Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-16 6:29 am

Post subject: The deck that never gets old?
AgePosted: 2015-Feb-18 10:47 am 

So I really enjoy playing combo style decks but I find not only my opponents but myself as the pilot tend to usually see the new interaction once, go "that's kinda neat" and then subsequent games immediately turn into "oh, this again" pretty much every time because, realistically you're just fishing for the same cards every game in an attempt to put something together whether it's Kiki + Concripts derp I win or Doubling Season + Copy Enchantment (Doubling Season) + Karn, Liberated restart the game.

Naturally you would think that adding more combos/interactions into the deck would vary things up but really most of the time it's still centered around a few key cards with a slightly different end result.

I can't say I've ever found a deck whose interactions never get old, although I'm not sure if that's a result of my deckbuilding style or simply the fact that there is only so much you can fit into a 100 card deck. My Kresh the Bloodbraided deck has myriad ways to kill my opponents but when I think about it, each one of them really just boils down to "do lots of damage in one shot"

I'm curious how other people deal with getting bored of a deck's interactions, have you ever found a deck or that plays differently enough each game to satisfy you or have you only found variety in building a large number of different decks?

We need a clear set of objective rules so that everybody always knows what to expect, and how to prepare for it. As of now, I think I spend more time arguing with players about the format than I do playing fun and interactive games of Commander. And last time I read, this was not the format's purpose.

QFT

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: The deck that never gets old?
AgePosted: 2015-Feb-18 11:06 am 

One deck that never gets old to me, is Damia. Unless my opponents are being royal jerks of extreme porportions, or the deck is just not performing by some astronomically dumb luck, then it's always fun and games with Wurmcoils, Crush of Wurms, Wrexial, lots of zombies and RAMP RAMP RAMP.

Also, Evangela/Oloro has been pretty fun for the last couple of years.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Feb-18 12:33 pm 

I have not found a deck that Never gets old. I have had several decks for more than a year... which comparatively is forever. Reality is that even if you are smashing in with a different dude, or comboing out with a different combo, if you are not playing with a good group of people that add variety even the best ideas will become stale.

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Feb-18 2:31 pm 

Well, you could always play centered on a copy/clone/steal deck. That deck concept basically just snags stuff other people are running and beats them with their own decks - so you pretty much end up controlling different things every game.

The other option to make sure a deck doesn't become repetitive is to have very few tutors or diggers in the deck - if you have to actually play with what you naturally draw, you can't rely on just a few certain cards to win things.

My Decks: Zombiepocalypse (Thraximundar) ♦ Thrun stands alone (voltron) ♦ Ashling the Burninator ♦ Doran beatdown (treefolk/plant tribal) ♦ Mine! (UB theft/clone) ♦ Vampire Beatdown (Edgar Markov) ♦ BW Enchantments (Daxos the Returned)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Feb-18 2:40 pm 

Gath Immortal wrote:
have you only found variety in building a large number of different decks?

That's my strategy. I like all my decks - I just don't want to play any given one of them week after week after week.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Feb-18 10:20 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Gath Immortal wrote:
have you only found variety in building a large number of different decks?

That's my strategy. I like all my decks - I just don't want to play any given one of them week after week after week.

I can't understand how people do that.

I generally turn over 10+ decks a year. From the start of 2014 through to now I've had and played 21 decks (ok a couple were morphs of previous ones but significantly different to be able to count them separately) but there's players in my group that have very few decks decks and only play them.

One player has played Mono-W Gerard for the past 15 months with almost no card updates. I don't know how he does it and still stays interested in playing, it'd drive me insane. Another only plays Balthor Zombies or Purphoros Goblins. Just to remind you we play every working day of the year here as the playgroup is at our workplace so we're talking about approx. 200 days of Commander (cutting holidays, sealed/draft & weekends) Imagine playing just one or 2 decks for all that time?

Willbender wrote:
Well, you could always play centered on a copy/clone/steal deck. That deck concept basically just snags stuff other people are running and beats them with their own decks - so you pretty much end up controlling different things every game.

