Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-23 3:48 am

Post subject: Re: Is theft cards boring?
AgePosted: 2014-Dec-07 2:53 pm 

Yea. I love to ramp and cast huge creatures, but at some point it feels like autopilot and you should be smacked around. I'm more choosy about what large creatures i ramp into (i also feel like a prick if i cast Vorinclex/praetors, eldrazi, Blightsteel, Terastodon, etc on turn 4-5 and that's not how i want to feel when i get to play EDH) and what i want do with them when out, and i also play my own suite of clones out the butt too.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Dec-09 12:15 am 

theft decks I consider boring, they wait and wait for other stuff to be cast, usually for more mana, then pinch them and win. Yawn. Or they cast bribery and find the best creature out and win. More Yawn. I don't even like RoR tbh as thats pretty similar but at least it costs more mana not less. I don't run broken creatures, so stealing them is fine and I can fight back, it's boring when the deck opposite you is reactive and not proactive IMO. We don't play control for similar reasons. I think we as a group just prefer big swingy games or slaps and wraths. The occasional Beacon of unrest, and clone is just good sense, if a bit 'staply' (staple-esque?) but yeah, boring. Do something original, a deck full of clones reanimation and steal cards does not an interesting deck make. My decks are often not worth trying to steal anyways, burn, tokens, mill etc, there are usually better targets but hey, if they steal something, I will get it back or get revenge :wink:

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Dec-09 1:50 am 

I don't mind a random theft here and there. What I despise are theft-centric decks. They slow the entire game down as people become reluctant to play anything for fear of it being stolen.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Dec-09 7:10 am 

Kall3m0n wrote:
I changed my deck a bit.
Would you like to play against it?
Why or why not?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/07-12-14 ... -ri-berit/

I would not. Merieke is a good commander for a control deck, ensuring you always have the biggest creature threat or just killing opposing creatures. But like many esper commanders doesn't push you towards any particular theme. The deck isn't a full blown theft deck, but from what I can tell, you've just built a deck of powerful cards, with no overarching theme at all.

Pick some kind of strategy, theme or combination of cards you want to play and build around it in a way that makes your deck have its own personality. As it stands you have 5 cards to mill people out just because you can, a bunch of flicker cards for no apparent reason, several clone and theft cards because Merieke wasn't good enough for you and death to the debtless, making games end just when they were getting interesting.

I suppose you're at least a decent enough human being to not be playing Dead-Eye Navigator.

Yasova Dragonclaw - Yasova Tinyclaw/Slightly-less-tinyclaw
Kruphix, God of Horizons - That Which Was Taken by Kruphix
Selvala, Explorer Returned - Blackless dredge
Freyalise, Llanowar's Fury - Monogreen Superfriends
Pharika, God of Affliction - Hemlock

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Dec-09 7:28 am 

Ski Gloves wrote:
Kall3m0n wrote:
I changed my deck a bit.
Would you like to play against it?
Why or why not?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/07-12-14 ... -ri-berit/

I would not. Merieke is a good commander for a control deck, ensuring you always have the biggest creature threat or just killing opposing creatures. But like many esper commanders doesn't push you towards any particular theme. The deck isn't a full blown theft deck, but from what I can tell, you've just built a deck of powerful cards, with no overarching theme at all.

Pick some kind of strategy, theme or combination of cards you want to play and build around it in a way that makes your deck have its own personality. As it stands you have 5 cards to mill people out just because you can, a bunch of flicker cards for no apparent reason, several clone and theft cards because Merieke wasn't good enough for you and death to the debtless, making games end just when they were getting interesting.

I suppose you're at least a decent enough human being to not be playing Dead-Eye Navigator.

It was a full blown theft deck from the beginning, but complaints got me to remove most of them. All the exile is because EVERYBODY (including me ><) is abusing their graveyards.
I have 2 mill cards, Oona and Phenax and it's a back-up plan for massive life gain. Drownyard is there for when ppl tutor to the top of their library, and it's only a threat.
The "bunch of flicker cards" is the Closet and Mistmeadow. They are there for ETB-effects from the clones, the token producers, the Arcaeomancer, Desciple, Luminate and Rune-Scarred. Mistmeadow is mostly for Berit and protecting creatures from exile since I don't have a sac outlet, other than Desciple of Bolas.
No, Merieke is actually a pretty crappy theft card.
Debt to the Deathless is a finisher for the very late game when it's time to end it and start a new game.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Dec-09 7:30 am 

Ski Gloves wrote:
a bunch of flicker cards for no apparent reason

With MRB at the helm, I'd say there is a good reason for them.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Dec-11 10:13 am 

I have a Sen Triplets deck which is definitely themed around stealing all the things. If it isn't nailed down I'll take it.

Well that's the theme, in practice I am somewhat more judicious about what I take and when, and I have a dozen decks, so I only play it occasionally. I believe a theft deck should be fine, and like most things it's about how you play it.

I do have to support the "Broken things deserve to be stolen" movement. I will most frequently bring out Sen against people that are playing busted stuff. In most recent memory I have played it against a Jin-Gitaxis deck, vorinclex and you truly have not lived until you cast desertion against someone playing fist of suns and progenitus.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Dec-11 11:52 am 

I don't know, are they?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/copy-n-steal-everything/

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Dec-11 1:05 pm 

Joz wrote:

Not working, Joz.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Dec-11 1:09 pm 

Kall3m0n wrote:
Joz wrote:

Not working, Joz.

Um, have you double checked?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Dec-11 1:14 pm 

Joz wrote:
Kall3m0n wrote:
Joz wrote:

Not working, Joz.

It works now. o0 Weird.
I like the deck, but it seems like it's only fun to play 2-3 times.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Dec-11 2:38 pm 

Kall3m0n wrote:
Joz wrote:
Kall3m0n wrote:

It works now. o0 Weird.
I like the deck, but it seems like it's only fun to play 2-3 times.

The point of that deck - is to only have to play it once, and make the game so miserable for everyone that they realize the errors of their ways and play with less fancy toys.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Dec-18 12:25 pm 

Yikes, so many people here would hate my Nin deck. I personally have built the "all your things belong to me deck" and while I find it enjoyable to play, I understand where so many of you guys are coming from. I think ultimately the deck comes with its own set of drawbacks--playing such a deck naturally relies on other players using big nasty critters and objects worth stealing. Which leads others in my meta at least to just play their Rhys deck, or they're Sygg Zombie deck. In truth, Nin gets rofl-stomped if the creatures other's play are just 1 in 100. So I call it a wash.

I think it's a fun deck to play every once in a while, but I play my other decks much more. :)
good luck out there.

Ely

Offline Profile