Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-16 6:17 am

Post subject: 5 Color Strategies ....All you need to know that I can share
AgePosted: 2015-May-09 5:41 am 

So as far as 5 color decks there are 3 main points that you need to take into account. Doesn't matter if this is before you build a 5 color deck or not because you need to constantly reevaluate your deck to improve it, or like in my case, to tinker with your deck on trying new things.

1. Your land base doesn't have to be perfect but you need to find the right amount of lands that work for your deck that also fit your budget. This is the most important thing you need to have to make your 5 color deck functional. You can cheat and play bounce lands as in the long run they make more mana for you than your opponents but if any of them do land destruction, you're screwed. Many times I've had my lands blown up which is frustrating.
2. Decide on what 3 things to support your deck; land ramp, mana dorks like elvish mystic or birds of paradis or to work with artifacts- mana rocks like Sol Ring or mana ramp like wayfarer's bauble. Unfortunately, this is almost required because unlike other players, you don't always get the right type of mana or enough mana that you need to activate abilities or to cast the spells that you want to use. Yes Mana dorks- which while they work, (I personally would recommend Bloom Tender by the way) they tend to die to often when you need them the most, and they normally don't make mana of the same turn that they are played. Artifacts almost never have that issue and it's not very likely they'll be blown up turn 2 or 3.
Another important reason why artifacts should be considered is that unlike lands You're not limited to playing one a turn and you can interact alot more with them than you can with lands- especially if they're artifacts with affinity which is one of the strongest aspects when concerning cost. Especially if you're like me and you run Sydri in your deck both to discourage them from swinging at me with an equipped sword that gives protection from my creatures or simply to get rid of an artifact that is annoying when someone boardwipes.
3. The 2nd most important reason is this: Strategy
How do you plan on winning or at least to play your deck? Do you win through creatures or through dealing damage or with another strategy? This may also affect your choices of color that you play as your commander says everything about you as well as everything about that deck and sometimes even style of play. For some, it's not just a commander that provides a great ability, for others, it's a great card that is in the colors that you like/ want to play in, or you're like me and your commander becomes your identity and you utilize as much as him (or her~ I don't judge as I have at least 10 sweethearts in my deck at any given point) as possible that both serve as eye candy and disruption while helping me to secure my position.

Once you got the first three main points down, then it just comes to building your deck; or rebuilding it and play-testing it. That's the long arduous and sometimes boring part that is needed but not always liked or wanted.

Now before we go any further, to help illustrate many of the points that I have made and would like to make here, Here is a link to the main 5 color edh deck that I use and love. Some of the cards that are in it (and will never leave) were given to me by friends- some of who no longer play the game sadly.
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/5-color-scion-legendary-toolbox-edh-deckprimer/

Combo:
As a rule of thumb, 5 color decks are weaker but more versatile, flexible than most other decks. While these decks have the most problems with correct mana and land destruction and can unfortunately expensive to fix (some lands can easily go for $20+), they make up for in being able to have access to every color, and cannot be controlled as easily by other players. I mean cards like Iona, Jin-Tax.(the blue praetor), are a nuisance but they don't prevent you from being able to play the game. Even strategies like the mill strategy often backfire because with generals like Scion, you can choose to play off the graveyard or to do some sort of reanimation which can actually work to your benefit.

Synergy:
I started off playing my 5 color legendary and tried to shove in as many combos as possible and found out that while you can have a toolbox kind of deck, it's often loose and can fall apart quite easily; or it can simply fail you when you need it the most. However, synergy is what helps to keep your deck going or to help rebound after a setback (like land destruction, hand being discarded, a boardwipe, etc;) However, synergy is needed in order to have not just a great deck, but a deck that works and is consistent.

Being Proactive/ Reactive:
There is much to be said about those who play with counterspells (those who are reactive) and those who play Craterhoof Behemoth (those who are very proactive). What I have found to be the best solution (this is not for every 5 color Mage) is to walk the line between both. The trick is in how you do that. That is up to you, but I did post a link to my own deck to help give you ideas.

However, not every player plays in or with blue cards/ spells so alternate cards must be found. It could be as simple as equipment like lightning greaves to keep your general safe, darksteel forge to make your artifacts indestructible, or simply play something like asceticism to keep opponents from targeting your creatures. You could also do the opposite and just do straight damage like playing spells like Mizzium mortars or blasphemous be reactive when an opponent does something particularly nasty or is about ready to combo off.

Defensive:
For those who play pillowfort decks, you understand this well, but for those who don't... well you need some form of protection when playing 5 colors. It's not mandatory but it helps out a bunch- either when you first start off a game or late game when you need something to help boost your defenses. It could be as simple as a creature buffer for your creatures or something to help encourage others to not attack you (2 Thumbs up for Edric~ besides what better card is there to encourage others not to attack you?). For others, it's in the form of artifacts and enchantments and for others it's in creatures and in lands or in spells like Cyclonic Rift.

Lastly, while I will add onto this later, the key to getting better with a 5 color deck (besides playing it alot) is to constantly tinker, to evaluate and to strive upon improving your deck. The better it plays, not only will the more you learn, but you'll also get better learning the interactions, the limitations and what your interests are with that particular 5 color deck. For me, it took me about a year till I realized that I wanted my Scion Edh deck to be a legendary creature deck and not a legendary dragon deck. Who knows, you might actually come to have fun too!

Last edited by Trainer on 2015-Jul-25 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: 5 Color Strategies ....All you need to know that I can share
AgePosted: 2015-May-10 5:32 am 

Getting the right colors on mana can be a bit of an uphill battle, but as long as you plan for it there shouldn't be a problem. Also while a perfect mana base is quite expensive, running a heavy green with rampant growth effects or mana rocks like darksteel ignot can often make up for using just basics.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-May-16 6:13 am 

Agreed. Once you get your lands down right, then focus on your strategy and then the cards that support your strategy. Like my deck for example, even though I made scion my general I knew in my heart the deck would never 100% revolve around him but around the Legendary creatures that are in it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jun-05 12:43 am 

My favorite part was how lands can cost $20+! Or $50+ Or $100+

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jul-25 5:48 am 

Most of my lands I got for cheap and to help out with the colors I got the ravinica bounce lands which help out alot and allow me to play with 36 lands.

Btw, I did update and tweak my original post in case anyone didn't read it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Sep-13 9:24 am 

In terms of mana fixing, one of the most important things that I don't see on here is cantrip/library manipulation. things like Brainstorm, Ponder, Preordain, Mystic Speculation, Sleight of Hand, etc. all allow you to do so much work in terms of mana fixing. It's the main way I ensure I'm hitting land drops in my Horde of Notions deck, and that deck only runs 32 lands.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Sep-19 7:24 am 

Phone wrote:
In terms of mana fixing, one of the most important things that I don't see on here is cantrip/library manipulation. things like Brainstorm, Ponder, Preordain, Mystic Speculation, Sleight of Hand, etc. all allow you to do so much work in terms of mana fixing. It's the main way I ensure I'm hitting land drops in my Horde of Notions deck, and that deck only runs 32 lands.

Thanks. I forgot about that. That is important for land or card fixing. I'll add that later though.

Offline Profile