This is about the only deck I've always wanted to build but never have. I'll have to source a Lazav and build it one day.

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Feb-19 1:28 am 

Maybe target cards you don't think get old?

Deadbridge Chant doesn't get old to me. I love graveyard play, the card you get is a gamble (i don't play delve cards or Withered Wretch), and the 10 cards off the top is of course random as well.

I like Warp World a lot. It can generally be annoying but i don't feel bad about it since a lot of board states end up unfavorable (Prophet of Kruphix, Consecrated Sphinx, Survival of the Fittest, Animar, Soul of Elements, etc). The random chance can also be pretty exciting, if you like to gamble.

I would avoid infinite loops. Avoid tutors (except fetchlands and land ramp), especially crap like Tooth and Nail, Survival of the Fittest, or Arcum Dagson.

Do you like combat? Use creatures that change combat in some way. I really like Boros Battleshaper and Domineering Will. Or you could do Dueling Grounds effects to make an arena. Or Grounds and Battleshaper, which would be really cute.

Also if you choose not to play tutors, use those slots for Mindlock Orb, Stranglehold, Ob Nixilis, Unshackled, Tunnel Ignus, etc.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Feb-19 1:52 am 

I have some decks that have been built for years, and part of what keeps them interesting is updating them with new cards. The largest factor separating the decks I keep from the ones I don't is simply theme. Decks with a theme I like that is NOT based on a game mechanic tend to stay interesting both to play and to tinker with the list. Also, I find the stricter I keep myself to that theme, the more I enjoy the deck, so the longer I keep it.

This will not work for most people, though, as these boards show, most people seem to just play mid range good stuff decks, and throw a handful of borderline good cards in and call it a theme. My playgroup straight up refuses to play good stuff garbage, and that is the greatest thing that ever happened to support out group.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Feb-19 8:21 am 

I only have 4 decks in paper, but I rarely play paper too. Those four decks offer enough variety for me considering how much (little) I get to play. Online I have a much larger stable of decks since it is easier to keep a large group of decks. I can tell I have been worn out on one when I go a year without updating the decklist. I'll go in spurts where I only play one or two of the decks for weeks (usually when games are unsatisfying for one reason or another) then I'll go a week never playing the same deck twice.

So, LSS, it varies.

zimagic wrote:
Willbender wrote:

This is about the only deck I've always wanted to build but never have. I'll have to source a Lazav and build it one day.

Halfdane, to me, makes a more interesting version of that deck. Adding W, with access to Mirror Entity, Mirrorweave, damage redirection effects (stop hitting yourself), etc is a nice bonus. Style points for using a Legends legend takes it over the top. Mine is Shapeshifter tribal, for the fun of it.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Feb-20 2:39 am 

I don't really have decks that get old. Sometimes I get tired of playing a deck, but if I initially like a deck enough to play it long enough for it to get old, I will always go back to that deck and revisit it time and time again.

Rafiq for example is one of my all-time favorite EDH decks. At one point, in fact, it was THE favorite deck in my stable. But occasionally another Bant general will come along (right now it's Derevi) and I'll give Rafiq a break to try the new thing, but I always come back to him as my go-to guy for Bant.

Basically, a deck "gets old" if I dislike it or I am disappointed in it right out of the gate. I've built decks and from the first one or two games I was like "Oh, wow, I hate this deck already" and I quickly give up on it and take it apart. Then there are decks that seem like I missed the target when building, but the idea still has potential. I try to salvage the deck, and give it another chance. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't.

But if I build a deck, and haven't dismantled it within 6 to 10 games, it's probably a deck I'm going to have around for a long, long time.

EDIT: Mayael the Anima makes a liar out of me. I had a Mayael deck, and I loved it for a good two, three years or so. Then I just thought I'd try something else in those colors, and built Uril, then after a while Rith, and then finally settled on Marath (whom I love dearly and will probably be my permanent go-to for Naya from now on!). I THOUGHT I was just giving Mayael a break and that I'd eventually, inevitably go back to her, because I never really got to the point where I disliked the deck... but in the years since I took her apart, I have never once had the slightest complusion or desire to rebuild her.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Feb-20 6:37 am 

I too use the strategy of having lots of decks to keep things from "getting old". There are a few specific decks that have never gotten old for me.

