarad is not fun (because he can kill the whole table so easily) and should be killed on sight require his owner to pay 4 mana and sacrifice 2 lands.

FTFY


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best finishing creatures in the format?
AgePosted: 2016-Feb-19 7:02 pm 

Joined: 2014-Sep-13 7:28 am
Age: Elder Dragon
^ hahaha

Kaervek and Jarad are the real deal. I haven't played Kaervek but i do enjoy Jarad. He's a cannon with Lord of Extinction and Consuming Aberration (i think i may have mentioned that).

I played my girlfriend a couple weeks ago and she stuck Jarad, Savra, Kresh, and Meren. I burnt up all my cards trying to stop a horde of elf lords and mana producers and then that happened. The siblings all feed into each other like a team of attrition supervillains. Ugh.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best finishing creatures in the format?
AgePosted: 2016-Feb-20 12:09 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2010-Dec-10 12:16 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
I am strongly anti-Kaervek. If he were "...deal damage to that player or target creature he or she controls" I might not detest him so much. But as it is, I try not to sit at a table where he is present. My experience has always been where one "opponent" has teamed up with the Kaervek player to cast spells so Kaervek can sling them at the other players until they are the final two. I don't mind team-based magic when it is meant to be team-based magic, but poor design should not result in this type of experience (granted CSP was a bit before they were paying regular attention to multi-player interaction).

More on topic, I like Lightning Reaver for DD creatures (proliferate) and Stalking Vengeance has gotten some good mileage in my Avatar Tribal a few times (go ahead and Wrath, I dare ya....).

_________________
V/R

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best finishing creatures in the format?
AgePosted: 2016-Feb-20 7:50 am 

Joined: 2015-Sep-02 2:49 am
Age: Drake
Location: Connecticut
In my list, I view all of my creatures as a single amorphous blob of recursive death of a thousand cuts, with no defined finisher -- a decision I've come to question a lot lately. I enjoy playing a highly decentralized list with no clear target to definitively weaken it. That said, I feel like, compared to explosive lists like Kaalia and Zur, I need to be on my A game every turn of a very long game, whilst my opponent need only seek out a single moment of weakness to topple my house of cards. Games often play out with me taking the role of the mustache-twirling vaudeville bad guy tying a lady to the railroad tracks with his convoluted scheme of evil, and winning till the very end when the opponent as the hero manages to foil all I've done and save the day in one fell swoop.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best finishing creatures in the format?
AgePosted: 2016-Feb-21 2:10 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2011-Feb-07 3:37 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Danbury, CT
GraphiteGolem wrote:
I would say Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord is definitely up there, as a super finisher


Holy frijoles, can't believe I forgot Jarad... card's like the God of Rocket Launchers...

Treamayne wrote:
I am strongly anti-Kaervek. If he were "...deal damage to that player or target creature he or she controls" I might not detest him so much. But as it is, I try not to sit at a table where he is present. My experience has always been where one "opponent" has teamed up with the Kaervek player to cast spells so Kaervek can sling them at the other players until they are the final two. I don't mind team-based magic when it is meant to be team-based magic, but poor design should not result in this type of experience (granted CSP was a bit before they were paying regular attention to multi-player interaction).

More on topic, I like Lightning Reaver for DD creatures (proliferate) and Stalking Vengeance has gotten some good mileage in my Avatar Tribal a few times (go ahead and Wrath, I dare ya....).


I'm a more egalitarian Kaervek player... I run a ton of wheel/table-draws effects to make sure everyone has spells to sling, and usually I rotate damage through whoever's leading at the time... if you whittle everyone down equally, it's way easier to finish everyone at once with an Earthquake.

Stalking Vengeance is sweet; at one point I was playing it in Kaervek ("What, you killed my Kaervek!? Well, 5 you then buddy") but I don't have enough fatties for it in my current list :(

_________________
The deck-o-pedia


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best finishing creatures in the format?
AgePosted: 2016-Feb-21 9:21 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2010-Dec-10 12:16 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Good on ya (but I still think it would be a "better" Multi-player card if it punished the person casting the spell rather than anyone at the table). I am happy to hear somebody uses it more logically though.

Kemev wrote:
Stalking Vengeance is sweet; at one point I was playing it in Kaervek ("What, you killed my Kaervek!? Well, 5 you then buddy") but I don't have enough fatties for it in my current list


Yeah, Avatar Tribal is a very fat list (like Angels, Dragons and Demons, creatures below 5CMC are few), so while it does take a while to get going, when it does have board presence the Stalking Vengeance carries some weight.

