Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-22 10:27 am

Post subject: The Death's King rises ~ (Assitance requested)
AgePosted: 2015-Aug-22 10:25 am 

Hello everyone, I'm delighted to join this community!
I'll present as a "tribal" player that enjoys with themed decks, especially with Zombies (and other undead creatures...).

I've always been looking for a perfect zombie tribal deck for me, but I never decide. So, I came here for help and learn more about Comamnder/EDH.

To begin with, I tell my options which have been so far:
Ghoulcaller Gisa / Stitcher Geralf
Grimgrin, Corpse-Born
Nekusar, the Mindrazer

The rest (Balthor, the Defiled, Geth, Lord of the Vault, Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord, Lord of Tresserhorn, Sedris, the Traitor King,Sidisi, Brood Tyrant, Skullbriar, the Walking Grave and Thraximundar) is within my possibilities but, the above are my favorites.

Definitely, I wish you help me choose, with congent reasons, and if possible, with budget suggetions for the deck. I want a deck with a cheap base to improve gradually.

Thanks for all, sorry for the inconveniences and nice to meet you!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: The Death's King rises ~ (Assitance requested)
AgePosted: 2015-Aug-22 12:00 pm 

Welcome to the boards!

I recommend NOT using Nekusar. He's really not very good unless you build around him, and if you build around him, he'll become obnoxious as crap and have very little to do with tribal stuff.

I'd suggest doing Grimgrin, and including Gisa and Geralf in the deck. There's loads of zombie themed cards in U/B to build a deck with.

Once you have at least a shell of a decklist, throw it up in the decklists forum, and I'm sure people will help you tune it.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Aug-22 2:03 pm 

First off, a nice general rule is that more colors = better, especially if you have a reasonable manabase. With that said, here is my personal opinion on each of those generals:

Gisa: She is my main mono-black general. She is awesome. Monoblack makes you miss some of the better zombies, but it's a small price to pay for her awesomeness.

Geralf: I find that the best way to build him is as more of a generic aggro-control, since blue zombies are relatively uncommon and blue reanimation is almost non-existent. I personally wouldn't choose him to head a zombie deck, although he is a cool general.

Grimgrin: He's usually a pretty solid choice. He has some tendencies to be antisocial and annoying, but only if you build/play that way intentionally. He also has all of the needed colors to unlock Zombies' full potential.

Nekusar: Read Grimgrin. He has the benefit of giving you red, but has a bit more of an antisocial tendency as he pushes linear and uninteractive strategies and also doesn't interact with zombies all that much.

Balthor: Like Gisa, he's awesome. I find that he tends to be more powerful but also more explosive, which in my opinion isn't as fun. But if that's your style, go for him.

Geth: He was the leader of what is now my Gisa deck for a long time. He is certainly extremely powerful and while he doesn't directly interact with zombies, he's pretty synergistic with them. He's also a lot of a "Timmy" card.

Jarad: Powerful and interesting, although he kinda leans toward a deck being built around him. Still worth using.

Lord of Tress: Not unless you like a challenge. He requires some serious build-around in order to function and even then he's only pretty good.

Sedris: Pretty much your staple "grixis reanimation" guy. He can be fun, although the unearth ability can make games seem kinda repetitive since you're using the same dudes over and over in the same game.

Sidisi: He is your only option if you want to go BUG. Otherwise, he's pretty solid, but again requires some build-around.

Skullbriar: No. His entire purpose is to be the focus of the deck, not to lead an already-focuses deck. He is a great general/card, just not here.

Thrax: I literally have no opinion for or against him. He does his job pretty well but not quite amazingly, and he has some synergy with zombies.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Aug-22 8:30 pm 

I think a Sidisi, Undead Vizier "commander", that digs for Ghoulcaller Gisa with a bunch of fatties and reanimation makes for a fun zombie swarm deck, even though the number of zombies actually in the deck is quite low, it quickly generates hordes

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Aug-23 12:44 am 

I've meditated and I think that I'll choose Grimgrin, all answers lead me to him: UB is core combination of Zombie Tribal, he is a sac engine and zombie of course, and his flavor from Innistrad with "Necro Brothers" is so awesome.

So, I proceed on Grimgrin to build the deck. I have some cards at home, like Gravecrawler, Diregraf Captain, Necromancer's Stockpile, Rooftop Storm among others, but I still need budget suggestions like "hidden gems", and then I will show a preview version of the deck.

