Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-18 12:41 pm

Post subject: Utilizing Red in Lord of Tresserhorn
AgePosted: 2016-Jan-23 11:24 am 

I have a Lord of Tresserhorn deck that I have been using for a loooooong time, but I have always found red are the cards I want to cut or end up cutting. I have found it challenging to have red cards work with the rest of the deck, as the cards that work best with each other synergistically or on theme with each other are generally blue/black. However I want red to be more represented in the deck, because Grixis is awesome and I know there is a lot of fun red cards that can interact with a zombie sub theme/Time Stop Stifle sub theme along with out of nowhere surprise instant one hit kills. Is there any suggestions? I know there are zombies with red in them, I am looking for more off the wall and utility stuff I guess.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Utilizing Red in Lord of Tresserhorn
AgePosted: 2016-Jan-23 4:41 pm 

Deadapult, because nothing ruins your day like a blazing zombie.

Really, though, I'd just give up on having red having equal representation in your deck. I've got my own Thraximundar-based zombie deck, and have run into pretty much the same thing. There just aren't enough good red cards that work with the theme. My deck has just Deadapult, Tresserhorn, Thrax, Terminate, Taurean Mauler, Deathbringer Thoctar, Anathemancer, and the Unscythe.

My suggestion is to just let red be a lightly-splashed color and move on.

My Decks: Zombiepocalypse (Thraximundar) ♦ Thrun stands alone (voltron) ♦ Ashling the Burninator ♦ Doran beatdown (treefolk/plant tribal) ♦ Mine! (UB theft/clone) ♦ Vampire Beatdown (Edgar Markov) ♦ BW Enchantments (Daxos the Returned)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-23 5:02 pm 

Any red creature that can bring other creatures to the table is a good choice. Token generators like Mogg War Marshall, Flamekin Harbinger, Thopter Engineer, or Goblin Recuriters.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-23 5:02 pm 

Willbender wrote:
Deadapult, because nothing ruins your day like a blazing zombie.

Really, though, I'd just give up on having red having equal representation in your deck. I've got my own Thraximundar-based zombie deck, and have run into pretty much the same thing. There just aren't enough good red cards that work with the theme. My deck has just Deadapult, Tresserhorn, Thrax, Terminate, Taurean Mauler, Deathbringer Thoctar, Anathemancer, and the Unscythe.

My suggestion is to just let red be a lightly-splashed color and move on.

Thanks for the reply, Deadapault is awesome and on theme, but then I end up putting in Goblin Bombardment because it interacts so much better with making a bunch of tokens with Elemental Mastery on Grimgrim or Lord of Tresserhorn and such which ultimately is funnier and more interesting than using Deadapault. It's a shame that red somehow ends up being just a splash color because red is so much fun. For whatever reason trying to fit red in with B/U zombies just ends up being sub par comparatively speaking to the strategies for that kind of deck.

So question is then if you're only running 10-15 red cards, is it even worth it to use Thrax or Lord of Tresserhorn as your commander when you can just go B/U with Grimgrin and streamline your manabase and have more open card slots for more ramp, card draw, utility etc. to make it run better or have more interesting card choices?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-23 5:22 pm 

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
Any red creature that can bring other creatures to the table is a good choice. Token generators like Mogg War Marshall, Flamekin Harbinger, Thopter Engineer, or Goblin Recuriters.

I have found Mogg War Marshall does not do enough, Flamekin Harbinger would search for.....?, and the other ETB token makers are a nombo with the anti-etb theme in the deck with Torpor Orb.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-24 8:57 am 

Temur Battlerage and Psychotic Fury are always a hoot when you have a high power commander.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-24 1:01 pm 

JJackson wrote:
Temur Battlerage and Psychotic Fury are always a hoot when you have a high power commander.

Same deal with Rush of Blood, which as an added bonus looks great in foil.

Red powershot effects like Warstorm Surge, Stalking Vengeance, Where Ancients Tread, etc., are also pretty solid when you can reliably get a large power creature out on the board. You can also use them with Tress to spam him out for as many ten-shots as you have the mana for. Throw in Vicious Shadows for even more explosive goodness.

And hey, if you want to get really wacky, you can run Dralnu's Crusade.

Bladewing the Risen - MTG: Blood Dragon - OST by Powerglove
Dosan the Falling Leaf - Mono-Green Accelerator
Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter - Feed it to Vish
Toshiro Umezawa - Budget Creatureless
Prossh, Skyraider of Kher - Combo Jund
Marath, Will of the Wild - Beast-Mode Tribal
Scion of the Ur-Dragon - Mortal Combat Dredge
Kamahl & Jeska - Tag Team Voltron

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-24 2:28 pm 

Zirilan of the Claw wrote:
JJackson wrote:

Same deal with Rush of Blood, which as an added bonus looks great in foil.

Red powershot effects like Warstorm Surge, Stalking Vengeance, Where Ancients Tread, etc., are also pretty solid when you can reliably get a large power creature out on the board. You can also use them with Tress to spam him out for as many ten-shots as you have the mana for. Throw in Vicious Shadows for even more explosive goodness.

And hey, if you want to get really wacky, you can run Dralnu's Crusade.

Thanks for the suggestions, but Warstorm and Where Ancients Tread are ETB triggers, so therefore nombos with Torpor Orb which is the first thing I grab and protect as much as possible. Rush of Blood is decent, but Fatal Fury is better because it gives trample and it being able to kill a creature is huge with cards that want to die, or when I steal them. It also goes along with the "stifle beginning of end step triggers" theme using Sundial of the Infinite. Temur Battle Rage or any other double strike granting card doesn't pump power stats so it doesn't work with cards like Ghoulcaller Gisa or use with Soul's Fire (hilarious with Lord of Tresserhorn, double power with Fatal Fury to 20, swing, then Souls Fire for 20 more). Trust me, I have spent literally years looking at every minor detail in every card to refine every card to work better than others. I just don't know at this point if there are any cards that are worth putting in for red, as of now I only have 10 red cards which makes me doubt the need for red at all.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-24 3:43 pm 

If you are already running Stifle effects and the Sundial, then maybe Final Fortune? It isn't great, but still can be cast in a pinch with just one player left and you can win on the second turn. If you don't mind infinite turns, then throw in Isochron Scepter.

Only thing I could think of for red right now.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-24 9:40 pm 

fervor and wrecking ball always live in my red decks, warstorm surge is a solid inclusion as already stated, and chaos warp is a must imo.

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile