Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-16 6:40 pm

Post subject: Re: What should I do with this deck skeleton? GUx lands
AgePosted: 2014-Dec-25 8:56 pm 

This sounds pretty excellent.
The mass land animation seems like it would be a very negative blowout for some players were creatures to be wiped.

Would love to hear updates, seems like a more acceptable middle ground between my Radha/Titania deck no-one likes and my Damia deck no-one likes. :D

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Dec-27 4:39 am 

Ban Ki-moon wrote:

How much of this (from the OP) are you actually using?

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Dec-29 4:20 am 
EDH Rules Committee

I believe he included everything except Clear the Land, Merfolk Wayfinder, Coiling Oracle, Explorer's Scope, Druidic Satchel and Pedantic Learning. He did keep Flux, but that should probably be cut too.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Dec-29 9:33 pm 

How tight is his list and is he playing any lifegain?

I've had more than a few Lifegifts die quickly because huge volume of incremental lifegain. That said, it's generally in decks that people are gunning pretty hard for me so every little helps.

I'm using Ghost Town (and Oboro, Palace in the Clouds) & Burgeoning as the "gain more & faster" engine but it's also quite impressive with anything linked with Landfall. I coined the phrase that it's "the Prophet of Kruphix of landfall triggers" which, in retrospect, was a mistake because it gets broken up whenever opponents can manage it. It also makes players wary of putting a land into play because that generally means me drawing (I still run Horn of Greed), getting their creatures stolen, making a Beast or bigger plants etc..

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-06 12:27 am 

I'm running a "close enough" version of this from the cards I have and filling in the blanks as & where I can within the theory of the deck. LOTS of moving parts!

I lost a game because I returned a Ghost Town & Oboro rather than allowing an additional 2 draws off Damia. The idea was to Burdgeoning them into play for Baloth tokens (off Rampaging Baloth) but my opponents neglected to play lands and I got caught with them in hand (N00b mistake, I could have just waited on the Burdgeoning triggers). The additional draws would have been basic land & Prophet of Kruphix. The latter would have allowed me to play a defensive Avenger of Zendikar for enough to chump the Ghave player and not lose my entire board (which is what happened when Ghave attacked me) and I subsequently died to Omnath within the same turn cycle. From there, who knows how the game would have gone but at least I'd have been in it! :mrgreen:

BKM, you're talking about aggressively Entombing or Intuitioning but there's little that really requires so much mana once you are set up. The deck is heavy GU in any case, I'd rather have just a couple of Swamps most of the time.

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-16 3:46 am 
EDH Rules Committee

zimagic wrote:
How tight is his list and is he playing any lifegain?

Sorry it took a while to respond, since I didn't see him over the holidays. He was at EDH night yesterday, though, and I got to play a couple games.

Depending on what you mean by 'tight', the list is not tight at all, with lots of flex slots. The core themes could really be fleshed out in a lot of different directions. As for lifegain, he's got very little. I think the only cards are Courser of Kruphix, Bow of Nylea and Druidic Satchel.

I really like that Ghost Town/Oboro tech! The deck is really good at dumping land onto the table, which is great for ramp and getting burst of landfall value, but sometimes that Roil Elemental just sits there. Trade Routes turned out to be a lot better than I expected for that reason, too.

zimagic wrote:
BKM, you're talking about aggressively Entombing or Intuitioning but there's little that really requires so much mana once you are set up. The deck is heavy GU in any case, I'd rather have just a couple of Swamps most of the time.

Those cards aren't really for getting mana (though they can be used that way if you need to). They're actually the best mana sinks in the deck, as long as they can find a Life from the Loam or Worm Harvest for you. The LftL-cycling engine gives you everything you need all by itself, and Worm Harvest is the best win condition in his version (though I guess that's not saying much).

MVP of a couple games last night was Tempt With Discovery. People still haven't figured out how to say no...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Feb-04 12:49 am 

Ban Ki-moon wrote:
MVP of a couple games last night was Tempt With Discovery. People still haven't figured out how to say no...

I had actually omitted this until your post thinking, much like yourself, that people would say no and it would be an overly expensive one-shot ramp. I added it in not expecting it to do much.

This lunch I opened the game with Tempt and a couple of Forests, Cradle, Azusa & a couple of other cards thinking that I could draw into pretty much any land, play Azusa, turn on cradle & Tempt to get a 5th land and develop my board from there. I whiffed on lands for a few turns, getting Azusa out only turn 7-8 while the other 3 players chipped away at each other (Grond, Child of Alara & Ashling (Black)).

