Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-23 3:46 am

Post subject: What kind of engine for Green/White/Blue?
AgePosted: 2015-Jul-15 2:25 am 

I'm working on my fifth deck now and having a bit of a case of deckbuilder's block.

I started MTG with a Grixis hand discard/jank/combo deck and blue became one of my favorite colors. Since then I've also built decks in mono red and mono blue. To tell the truth the only reason I'm making this deck is to get some good experience in unfamiliar colors since I've never played white or green before outside of a R/G Tiny Leaders deck.

I've settled on Rubinia Soulsinger as the commander but the rest is pretty up in the air. I started with an idea for a token/proliferate hybrid deck: Make a ton of 1/1s and 2/2s, give them +1/+1s by various means (Graft, Novija etc.) and then buff them up with Contagion Clasp, Contagion Engine, and cards with Proliferate secondary effects. Ramp for a couple turns in green, bust out some tokens, and by turn 7 you have a board full of 4/4s. Sounded good.

But the mana base was too intensive. To run even a few of the fat green utility critters I wound up at 36 lands, 7 artifact ramp, 7 land fetchers and a couple mana dorks. Reminds me of my mana base in Bolas. I was able to get the deck going but lack of spot removal and only 2 counterspells got me murdered by enchantments and other things. Between it all, both halves of the strategy, tokens and proliferate, don't have enough cards in the deck to give me consistent early advantage. In a test game I played we were on turn 8 before my first tokens hit the field from topdecking a Thopter Assembly. In several 1v1 test games I got destroyed utterly, one without casting a single creature (drew nothing but 5-6-7 drops while being beaten in the face by a CMC4 commander wearing boots).

So I'm looking for ideas on something competitive to build in these colors. My other decks range from casual (mono-red Urabrask) to utter cheese (Bolas mass discard) and I'd this to be competitive 1v1.

Was thinking maybe tons of blue/white removal combined with extra turn cheese and some simple combos with green critters for defense and utility.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: What kind of engine for Green/White/Blue?
AgePosted: 2015-Jul-15 5:05 am 

I play Pheldagrif Enchantress. It's pretty fun, though I'm thinking about switching to Angus Mackenzie at the helm to round out the pillow fort-ness.

Gath Immortal wrote:
Twenty Kavus and a Dream is not a legacy deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jul-15 5:38 am 

Derevi and Rafiq spring to mind as the go-to choices in Bant colors. Derevi is your more controlly/comboey option, and Rafiq can kill people obscenely quickly in the red zone.

Roon is also a decent option. There's a decent selection of blink in those colors and some powerful ETB effects to abuse with them.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jul-15 6:13 am 

Check the Rubinia link in my sig. It's very effective.

More generally, you should be able to build your green deck with enough ramp to get it competitive. Focus on the cards that put lands into play: cultivate, kodama's reach, skyshroud claim, solemn simulacrum, wood elves, sakura-tribe elder. Then just use a couple artifacts: sol ring, gilded lotus. Then you can also drop in mirari's wake and mana reflection, which put you way over the top.

You shouldn't have a problem with enchantments in GW. You can run: aura shards, acidic slime, reclamation sage, beast within, devout witness, freyalise, llanowar's fury for spot removal and then sweepers like : bane of progress, fracturing gust, austere command, and aura thief in blue.

I don't like 1v1; but if you insist on building for it: focus on cheap efficient beaters and removal, and card draw that's hard for people to interact with. Remember, 1v1 is like playing singleton legacy, so mostly you can just spend money on your deck and it gets better (ie, "cheap, efficient" "beaters and removal" is a lot of what makes a card cost money - cause it's effective in real formats).

Glint-Eye Nephilim (combat tricks, card draw, & creature pump)
Oloro Upkeep Tribal (enchantment-based control)
and more:Decklists

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jul-15 6:37 am 

Jenara, Asura of War

Go with a Blue and White flying theme with Green ramp. All flying, all aggro.

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jul-15 4:59 pm 

DarkswordDX wrote:
I've settled on Rubinia Soulsinger as the commander but the rest is pretty up in the air. I started with an idea for a token/proliferate hybrid deck: Make a ton of 1/1s and 2/2s, give them +1/+1s by various means (Graft, Novija etc.) and then buff them up with Contagion Clasp, Contagion Engine, and cards with Proliferate secondary effects. Ramp for a couple turns in green, bust out some tokens, and by turn 7 you have a board full of 4/4s. Sounded good.

But the mana base was too intensive. To run even a few of the fat green utility critters I wound up at 36 lands, 7 artifact ramp, 7 land fetchers and a couple mana dorks. Reminds me of my mana base in Bolas.

Token and Proliferate aren't generally decks styles that mesh well together (though both love Doubling Season) except in Ghave style decks. And Rubinia is likely not the best general choice for either tokens or proliferate. Generally, a Cathars' Crusade token deck doesn't need proliferate help to be overwhelming, and a proliferate deck has better things to do with the massive mana it can make (outside using mana doublers), Spikes, Graft, Outlast and Simic all have a lot of cards that manipulate the counters, give bonuses to creatures with counters etc.

That said...what Ramp are you using? I have built UW (Rasputin Dreamweaver) Proliferate, GW Proliferate (Chorus of the Conclave and Asmira, Holy Avenger), GWU Proliferate (Rafiq of the Many and Jenara, Asura of War) and WUBRG Proliferate (Progenitus Hydra Tribal). If you want to salvage this idea, in my experience, a Proliferate Ramp package should be some combination of:
Pentad Prism
Iceberg
Mana Bloom
Storage Lands (Like Calciform Pools)
Everflowing Chalice
Mana Bloom
Astral Cornucopia
Fertilid
Druids' Repository
Coalition Relic
Rasputin Dreamweaver

Not only do the counters build quickly, but once Inexorable Tide hits the table (if in blue), the mana explodes (even when it lasts only a turn or two).

Another deck that I enjoy in Bant is Rafiq of the Many, but he has such baggage that it is hard to convince people you aren't running a Voltron deck with him. Exalted theme with banding on defense can be very strong, and there are some interesting beaters you can use without going all in on Voltron strategy (Knotvine Paladin, Gemini Engine, Cold-eyed Selkie, etc).

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile