Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-16 10:06 am

Post subject: Best finishing creatures in the format?
AgePosted: 2016-Feb-01 9:38 am 

What are the best finishing creatures in the format?

What qualities do you prefer in your finisher? Are they always attackers, or do you prefer some support creatures to come down after you solidify your army?

Does it depend on if you are playing control, aggro, reanimator, swarm/tokens, voltron, or something else?

Do you have any unpopular/uncommon/sub-optimal/obscure favorites you enjoy bringing to light?

May eventually like to turn this into a catalog or primer of sorts for people looking for scary monster ideas.

I like mine to just be flashy or stylish. A large beater needs to have frills to impress me, and more than one unless it's ability pertains to recursion (my favorite abilities in the game).

-- Sphinx of the Steel Wind has always been one of my favorites cards, but i have only played it in my Sharuum deck. The abilities are uniquely mixed for offense and defense, and even the lifegain alone can dramatically offset the damage you take.
-- Craterhoof Behemoth is quite flashy and even more so efficient, but i only play this in one deck where he is basically a combo piece.
-- Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite is usually quite overwhelming and even turns off some decks.
-- Mikaeus, the Unhallowed for pretty much at least one freebie attack + pseudo vigilance and sacrifice shenanigans
-- Maelstrom Wanderer quite flashy! And of course a pain with Vampiric Tutor/Enlightened Tutor/Worldly Tutor type cycles or topdeck manipulation. Also, cascade still triggers through the reanimator effects of Karador and -- Havengul Lich
-- Mazirek for token/sacrifice based decks, but still reliable as a lord for a few extra power even if you aren't playing a sac-theme deck.
-- Dragonlord Dromoka, Void Winnower, Iona, Shield of Emeria all shut off decks and attack for a lot.

What do you like?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Best finishing creatures in the format?
AgePosted: 2016-Feb-01 12:22 pm 

Sphinx of the Steel Wind is just an Akroma, Angel of Wrath wannabe ;)

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-01 12:25 pm 

For me it is whatever is on theme. I don't usually depend on one creature to finish anyone off. For example my dragon reanimator deck is full of creatures that could be "finishers".

I also love being able to use my commanders as a finisher, either because they are large enough (Ruhan or NicBolas) or because they grab something to hit the opponent with. I'd say my favorite of these right now is Kalemne.

Most of the time I probably plan to win via a swarm though. A finisher for that type of deck could be something like craterhoof behemoth, but I think it would be just as fair to say overrun is a finisher at that point.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-01 4:31 pm 

Every deck I play the general has the potential to be a finisher. Whether it be a big fatso that is a threat from the moment it hits play and gets scarier and scarier as the game goes on (Ob Nixlis, The Mimeoplasm, Omnath, Gisa) an evasion-based general that can use equipment (Thada Adel, 8.5 Tails), or someone who's useless alone but gives an already winning position everything it needs to close out the game (Daretti, Purphoros).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-01 6:10 pm 

Viperion wrote:

Nothing wrong with that :P I actually called it Akroma Sphinx. I also play black akroma aka spirit of the night

For me a finishing creature has to be a dragon. Love me some dragons.

But yeah, on theme is what i run. Tokens, burn, artifacts, whatever fits the deck. Also means i try to keep big pieces to one deck in my collection. I could literally put craterhoof in probably 5 decks, but it lives solely in my beast deck...cuz ya know....hes a beast. It would be WAAAAAY more powerful in my elves deck, but damn if those elves don't already know how to have a party all by themselves. Even with Freyalise at the helm. Which may be the weakest general for an elves deck?

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-02 1:21 am 

We always called her Esper-kroma.

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-02 1:26 am 

Are we counting a Goblin Charbelcher that you've activated Tezzeret on?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-02 2:17 am 

Viperion wrote:

It took exactly one time swinging with Zurto get Animate Dead and then facepalming before I switched from Whitekroma to Sphinxkroma.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-02 10:53 am 

Viperion wrote:

You're not wrong. Guess it depends on the colors or if 'artifact matters' to decide what works better. In the interest of ending the quicker, definitely Akroma.

maiden77 wrote:
For me a finishing creature has to be a dragon. Love me some dragons.

Mmmmmmm, Hellkite Overlord

crokaycete wrote:
Are we counting a Goblin Charbelcher that you've activated Tezzeret on?

Well that's definitely a trick. Are you attacking with it?? :o

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-02 11:22 am 

JJackson wrote:
Viperion wrote:

It took exactly one time swinging with Zurto get Animate Dead and then facepalming before I switched from Whitekroma to Sphinxkroma.

The VAST majority of the time Pro-Black is so much better than Pro-Green it's not even funny though. And trading Trample and Haste for Lifelink isn't that wonderful

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-02 6:09 pm 

I play as finishers: Blightsteel Colossus, Kozilek, Butcher of Truth, Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre, Avenger of Zendikar, Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur, Kamahl, Fist of Krosa

Storm Herd is also a finisher but isn't a creature. It finishes the game in the same way as Avenger of Zendikar though. Cataclysm is also a finisher, but not a creature and is more of a combo-y type card.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-02 9:01 pm 

Most notable ones (many of which have already been mentioned) I play are:
- Akroma, Angel of Wrath
- Blightsteel Colossus
- Dragonlord Dromoka
- Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
- Gisela, Blade of Goldnight
- Kamahl, Fist of Krosa
- Kokusho, the Evening Star
- Rakdos, Lord of Riots
- Zurgo Helmsmasher

So yeah, I won't get any point for originality here, but I think a very good finisher is something that's difficult to come by and ofter requires the help of other cards.
I also play some fancy stuff like Archangel of Strife (in Hazezon Tamar) or Treasonous Ogre (for pseudo Channel shennanigans). Although they're obviously less efficient and/or double-edged swords, they are at least as much fun (in my games) as above options.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-02 10:57 pm 

sleeper finishers, lord of the void, Marton Stromgald, Odric, Master Tactician, Legion Loyalist.

Some of these have to have an army, but tiny 1/1s that end the game just aren't expected. Lord o the void seems underplayed to me. Dudes a house in any deck really

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-02 11:18 pm 

Pathbreaker Ibex. Some set up to get him going but otherwise an excellent finisher.

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-03 12:31 am 

Viperion wrote:
The VAST majority of the time Pro-Black is so much better than Pro-Green it's not even funny though.

In my group, I disagree. For an artifact creature, you already dodge most black point removal thanks to Terror setting precedent that Bone Shredder, Shriekmaw, and others have followed. Pro-green is more relevant in combat and you dodge artifact hate like Hull Breach and Acidic Slime. Mortify and Vindicate are the only commonly played point removal spells in my group where Wakroma has the upper hand.

Losing haste is definitely the worst part of the switch, but lifelink on something so beefy and vigilant can swing a race pretty decently.

Offline Profile