Thanks for the help, greetings!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Aug-23 3:12 pm 

Baron Life wrote:
I've meditated

I'm picturing a man in quiet contemplation in some monastery high in the Himalayan mountains. Suddenly he has it! His inspiration! He will build.... Grimgrin!

Baron Life wrote:
I still need budget suggestions like "hidden gems"

Onslaught block had a bunch of good zombies at common and uncommon that shouldn't be too hard to find;
Vengeful Dead
Noxious Ghoul
Shepherd of Rot
Soulless One
Zombie Trailblazer
Gempalm Polluter - cycling with upside
Corpse Connoisseur
Viscera Dragger - cycling
Fleshbag Marauder
Twisted Abomination - cycling
The cycling ones play really well with things that return creatures to your hand (this should be easy)

If you can find them, these aren't bad;
Tombstone Stairwell - this combos nicely with Vengeful Dead and Noxious Ghoul. Note that your opponents' zombies trigger them too, so if the graveyards are even a little bit stocked, it's gonna be really hard to keep non-zombie creatures on the field, and every end step lets you distribute the pain. This will make you a target, but has a lot of potential.
Endless Ranks of the Dead - will get out of hand quickly.
Zombie Apocalypse - pretty much required by law in a deck like this
Zombie Infestation - in some ways not as good as the stockpile, but the tokens DO enter untapped
Grave Titan - Kind of a "duh" here too.
Call to the Grave

The hardest thing is going to be finding your zombie lords - there's lots of them out there, but their popularity on the casual market makes some of them more expensive;
Undead Warchief - $6
Lord of the Undead - $7
Death Baron - $13
Mikaeus, the Unhallowed - $13
Cemetery Reaper - $2
Risen Executioner - $2
Zombie Master - $3

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Aug-23 3:17 pm 

Also, not quite a "Zombie zombie", but Withered Wretch is arguably the best GU hate card in the format.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Aug-23 7:17 pm 

I would actually suggest using Nekusar. If you play with your mates and they won't just kill you because they are expecting 'Wheel.dec' which is the typical shit nekusar deck. Nekusar at the helm of tribal zombies is awesome, I use him for mine and its pretty epic. There are zero effects in there to take advantage of him, hes there for colours, hes a zombie, hes pretty big, and he can help refill your hand when it runs low (something mono Black zombie decks suffer from). You have to make sure you tell people its a tribal zombie deck though, or you will be hated out fast sadly. He also gives access to a few really nice zombies you can't get otherwise. Tymaret, murder king is pretty important, as is rooftop storm, this is my list http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/23-03-15-zombienation/

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Aug-24 3:41 am 

Baron Life wrote:
I have some cards at home, like Gravecrawler, Diregraf Captain, Necromancer's Stockpile, Rooftop Storm among others

You may want to consider carefully how your play group feels about infinite combos before you put Gravecrawler in the same deck as Rooftop Storm.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Aug-24 5:49 am 

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
Also, not quite a "Zombie zombie", but Withered Wretch is arguably the best GU hate card in the format.

Scaveging Ooze is better, but obviously not applicate in this particular case.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Aug-24 7:24 am 

thaumaturge wrote:
Uktabi_Kong wrote:

Ooze is a better card per se, but it's worse at the specific job of GY hate.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Aug-24 7:51 am 

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
thaumaturge wrote:
Uktabi_Kong wrote:

Ooze is a better card per se, but it's worse at the specific job of GY hate.

In what way? They both exile any 1 card from any GY for 1 mana, and Ooze has conditional upside. It does EXACTLY what WW does, but occasionally does more too.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Aug-24 7:56 am 

It's 1 green vs 1 colorless. If you aren't playing mono green, it is a worse at removing cards.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Aug-24 8:15 am 

MrCool wrote:
It's 1 green vs 1 colorless. If you aren't playing mono green, it is a worse at removing cards.

Oh. LOL, well, I play Scooze in 3-color decks all the time, and I've never had that be even a remotely relevant factor.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Aug-24 8:18 am 

thaumaturge wrote:
MrCool wrote:

Oh. LOL, well, I play Scooze in 3-color decks all the time, and I've never had that be even a remotely relevant factor.

So do I, and it has mattered many times.

Offline Profile