Post subject: Aggro Concept
AgePosted: 2015-Jun-19 7:17 am 

Sulfuric Vortex
Witch Hunt
Ankh of Mishra
Price of Progress
Manabarbs
Primal Order

What do you think of the above package coupled with an aggressive creature curve?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Aggro Concept
AgePosted: 2015-Jun-19 1:58 pm 

Drop the Primal Order and put Zo-Zu the Punisher at the helm. Alternatively, get into black for some stuff like Spiteful Visions. Rain of Gore is good if lifegain runs rampant in your group. It really tells an Oloro player where they should go.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jun-20 5:26 am 

Yes there's lots of different directions you could take this. Karma for instance. Do you think the general strategy would be any good?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jun-21 10:51 pm 

I think it would piss the table off and make them focus on you, regardless of whether the deck is effective or not.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jun-21 11:39 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
I think it would piss the table off and make them focus on you, regardless of whether the deck is effective or not.
Gotta agree here. I like using these kinds of cards occasionally to put pressure on opponents, but they do draw a lot of hate your way. Use them all in your deck, and nobody will want your deck at the table, and will hate you out of any games it's played in.

My Decks: Zombiepocalypse (Thraximundar) ♦ Thrun stands alone (voltron) ♦ Ashling the Burninator ♦ Doran beatdown (treefolk/plant tribal) ♦ Mine! (UB theft/clone) ♦ Vampire Beatdown (Edgar Markov) ♦ BW Enchantments (Daxos the Returned)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jun-22 3:34 am 

Willbender wrote:
Sid the Chicken wrote:
Gotta agree here. I like using these kinds of cards occasionally to put pressure on opponents, but they do draw a lot of hate your way. Use them all in your deck, and nobody will want your deck at the table, and will hate you out of any games it's played in.

If your opponents are bad at threat assessment, that doesn't make this strategy not worth pursuing. I'd think that taking 2 damage per turn is mostly irrelevant considering you start with 40 life.

I think red black would be good for this strategy. There're good value cards in black that red lacks and there are a lot of pain over time cards in black as well. Also exsanguinate.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jun-22 3:53 am 

Thinking more about this, Mogis would be a spot-on commander for it. You could potentially go creatureless and just have Mogis get turned on by things like Furnace of Rath and Anthem of Rakdos...

Well shit, now I need to go make this deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jun-22 7:19 am 

MrCool wrote:
If your opponents are bad at threat assessment, that doesn't make this strategy not worth pursuing.

I disagree. Doing something you know is going to draw a response disproportionate to its actual threat level is stupid, unless you have some way to capitalize on the mistake.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jun-22 8:27 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
MrCool wrote:
If your opponents are bad at threat assessment, that doesn't make this strategy not worth pursuing.

I disagree. Doing something you know is going to draw a response disproportionate to its actual threat level is stupid, unless you have some way to capitalize on the mistake.

How would you know that there will be a disproportionate response? You somehow know that an opponent has bad threat assessment? In that situation it's best to not play any cards to avoid any reaction from them until they are sufficiently weakened to the point of it not mattering.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jun-22 9:02 am 

There is a kid that always plays Mogis. The 2 life is less annoying than the "Did you lose 2 or sacred a creature" every turn. Same problem as Rhystic Study.

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jun-22 10:48 am 

MrCool wrote:
How would you know that there will be a disproportionate response? You somehow know that an opponent has bad threat assessment?

This comes down to knowing your audience/playgroup. I'm sure there's people out there that don't mind a deck packed with upkeep pain. I'm also pretty confident in saying they're a minority. I see this deck getting really old really fast.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jun-23 1:04 am 

I threw together a Yasova Dragonclaw deck last night and played a few games. Note, I'm not saying this thread should be about this particular deck now. I won a few games with Price of Progress, but didn't really get much chance to use the other spells this thread is about. It felt pretty much the way I thought it would feel. Aggro backed up with a burn finish. It felt nice to be aggressive for once. There don't seem to be a lot of decks with sweepers running around mostly just midrange. I'de like a chance to do more testing against a deck with a lot of sweepers. Any thoughts?

Offline Profile