Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-19 6:13 am

Post subject: u/r artifact general
AgePosted: 2015-Jul-26 2:04 am 

With the custom general and origins pushing u/r artifacts I have been toying with building this deck. Unfortunately, most of the possible generals don't work thematically.

Maybe Nin, the pain artist? She does talk about devices after all, and she could always shoot a thopter to give cards. When I finish the deck list I will post it.

The overall strategy I am thinking is to go wide and then dig for Scrap Mastery to finish the job.

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: u/r artifact general
AgePosted: 2015-Jul-26 4:18 am 

Niv Mizzet is a supposed genius, and dragons like trinkets and gems and other things that are generally represented by artifacts. Artifacts tend to do two things well: make mana and draw cards. Both Nivs can exploit that to a pretty awesome extent.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jul-26 6:09 am 

I've been waiting for a U/R artifact general forEVER! Seriously, Wizards, what's taking you so long?! Nin won't let you down, that I can promise you, but she's not exactly thematic, unfortunately. Looking forward to the list. Just don't forget Stuffy Doll and Training Grounds ;)

In my late teens I was a Spike.
In my 20's I was a Johnny.
Now, I just like to play.
'Active decks' list here.
Currently hiring servants for my palace, made from my own walls of text.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jul-26 7:18 am 

I've been thinking about making a UR steampunk deck with Tibor and Lumia at the helm. They have absolutely nothing to do with thopters mechanically, though, so it is purely a cosmetic decision.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jul-26 7:33 am 

Yeah, it's funny how the Izzet, for all their steampunk mojo, don't work with artifacts at all (only thing coming to mind right now is Mizzium Transreliquat). Tibor and Lumia especially. Nin can at least put all those manarocks to a good use.

In my late teens I was a Spike.
In my 20's I was a Johnny.
Now, I just like to play.
'Active decks' list here.
Currently hiring servants for my palace, made from my own walls of text.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jul-26 7:51 am 

JJackson wrote:
I've been thinking about making a UR steampunk deck with Tibor and Lumia at the helm. They have absolutely nothing to do with thopters mechanically, though, so it is purely a cosmetic decision.

I have wanted to build with Tibor and Lumia but like you, I am having a hard time tying it thematically.

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jul-27 2:54 pm 

Antis wrote:
Looking forward to the list. Just don't forget Stuffy Doll and Training Grounds ;)

So I built the deck but did not have either available, nor did I have Thopter Spy Network or Academy Ruins (again i need to just buy another playset) I am hesitate to play or post the deck list.
I'll try and post tomorrow night.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jul-27 3:40 pm 

Jhoira is an artificer...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jul-27 7:09 pm 

Sovarius wrote:

She's also a huge target.

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jul-28 12:58 am 

zimagic wrote:
Sovarius wrote:

She's also a huge target.

Nothing says "I am about to drop stupid big stuff" like Jhoira.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jul-28 8:06 am 

Sovarius wrote:
...in name only. Her text box has nothing to do with artifacts whatsoever. I think the gist of what OP, myself, and most of the other folks in this thread are after is something a little less... generic. I.E. - something that is to an Artifact deck what Melek is to a "spells" deck. Something that actually mechanically refers to artifacts.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jul-28 11:56 am 

No shit, that's why the italics are there.

But she is at least actually an artificer. Nin is probably better if you are not trying to be a target, but only refers to devices in flavor text and has one artifact card with her name. Otherwise, she is probably more biologist than anything.

I'm very much vorthosian driven though. If i played 2-color decks at all and wanted UR artifacts i would play Jhoira because i like her. Not hard to really imagine suspend as putting blueprints to action and watching as they slowly come to creation, putting 2 mana down for large scary doomsday artifacts sounds fun as well. It kind of is a shame her card mechanics were about rifts and not her artifice, since she really has no time-related powers whatsoever anyway.

They really had a chance with Izzet to make at least one UR artifact general, as they are indeed artificers and create technology that is futuristic to us. Some Izzet are artificers, some create Weirds, whom are elementals and kind of like spells. But the card mechanics were set from the first Ravnica as spell based.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jul-29 12:02 am 

Sovarius wrote:
No shit, that's why the italics are there.

But she is at least actually an artificer. Nin is probably better if you are not trying to be a target, but only refers to devices in flavor text and has one artifact card with her name. Otherwise, she is probably more biologist than anything.

I'm very much vorthosian driven though. If i played 2-color decks at all and wanted UR artifacts i would play Jhoira because i like her. Not hard to really imagine suspend as putting blueprints to action and watching as they slowly come to creation, putting 2 mana down for large scary doomsday artifacts sounds fun as well. It kind of is a shame her card mechanics were about rifts and not her artifice, since she really has no time-related powers whatsoever anyway.

They really had a chance with Izzet to make at least one UR artifact general, as they are indeed artificers and create technology that is futuristic to us. Some Izzet are artificers, some create Weirds, whom are elementals and kind of like spells. But the card mechanics were set from the first Ravnica as spell based.

Yeah, that's the problem with the Izzet design - their art and flavor depicts them as steampunk-ish mad inventors. In the novels and stories they're usually tinkering with some kind of magical DEVICE, which would, most logically, indicate a mechanic that ties in to artifacts. But instead we get spells-matter type mechanics.

I don't mean to take anything for granted - I am a huge, huge fan of Melek, Wee Dragonauts and Izzet Chronarch and I'm glad those cards exist... but this is just one of those things were mechanics and flavor feel distinctly and jarringly at odds.

I understand, though, that WotC is explicitely aware of this disconnect, and they actaully tried to make the Izzet have artifact-centrered mechanics, but anything they could come up with that wasn't overpowered was also too parasitic for Limited, requiring them to devote too much space to artifacts, etc... I get that, and I accept that as a valid reason to do what they did. I just want them to rectify the situation by giving us the "Izzet ability that should have been" in a set where the Limited format isn't too crowded to support it, and to give us the proper Steampunk Mad Inventor legend we've been waiting for since Guildpact.

With Origins out now, though, I have a strong suspicion we'll have to wait until we get a block set on Kaladesh to get our U/R artificer legend. Fortunately, I also suspect we won't have to wait too long. A couple of years at most.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jul-29 12:32 am 

I've been thinking a bit about this and I think the best Izzet legend has to have en element of destructive chaos. There always seems to be a lot of things exploding in their attempts to conduct more powerful experiments. If it kills off the Legend too, all the better. Not sure how you'd word it but something along the lines of "When you activate an artifact you control, copy the effect. If it is not the first time you activate an artifact ability this turn, then sacrifice that artifact & deal 1 damage to ~this~."

Completely useless without artifacts and no reason to run him unless you're running artifacts with activated abilities so pushes you towards mad scientist "go big" decks. You get one free go each turn and then things start to explode and send shrapnel everywhere. :mrgreen:

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jul-29 12:53 am 

Flavorwise I like your thinking, but that doesn't sound very fun to play. I was thinking about something inspired by Lyzolda - i.e. sac a creature for damage, sac an artifact to draw a card, and if it's an artifact creature you get the best of both worlds... but I don't know how you'd differentiate it from Lyzolda enough that it's not basically the same card.

Offline Profile