Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-18 3:38 am

Post subject: R/W Giants
AgePosted: 2015-Oct-17 1:11 pm 

With the new commander from 2015 spoiled, there has been some amount of talk about building a tribal giant deck. Looking through the list of 94 R/W giants I'm not sure if there are enough that I want to play in this deck. Who would you put in it and what else would you add to your deck?

(I have a rule that a tribal deck can not have non tribal creatures.)

Looking at the giants I want so far:

Sun Titan, Inferno Titan, Stonehewer Giant, Sunrise Sovereign, and Thundercloud Shaman. There are a bunch of maybes as well.

Sun titan leads to a large sacrifice theme, esp with lands. There are some cool enchantments and artifacts that will work really well here as well. Inferno Titan wants deathtouch really bad to get some blockers out of the way when attacking. Stonehewer Giant tells me that equipment will be good to bring in here, esp Basilisk Collar. With Thundercloud Shaman makes me want to find some way to blink it, which works well with the titans as well.

What do you think?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: R/W Giants
AgePosted: 2015-Oct-17 4:32 pm 

I am really hoping that all the Giants you mentioned are in the precon. I would very likely just upgrade it in that case.

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Oct-17 6:02 pm 

I would likely still play Ruhan to add Frost Titan, more blink cards and some control and card draw.

Also, would Stinkdrinker Daredevil count as a giant tribal creature?

Generals:
too many, and always changing... except:

Rakdos, Lord of Riots (Demon Tribal)
Melek, Izzet Paragon (Dragonstorm) -> these must stay because of a house rule

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Oct-18 1:59 am 

Thor_Naadoh wrote:
Also, would Stinkdrinker Daredevil count as a giant tribal creature?

They do for my alternative EDH Tribal definition, in testing I came up with:

Quote:
After testing, it should probably be 30 cards on-tribe; where creature type is treated like Color identity. So, a General can lead a deck for any creature type anywhere on the card (example: Thelon Fungus Tribal). Also, a card meets the criteria for on-tribe if it has the creature type anywhere (example: Diviner's Wand for a wizard deck) and 30 cards should be on-tribe, not just creatures.

This has worked well for me since I started testing it a few years ago. Enough flavor to carry through, allows affiliate cards like the Daredevil and at 30 cards in-Tribe, it leaves enough room for the deck to function.

Jelik wrote:
Who would you put in it and what else would you add to your deck?

My 95% list: Cards that will almost certainly be in the deck unless I brew into a heavy reason to replace them or playtesting weeds them out.
Hamletback Goliath - Why not?
Borderland Behemoth - Obvious
Jareth, Leonine Titan - Obvious
Oathsworn Giant - Obvious
Inferno Titan - Lifelink/Deathtouch Subtheme possible, still probably good on its own
Feudkiller's Verdict - Playtest possibly required, but very likely a multiplayer game will have at least one person below Life+10
Sunrise Sovereign - Obvious
Two-Headed Giant of Foriys - Nostalgia
Stoneshock Giant - possible wincon
Giant Harbinger - Obvious
Thundercloud Shaman - Obvious
Skyraker Giant - Reach
Hammerheim Deadeye - Anti-flight, good with Fling theme
Opal Titan - Protection and could be interesting.
Stinkdrinker Daredevil - Obvious
Giant's ire - Obvious
Foriysian Totem - Mana Rock Plus
Giant Strength - Nostalgia
Crush Underfoot - Obvious

My 75% List: Cards that are likely to warrant a spot, depending on direction of deck
Jotun Grunt - Good, Cheap, Political fodder
Craven Giant - Early 4 power needed, possibly good with Pallisade Giant
Awaken the Ancient - Good cost to power for mid to late game
Sunhome Enforcer - possible with lifelink, built in firebreathing
Brion Stoutarm - Liekly, even without fling subtheme
Hundred-Handed One - Interesting, token swarm defense?
Kuldotha Ringleader - Would want to test the Battle Cry, possible
Lairwatch Giant - Possible, would be interested if the double-block first strike inhibits attacks
Arbiter of Knollridge - possible political/last-ditch-save card
Bloodfire Colossus - interesting sweeper(ish) - maybe lifelink/deathtouch subtheme

My 50% List - Cards that might be included based on other decision for the deck or possible synergies to pursue.
Pale Wayfarer - Depending on disposable mana in playtests, maybe
Karplusan Giant - If running snow lands and Extraplanar Lens
Palisade Giant - If I can find good prevention/Indestructible synergy
Impelled Giant - Possibly interesting if pursuing a Fling subtheme
Hammerfist Giant - Possibly interesting, esp. with lifelink/deathtouch shenanigans
Callous Giant - possible if I can think of a good synergy
Inescapable Brute - wither might be useful
Bloodshot Cyclops - If pursuing a Fling subtheme
Furystoke Giant - possibly interesting, late deck possibility
Boldwyr Intimidator - If final list has enough Warriors, or I expect Political advantage (huh, his Stuffy Doll can't block your Zurgo this turn. Make of that what you will)
Boonweaver Giant - If Aura instead of equip, or specific need
Stonehewer Giant - If enough equipment, or specific equip needs
Sun Titan - If the rest of the deck support the <3 req - giants aren't great for this
Caravan Hurda - If pursuing Lifelink, maybe
Hillcomber Giant - Maybe
Hotheaded Giant - Maybe
Boldwyr Heavyweights - Really want to use this, probably a bad idea
Deep-Slumber Titan - If I can fit a good way to abuse Untapping
Stone Giant - If pursuing a Fling subtheme
Countryside Crusher - maybe, if running Sun Titan and enough fetch or other land things

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Oct-18 2:26 am 

Sometimes you just need to wrath, and Desolation Giant seems like a fine way to do it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Oct-18 5:51 am 

I think bringing fetch lands back is enough reason to run sun titan. Then again he's kind of a pet card. This leads me to want to run crucible and some looting effects as well (faithless looting or wheel?). Sun titan can also make cards like Soul Snare or Aura of Silence really good. Mana rocks like Boros Cluestone or Commander's Sphere. Yeah, it may be a pet card of mine.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Oct-20 7:01 am 

Sun Titan is amazing. With Prime Time gone, it's easily the best titan. Synergizes with all the things.