Another pseudo-finishing type of creature might be army enablers. Deepchannel Mentor, for example, can quickly make most or all of your creatures unblockable. In my Edric Rogue tribal, I have used it to finish one or two opponents the turn I played him (though he didn't attack himself). Creatures with built in Lure can be used similarly. I haven't done it yet, but I look forward to testing Blade of Selves on Shinen of Life's Roar in my Spirit tribal to make all other spirits unblocked at the table for a final Alpha Assault.

_________________
V/R

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best finishing creatures in the format?
AgePosted: 2016-Feb-25 10:16 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2010-May-25 1:10 pm
Age: Drake
Location: Nomad Outpost, Tarkir
Finishers?

Deadeye Navigator #ShotsFired

(You know it's true though.)

_________________
Quote:
I used to love Bant before Derevi became the herpes of EDH.

MTG: Commander (I play Mardu and Mardu Accessories)

Alesha, Who Smiles at Death [Duel-Commander]
Kaalia of the Vast [Traditional 1v1 Primer]
Drana, Liberator of Malakir [Sui Black]
Zurgo Bellstriker [AiR]


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best finishing creatures in the format?
AgePosted: 2016-Feb-25 12:28 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2010-Jul-18 9:59 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
3drinks wrote:
Finishers?

Deadeye Navigator #ShotsFired

What, a 5/5 for 6 is causing problems in your group? That's some raw power, right there!

:P :mrgreen:

_________________
"Degenerate, unfun decks generally come from degenerate, unfun players in my experience." - Cthulus Thrall

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best finishing creatures in the format?
AgePosted: 2016-Feb-26 9:09 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2010-May-25 1:10 pm
Age: Drake
Location: Nomad Outpost, Tarkir
Viperion wrote:
3drinks wrote:
Finishers?

Deadeye Navigator #ShotsFired

What, a 5/5 for 6 is causing problems in your group? That's some raw power, right there!

:P :mrgreen:


Lol not for me, I just hold removal for the Soulbond trigger. But I also play Duel-Commander, so.......

_________________
Quote:
I used to love Bant before Derevi became the herpes of EDH.

MTG: Commander (I play Mardu and Mardu Accessories)

Alesha, Who Smiles at Death [Duel-Commander]
Kaalia of the Vast [Traditional 1v1 Primer]
Drana, Liberator of Malakir [Sui Black]
Zurgo Bellstriker [AiR]


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best finishing creatures in the format?
AgePosted: 2016-Mar-13 3:07 am 

Joined: 2011-Jul-15 6:33 pm
Age: Drake
I'm a little surprised no one has mentioned Utvara Hellkite yet. Yes, it dies to removal, but so do a lot of finishers. In the right situations, it just becomes all sorts of silly, but in a fair sort of way, not the "hey look the game is instantly over" sort of way.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best finishing creatures in the format?
AgePosted: 2016-Mar-13 6:52 am 

Joined: 2014-Sep-13 7:28 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Utvara Hellkite also has the bonus of having a sort of tragic yet hopeful flavor to it, if you read the books. It's one of my favorite dragon cards of all time because of this, as well as Niv Mizzet (and Dracogenius qualifies as a solid finisher).

Utvara is fun because it works alone, or because you can drop it on your field of a few dragons or changelings already existing and get the effects right away.

On the topic of dragons though, Moonveil Dragon and Balefire Dragon are ass beaters for sure.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best finishing creatures in the format?
AgePosted: 2016-Mar-13 7:27 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2012-Feb-07 4:15 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Sovarius wrote:
Utvara Hellkite also has the bonus of having a sort of tragic yet hopeful flavor to it, if you read the books. It's one of my favorite dragon cards of all time because of this, as well as Niv Mizzet (and Dracogenius qualifies as a solid finisher).

Utvara is fun because it works alone, or because you can drop it on your field of a few dragons or changelings already existing and get the effects right away.

On the topic of dragons though, Moonveil Dragon and Balefire Dragon are ass beaters for sure.

I feel like if there's one thing that Wizards continues to do pretty well, it's making big gigantic billion mana cost dragons that just destroy everything if left unmolested but aren't so powerful as to just win on the spot.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best finishing creatures in the format?
AgePosted: 2016-Mar-13 7:39 am 

Joined: 2012-Jun-01 6:02 am
Age: Drake
Location: South Carolina
Sovarius wrote:
Utvara Hellkite also has the bonus of having a sort of tragic yet hopeful flavor to it, if you read the books. It's one of my favorite dragon cards of all time because of this, as well as Niv Mizzet (and Dracogenius qualifies as a solid finisher).


:shock:

Which book? I stopped reading Magic fiction with the first Mirrodin cycle.

edited to clan up tags.


Last edited by GraphiteGolem on 2016-Mar-13 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: