Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-17 10:51 am

Post subject: My wife has 99 problems with her deck idea
AgePosted: 2015-Sep-13 3:13 pm 

Hello,

My wife is looking to build Jenara, Asura of war commander deck with the concept of putting large creatures into play and enchanting them to keep them alive using such things as Diplomatic Immunity and Shield of the Oversoul. However past a few of the staple enchantments like the ones mentioned above we are stuck on which others to include any suggestions at all would be great

Regards, Toxic

Current Decks:

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: My wife has 99 problems with her deck idea
AgePosted: 2015-Sep-13 7:10 pm 

toxicnecrotic wrote:
Hello,

My wife is looking to build Jenara, Asura of war commander deck with the concept of putting large creatures into play and enchanting them to keep them alive using such things as Diplomatic Immunity and Shield of the Oversoul. However past a few of the staple enchantments like the ones mentioned above we are stuck on which others to include any suggestions at all would be great

Regards, Toxic

Well I'm not sure about help keeping things alive outside of Gift of Immortality. In your "staples" have you included Rancor &Spirit Loop (note it doesn't grant Lifelink, so you can double up).

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Sep-13 8:31 pm 

Crab Umbra
Flickering Ward
Hyena Umbra
Cho-Manno's Blessing
Eel Umbra
Felidar Umbra
Flickerform
Spirit Mantle
False Demise
Pemmin's Aura
Snake Umbra
Fool's Demise
Spectra Ward

That is a short list of some possibilites.
I would also look into some reuseable recursion.

Dowsing Shaman
Hanna, Ship's Navigator
Silent Sentinel
Skull of Orm
Starfield of Nyx

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Sep-14 12:22 am 

Don't forget Umbra Mystic to give the rest of your auras Totem Armor.

Indestructibility is a card too.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Sep-14 3:41 am 

Inviolability is another one.

Sun Titan is great for aura decks, considering most of them have very low CMCs. Privileged Position protects your stuff while keeping up the enchantment theme. Same deal for Asceticism. Sterling Grove protects your enchantments and tutors. Dismiss into Dream turns all your enchantments into spot removal, and Yavimaya's Embrace and Spirit Away can take your opponents' good stuff or buff your guys in a pinch.

If you're going to run Jenara, Hardened Scales is pretty gnarly in that deck.

If you want to focus on making a nigh-untouchable creature, Worship could fit into the deck.

You could run Thran Golem in here. He hasn't seen any love in years.

Bladewing the Risen - MTG: Blood Dragon - OST by Powerglove
Dosan the Falling Leaf - Mono-Green Accelerator
Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter - Feed it to Vish
Toshiro Umezawa - Budget Creatureless
Prossh, Skyraider of Kher - Combo Jund
Marath, Will of the Wild - Beast-Mode Tribal
Scion of the Ur-Dragon - Mortal Combat Dredge
Kamahl & Jeska - Tag Team Voltron

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Sep-15 3:32 pm 

Thanks to all of those who replied i really like the suggestions we have taken the last day to look through my collection and have located a few of the things mentioned so that is a start. However we do have one more question now that we have some better cards to include. How do you all decide how much of a theme to include in your decks? how many auras is to many to include?

Current Decks:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Sep-15 6:48 pm 

Mostly trial and error. Also, playtest, playtest, playtest.

That aside, much of the decision rests on how much you are pushing the theme. If you use a full on Enchantment Matters theme (Verduran Enchantress, Mesa Enchantress, Lost souls of Alara, Kor SpiritDancer, Lotus-eye Mystics, etc.) then you will likely want a higher density of Enchantments overall, replacing normal choices with Enchantment versions to fill the same function when able (things such as Khalni Heart Expedition as mana ramp; Seal of Cleansing as spot removal; etc).

However, if you are just using Auras as a back-up the main suite, then you probably want to start at about 30% of your creature count in Auras (if running 30 creatures total, then 10 auras to start) and playtesting can help you determine if you need to push that number up or down. You don't want a grip full of Auras and no creatures; but you want to draw some early enough for them to matter. This is also why recurring Auras are helpful (False Demise, Rancor, etc) to get more bang from your aura slots.

I think my Enchantress deck has 25 or so enchantments - but my version is also RGW Hazezon Tamar and runs a lot of Man-lands, Zendikons and Genju (e.g. Raging Ravine, Crusher Zendikon, Genju of the Cedars) with things like Terra Eternal and Beastmaster's Magemark. It's a weird deck, but fun.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Sep-15 7:36 pm 

toxicnecrotic wrote:
Thanks to all of those who replied i really like the suggestions we have taken the last day to look through my collection and have located a few of the things mentioned so that is a start. However we do have one more question now that we have some better cards to include. How do you all decide how much of a theme to include in your decks? how many auras is to many to include?

This is all about the group you play with. Personally, the more you push your theme, the more interesting the deck and more fun it is to play/play against. However, the more you push the theme, unless your theme is a linear game mechanic as well, the weaker the deck will actually play. This is not a problem if the whole group plays that way, but the generic "good stuff" decks most people play will run over anything strongly themed enough to be interesting.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Sep-19 9:59 am 

enduring renewal and some impulse effects...

Offline Profile