RDW- Not an EDH deck, but I've always loved the interaction of red based agro decks.
High Tide or Merfolk- for legacy play. maybe its the competitive nature of when I play these that keeps these from getting old...

I don't think I've played 1 commander deck for more than a dozen games. The only time I really dislike a deck is when the power level of the other decks I'm playing against are way off (either much better or much worse).

Other things I have found make game play old fast and I now try to avoid are tutors, +1/+1 counters, storm, and tokens that I don't have the tokens for.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Feb-22 4:51 am 

For me, the closest thing I got is Nin. As in when I'm choosing a deck to play, Nin is the default for me. It has the right amount of power, versatility and unpredictability, can be aggressive, can defend itself, can break stalls, can survive without general and almost never is the #1 target on the table. Love it.

That being said, I'm nowhere near 200 MTG days a year like Zimagic here, so I my MTG fatigue seldom gets high in general.

I also almost never dismantle my decks. I just get attached :)

In my late teens I was a Spike.
In my 20's I was a Johnny.
Now, I just like to play.
'Active decks' list here.
Currently hiring servants for my palace, made from my own walls of text.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Feb-23 2:49 pm 

A couple of suggestions I have is cut tutors and minimize your access to linear strategies. The less reliably you have access to any given card, the more you will be forced to seek alternate routes to victory. So if you cut your ability to search your deck as much as possible you will find you have to make do with whatever cards you happen to draw. This means you need to build it additional redundancy or alternate victory conditions.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Feb-24 1:37 pm 

One of my favorite decks is my Sapling of Colfenor deck. When I started the deck, I set a restriction that every creature in the deck had to have toughness > power (so I always gain life off of Sapling when I hit it). It makes it super exciting to look through the spoilers of a new set (or someone else's trade binder) to see new creatures which fit the criteria.

I have around 10 decks, and while I enjoy playing all of them, I don't always update each deck every set. But I always update Sapling.

Many of the cards eligible for Sapling aren't obvious goodstuff cards, so I have to play with them to see how they work in the deck. Doing this, I've found a few cards that are really gems in the deck that I would've never thought of. I have killed enough people with Unyaro Bees that it now elicits a Nicholas Cage-esque reaction in my playgroup. I accidentally stumbled over the super value combo that is Faceless Butcher and Deadwood Treefolk.

When you have a restriction on a deck, and you see a new card that *gasp* you can actually play, it just is such an exciting feeling and makes me want to play with that deck again every time.

Riku: Pump Spells
Teneb: Life Manipulation
Kiki-Jiki: Big Red
Geth: Nim
Kodama of the North Tree: Hard Mode Voltron
Nin: Elementals
Sram: Jankstorm
Zur: Zombies
Rhys the Redeemed: Aura Voltron
Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh: Chandras
Ojutai, Soul of Winter: Tap Out Control
Alesha: Allies
Inalla: Treasures
Vial Smasher: Lava Axes
Atraxa: Counterless Keywords
Ludevic and Tymna: Curses

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-10 8:48 am 

Yes, I have actually built a deck that plays differently almost every time in the form of my "I hope you know how layers/timestamps works" deck. Its my Ink-treader Nephilim deck that's halfway between group hug and slug.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/i-hope-you-know-how-the-rules-work/

I lost some cards for it recently and am getting replacements as I can, but most cards in the list are pretty intrchangeable. Most of the cards that target something could be any other card that you like that targets a creature. Because I run very little protection (intentionally) the game can get pretty interactive when other players target my commander and thereby Radiate. The plethora of hug and ramp effects means lots of variables in the game. I wind up playing less of "My deck" and more of altruistically playing everyone's deck, not because I'm controlling them or being unfair/unfun but because I sit down with this deck with the mindset of being an enabler and watching people sling all sorts of crazy shenanigans around.

Offline Profile