In addition to the list in the OP, I like;
Borderland Behemoth - BIG
Hamletback Goliath - BIG
Jareth, Leonine Titan - Protects himself, good blocker
Desolation Giant - Boardwipe with legs
Brion Stoutarm - Decent sac outlet even if you're not building around him. Cheap to cast.
Quarry Colossus - Removal, if temporary
Bloodfire Colossus - Boardwipe with legs
Bloodshot Cyclops - Stoutarm #2, hits creatures.
Boldwyr Intimidator - Just cool. Gets your damage through
Giant Harbinger - Obvious card is obvious
Hammerfist Giant - Boardwipe with legs
Hammerheim Deadeye - flyer hate
Hundred-Handed One - Also just cool. Neat blocker. Also good with indestructible
Palisade Giant - Stonehewer package can include Shield of Kaldra/Darksteel Plate
Sentinel of the Eternal Watch - especially handy if eldrazi are a thing in your meta

Running Stonehewer means you pretty much have to include Sunforger, and an associated toolbox package for that.

You really should consider Stinkdrinker Daredevil a "tribal card" for this. He'll probably die when Thundercloud hits, but so what?

Crush Underfoot

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Oct-20 2:37 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Sun Titan is amazing. With Prime Time gone, it's easily the best titan. Synergizes with all the things.

Grave Titan generates a hell of a board presence. I think Sun Titan is probably the best non-Primeval Titan, but it isn't miles better than Grave Titan. That guy just generates a hell of a board presence without much work where Sunny T needs some setup to shine. If Primeval is a 10, I'd give Sun an 8.5 and Grave an 8, with Inferno coming in someplace at 5 and Frost at about a 4.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Oct-22 1:17 am 

I have a derpy Brion Stoutarm deck that has been tribal giant for a while.

Here is the list http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/30-05-15-thar-be-giants/

It used to be, a very effective, lifegain deck that could easily clock 1000 life at any given game, but I took it apart when 10 life sphinx and Sorin 1.0 started to be in - everything - and so... Giants.

I was about to take it apart and make it lifegain again, but of course I dominated the "last game" I played with it... so it lingers...

I really like the new giant legend, but Brion is still my homie and the deck is still geared toward flinging stuff. She'll definitely go in the deck though.

EDIT: Sun Titan is pretty much mandatory. Recurs your mana rocks and turns fetchlands into reliable land drops/ramp.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Oct-25 3:34 pm 

Few thoughts on giants:

First, a lot of cluster together at 4 mana, which won't trip your general's trigger. I'd skip the low drops and try to pack most of them in at 5+.

Second, I think there's some other really strong giants worth considering, like Stoneshock Giant, Magma Giant, Cloudgoat Ranger, and Kuldotha Ringleader.

Third, you might think about playing a reanimator package. White's got a lot of great cards for pulling stuff out of the graveyard (like the Resurrection cards or Emeria, the Sky Ruin), and Red's got lots of wheels and discarding cantrips to fill the 'yard with. The red cantrips also help you draw into lands (you're gonna need to hit a lot of land drops to make this deck work).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Oct-25 11:53 pm 

Kemev wrote:
First, a lot of cluster together at 4 mana, which won't trip your general's trigger.

What trigger are you talking about?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Oct-26 12:56 am 

Superstrength79 wrote:
Kemev wrote:
First, a lot of cluster together at 4 mana, which won't trip your general's trigger.

He's referring to the spoiled R/W general from Commander 2015. If you haven't seen it, it has a triggered ability that cares about you casting 5+ mana creatures.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Oct-27 1:46 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Superstrength79 wrote:
Kemev wrote:

He's referring to the spoiled R/W general from Commander 2015. If you haven't seen it, it has a triggered ability that cares about you casting 5+ mana creatures.

Ah, had Brion stuck in my head (since that's my dude).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Oct-27 2:20 am 

What about doing Giant/Dragon tribal. Giants and their pet lizards. There are lots of fun R/W dragons that have CMC >=5.

Or even Giant/Angel tribal if you wanted to keep it with human looking creatures. There's a substantial pool of high CMC angels as well, and that gets you a bunch of fliers.

Send forth the behemoths as the harbingers of your wrath and all that.

I like this idea ... I may have to use it. Always wanted to do something fun with angels.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-13 6:23 pm 

What else should be in the deck. It's close to 30 giants (need to obtain some still), but what non creature cards should I run. It has stonehewer and some equipment to take advantage of that. I started to put sunforger in, but I may take it back out as I don't want to search that much (esp not in reaction to a play). I'm thinking about light of sanctum and pyrohemia as they should both work well on their own and be a house when together. Any other ideas?

Offline Profile