Despite no-one else being tight for mana, they all searched for a land off my Tempt while I got all my colours going. 4 land (incl. the Cradle) became 8. Seeing that, I decided to splurge my Regrowth on a second Tempt, leading with Urborg TOY after a normal land drop. Even though the Child player called me out on the lands I was going to get he still went and searched as did the other 2. So I'm suddenly up to 13 with Coffers/Urborg/Cradle all on board. Ashling Stripped Coffers but I got it back with an E-Wit and played Villainous Wealth on Ashling, getting enough spot removal to clear the board & tutors to ensure I could do what I wanted. I then play a tutored Genesis Wave and proceed to win off lots of creatures & Akroma's Memorial.

Afterwards they were all on about the 2 "Wave" spells, Coffers & my "top-decking" multiple tutors on the Villainous Wealth but them choosing to search with Tempt With Discoveryis what turned the game from me being a low-hanging fruit to being in the game on the first Tempt and in a position to win on the second. I declined to mention that to them in case they search the next time I provide temptation!!

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Feb-10 3:45 am 

BKM, is your friend playing Cloudstone Curio as a Landfall enabler?

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jun-16 11:22 pm 

Quick update on this. I'm now running Tasigur, the Golden Fang with this over Damia for both the casting cost & mana sink/recurring effect. He's quite the card.

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jun-22 6:13 am 

I did the same thing with mine.

Current decklist is here: http://deckbox.org/sets/667578

No real updates since changing to Tasigur shortly after FRF was released.

My notes:
- It feels really light on threats and I'm having problems closing out games right now, but I'm trying to avoid infinite loop wins
- I've been super disappointed with Roil Elemental
- I really love anything that looks vaguely like Mulch in the deck and I need to find room for anything that works like that
- The best thing to do so far has been load graveyard, cast Tasigur massively early, and start activating ASAP

Rafiq, Sharuum, Nekusar, Kresh, Mayael, Kaalia, Maelstrom Wanderer, Ghave, Ruhan, Mimeoplasm, Genju of the Realm, Phelddagrif, Derevi, Oloro, Jenara, Karrthus, Marath, Tariel, Riku, Karador, Numot, Damia, Sliver Overlord, Karn, Silver Golem

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jun-22 7:19 am 

Artos wrote:
I did the same thing with mine.

Current decklist is here: http://deckbox.org/sets/667578

No real updates since changing to Tasigur shortly after FRF was released.

My notes:
- It feels really light on threats and I'm having problems closing out games right now, but I'm trying to avoid infinite loop wins
- I've been super disappointed with Roil Elemental
- I really love anything that looks vaguely like Mulch in the deck and I need to find room for anything that works like that
- The best thing to do so far has been load graveyard, cast Tasigur massively early, and start activating ASAP

I presume you're running Sidisi too?

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jun-23 6:02 am 

I'm guessing you mean Sidisi, Brood Tyrant...I don't have her in there right now because I was putting her at the helm of my Zombie deck and because I don't really expect to be able to attack with her much at all here. Has she been good for you?

Rafiq, Sharuum, Nekusar, Kresh, Mayael, Kaalia, Maelstrom Wanderer, Ghave, Ruhan, Mimeoplasm, Genju of the Realm, Phelddagrif, Derevi, Oloro, Jenara, Karrthus, Marath, Tariel, Riku, Karador, Numot, Damia, Sliver Overlord, Karn, Silver Golem

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jun-23 6:19 pm 

Artos wrote:
I'm guessing you mean Sidisi, Brood Tyrant...I don't have her in there right now because I was putting her at the helm of my Zombie deck and because I don't really expect to be able to attack with her much at all here. Has she been good for you?

Once I started play the deck and realising the importance of churning lands through the graveyard for LftL & Crucible I added her in. Having a zombie is cute. Having a means to repeatedly add land cards to my graveyard is what makes the deck tick.

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jun-24 6:06 am 

Are you playing any dredge cards? I was seriously considering some but I don't really have a way to get them back out of my hand.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jun-24 7:05 am 

Artos wrote:
Are you playing any dredge cards? I was seriously considering some but I don't really have a way to get them back out of my hand.

Cast them? Zimagic already mentioned Life from the Loam, which seems like an obvious include.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile