Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-17 10:47 am

Post subject: Colors and Commanders for a dedicated mill deck.
AgePosted: 2015-Mar-14 5:31 pm 

If i was of mind to play such a deck, would you recommend adding a third color? I don't think that i want to play just UB.

UBG gives me things like Lord of Extinction and Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord as backup plan. Prophet of Kruphix and Seedborn Muse for things like Phenax, God of Deception, Stitcher Geralf and maybe counter mana.

UBR gives me access to all the wheel effects. Nekusar is an obvious choice of synergy with the added wheel effects, but also Jeleva is mill and free spells. Could also play Breaking/Entering, which should be legal in a UB deck anyway as far as i'm concerned.

UBW gives additional control or pillowfort options, name some things like Solitary Confinement, Ghostly Prison effects. Could play Oloro, he is a viable control commander option always. Sen Triplets is an alternative.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Colors and Commanders for a dedicated mill deck.
AgePosted: 2015-Mar-15 2:08 am 

I wouldn't dilute the mill unless you were using some nontraditional type that combines damage and mill with something like Guiltfeeder and Mindcrank. You're likely to be going it alone otherwise and the odds are against you in a multiplayer game. Grixis would be my favorite if you were to go 3-color, for the Wheels as you suggested.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-15 12:18 pm 

Adding a color doesn't necessarily dilute it though, it just means there really isn't a commander that says mill on the card. Except basically Jeleva. I just mean that if i played Nekusar instead of Phenax, for example, i could play exactly the Phenax deck -Phenax if i chose to. The difference being that if you wanted to change a few cards into red, you could.

I do think that adding a third color would increase the options, and the penalty of not having a commander with mill on the card does not outweigh that.

I love Wheel of Fortune, though UBG gives you the solid backup of beating ass when needed. Vulturous Zombie can swing. There is some ok G graveyard hate that exiles targets, Scavenging Ooze and Necrogenesis come to mind.
Such like Treasured Find, Regrowth, and Eternal Witness are good for getting back some otherwise one-shot effects, including graveyard nailers like Tormod's Crypt.

Also UB does suffer in regards to artifact and enchantment hate, and in a deck already slightly weaker than winning via damage in some form, it would be good to minimize other weaknesses.

edit: Also prepared to use Grimoire of the Dead, Liliana Vess, and Rise of Dark Realms as win-cons. There is also a chance i reanimate a creature combo, which is not negligible either.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-15 1:01 pm 

I'd have to see the deck. It could work, I'm just not sure how well. I really ought to look into more ways to turn mill into damage (and vice versa), if only to see if they can fit into Phenax.

I'd opine that Phenax.dec -Phenax wouldn't work. At least not the way I play him. I really ought to post up all my lists anyway. Maybe Phenax can be tonight's project...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-15 3:32 pm 

I'd go UBG myself, not only for the reasons you listed, but it also opens you up to some great ramp choices: Cultivate, Kodama's Reach, Sakura-Tribe Elder, Realms Uncharted, Farseek, or Skyshroud Claim, as well as things like Worldly Tutor, Praetor's Counsel, Creeping Renaissance.

For a general I'd probably run The Mimeoplasm. It allows you to exile problem cards, as well as stealing the abilities of those cards, each time it's resurrected.

Sapling "I'm invincible!"
Rofellos "Autopilot"
Teferi pt. 2 "All your spells are belong to me"
Teferi pt. 1 "Agents of Artifice"
Rafiq "of the bad-assery"
Brion "Jerry Flinger"
Jhoira "Let's do the time warp again"

Offline Profile