Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-16 9:59 am

Post subject: Replacements for my tuck effects?
AgePosted: 2015-Mar-25 7:12 am 

In light of the new rules regarding tucking of Commanders (imo I dislike) , since my play group follows ''official'' rules I'll be abiding by them till the decision is revoked.

I'm looking at my Daxos of meletis deck and see a few tuck cards that could be swapped out but Im unsure what I can replace them with.

Oblation is there a more efficient spell for the same task, loosing the power of 'commander-begone' does it weaken this card to much? (also play this in a token Marath deck)

Unexpectedly Absent though I'm unlikely to change this since casting for 0 to daxos any tasty nonland permanent is normally a sick play.

Spell crumple+Hinder These are the painful losses. So now I need some counterspells that could not make me hate this new rule. I already run the good counterspells so looking for others on this power level.

WTB 1UU - instant - counter target spell - if a commander is countered this way increase its tax by an additional 2
(i can dream)

Just wanted to add the only benefit I can think of with the new rule, Oblation/Chaos warp your own general to dodge removal and maybe gain value.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Replacements for my tuck effects?
AgePosted: 2015-Mar-25 7:27 am 

Keep Oblation! It's a very versatile removal card. If you really must lose it, Fate Forgotten is good stuff. Consistently relevant.

Again, there's literally no reason to not play your tuck counterspells. They're anti-recursion. If you were only using them against Commanders, then the rules change was targeted at you. For shame.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-25 10:15 am 

Uh, you do realize that almost every tuck spell is still good for this format, right? Unless there is an equally/cheaper costed exile effect, tuck still helps you deal with indestructibles and graveyard shenanigans.

If you're looking specifically for anti-Commander cards, try Arrest, Faith's Fetters and the like. Darksteel Mutation works well, too. If you don't need your creatures to be anything special, run Humility.

My Decks: Zombiepocalypse (Thraximundar) ♦ Thrun stands alone (voltron) ♦ Ashling the Burninator ♦ Doran beatdown (treefolk/plant tribal) ♦ Mine! (UB theft/clone) ♦ Vampire Beatdown (Edgar Markov) ♦ BW Enchantments (Daxos the Returned)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-25 10:27 am 

Nimbleroo wrote:
Oblation is there a more efficient spell for the same task, loosing the power of 'commander-begone' does it weaken this card to much? (also play this in a token Marath deck)
I've never been a fan of Oblation, though I can see its value in a token list. I'd suggest going for something like Oblivion Ring if you are just looking for a catch-all answer slot. Austere Command can also do some good work as a flexible removal spell.

Quote:
Spell crumple+Hinder These are the painful losses. So now I need some counterspells that could not make me hate this new rule. I already run the good counterspells so looking for others on this power level.
Dissipate is probably better than them as anti-recursion now. If you aren't running Dream Fracture, Arcane Denial, or Exclude, you should consider them. They are pretty good in multiplayer where going 1-for-1 with a single opponent puts the table up a couple of cards on you.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-25 12:23 pm 

Mindbreak Trap is great for exiling cards and gets around effects that say "can't be countered" with the bonus of dealing with storm, cascade, and it sometimes just randomly is free.

Retired:
Krenko, Mob Boss (Goblins)
Zedruu the Christmas Goat (group hug)
Ramses Overdark (Assassin Deck)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-25 1:33 pm 

Bruticus wrote:
Mindbreak Trap is great for exiling cards and gets around effects that say "can't be countered" with the bonus of dealing with storm, cascade, and it sometimes just randomly is free.

I love randomly free effects that are already good.

I upvote Mindbreak Trap. I'm surprised its still under $10.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-25 3:23 pm 

One option I forgot to mention before is Tawnos's Coffin - they either lose their commander until they destroy the coffin, or they uptick the cost by 2 and you do it again the next turn.

My Decks: Zombiepocalypse (Thraximundar) ♦ Thrun stands alone (voltron) ♦ Ashling the Burninator ♦ Doran beatdown (treefolk/plant tribal) ♦ Mine! (UB theft/clone) ♦ Vampire Beatdown (Edgar Markov) ♦ BW Enchantments (Daxos the Returned)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-26 3:26 am 

That's a pretty trick. I need to find a Coffin (and a spot in my Glissa deck) as long as it's price is reasonable. A hard card to find though.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-26 7:03 am 

Helm of Posession is even better - you get thier commander as long as it's in play, and all you have to do is sacrifice a creature- which is a benefit half the time. One of my favorite cards in this format - and if you copy it you create a really scary machine.

Norin the Wary (chaos control)
Talrand (mono-U tempo/Proteus Staff combo)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-27 2:17 pm 

Chamber of Manipulation + sac outlet is my favorite

Color Pie Project

White: Rune-Tail, Kitsune Ascendant
Blue: Braids, Conjurer Adept
Black: Anowon, the Ruin Sage
Red: Kumano, Master Yamabushi
Green: Omnath, Locus of Mana

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-29 12:02 pm 

There's always Vanishing or other reasonable phasing spells... Vanishing is amazing both offensively and defensively as it makes it nearly impossible to utilize their commander or kill yours.

Desertion is a great counter spell that gives you their commander.

Ixidron is another great "answer" as they'll be stuck face down til they can kill it.

It That Betrays is a colorless option. While most people hate annihilator, if you can force them to sac their general, it comes to you regardless of where it ends up.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Apr-04 4:40 am 

Epsilon wrote:
It That Betrays is a colorless option. While most people hate annihilator, if you can force them to sac their general, it comes to you regardless of where it ends up.

Does this work? Since your General going to the command zone was a replacement effect, you'd have the option to send it to the command zone before that trigger resolved.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Apr-04 6:17 am 

AnotherCounterspell wrote:
Epsilon wrote:

Does this work? Since your General going to the command zone was a replacement effect, you'd have the option to send it to the command zone before that trigger resolved.

I thought that it should work since it doesn't say "return it from the graveyard," but then I saw this:
Code:
If the sacrificed permanent that caused the second ability to trigger somehow leaves the graveyard before the ability resolves (possibly because it was returned to the battlefield by the ability of another It That Betrays), the ability simply won't do anything when it resolves.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Apr-04 8:38 am 

It that betrays steals sacrificed commanders from any public zone.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Apr-04 10:10 am 

The reason is because It That Betrays states "that card." That means that the card is tracked through the replacement effect.

The reason that Gatherer entry exists is for if you exile the card from the Graveyard (for example) after the trigger goes on the stack; as it's now in a different game zone, it's considered a different object. But the Commander replacement effect means that it never went to the Graveyard in the first place, so hasn't changed zones a second time.

Putrid Pirate Proliferation
Lord of Voltronhorn
Unlife of the Party
Jaya Ballard, Discard Mage
Zedruu and the Minotaurs
Vish Kal's ManSlaughterhouse
Izzet Any Good?

Chorus of Counters

Offline Profile