Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-22 11:08 pm

Post subject: Most loved commanders
AgePosted: 2014-Sep-28 2:34 pm 

Ok, now that we know what commanders we hate, lets see what we love to play against. This is 2 part.

1) What are your top 5 favorite commanders to play?

2) What are your top 5 favorite commanders to play against?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Most loved commanders
AgePosted: 2014-Sep-28 2:35 pm 

I like to play:
Sigarda, Host of Herons- So many options to play with this card.
Ruhan of the Fomori- Great beatstick for my URW control deck.
Lazav, Dimir Mastermind- Deck filled with copy effects, more fun with new legend rules.
Karador, Ghost Chieftain- My competitive commander of choice.
Aurelia, the Warleader- I like to turn guys sideways.

I like to play against:
Zedruu the Greathearted- I know playing against this commander is going to be interactive and require me to think things out.
Scion of the Ur-Dragon- This guy is always doing interesting things. Just gotta make sure I disrupt him a little.
Nekusar, the Mindrazer- Always sure to speed things up.
Mayael the Anima- Almost guaranteed to be a creature beatdown plan.
Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund- Pretty open to deck building.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Sep-28 4:25 pm 

Both lists are in no particular order

1. Purphoros: I swear I am the only one who doesn't use him for token swarm. I run a more RDW-type build with lots of burn and a side theme of creatures like Archwing Dragon that have an emphasis on an ETB

2. Thada Adel: Easily one of the most fun and interactive ways to run mono blue. Steal stuff, hit with unblockable dudes, and run a sea monster theme for extra awesomeness points. Also, it is the only deck that can run 3+ Sol Rings, Tops, and Staffs of Nin :mrgreen:

3. Kaervek: He is the ultimate way to create pain without suffering, torture without the moaning, slowly toying with your opponents to their deaths without them saying "Really, you're running (insert "evil" archetype here)?" Props to Kemev for getting me hooked on this badass.

4. Ben-Ben, Akki Hermit: A defensively built mono red deck with a focus on ramp? This dude is really mean once Stuffy Doll gets online.

5. 8.5 Tails: Easily the most versatile general in his color. He can lead to so many different builds, all of which are both viable and interesting.

Top five favorite to play against.....

1. Riku: Usually piloted by someone who is trying to go competitive but has no idea what he's doing. It's one of the few "easy wins" that I never feel bad about.

2. New Niv-Mizzet: Pretty much any Izzet colored deck that isn't a combo deck could take this spot.

3. Ruhan: The slight randomness is always fun. My buddy has an altered version of him to look like Teddy Roosevelt, which makes any card better.

4. Jaya Ballard: It's good to know I don't have to deal with MUC decks if she's at the table.

5. Sheoldred: One of the best archenemy generals.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Sep-28 6:20 pm 

Fav to play:
Sygg, River Cutthroat: U/B that plays in a different way than most U/B I run across. Political ramifications, tons of odd things I can run for a benefit.
Ulasht, the Hate Seed: Five Alarm Fire in this deck takes MvP as Most Crazy Fun With A Jank Rare I have had in a single game.
Niv-Mizzet the Firemind (a burn deck, rather than the typical combowombo)
Tibor And Lumia: I helped a buddy put this together as a voltron deck, and it is so fun.
Xenagos, God Of Revels: That nostalgic joy you get when you lay a fatty and turn it sideways...

gonna think on who I like to see across from me the most

Sygg, River Cutthroat: Sneaky horrible backstabbing ninjas+rogues.
Sek'Kuar, deathkeeper: It's ALIVE! And so is that one! In fact, ALL the formerly dead stuff is alive!
Sydri, Galvanic Genius: Artifacts and artifacts and lifegain and artifacts.
In Progress:
Mogis, God of Slaughter: Mr. Massacre and his things that ping.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Sep-28 7:29 pm 

This is a everchanging list for me, so as of now:

1. Jaya Ballard
2. Skeleton Ship
3. Anything g/b (currently pharika)
4. Any other red commander (Godo is a little linear, but still fun, Akroma is awesome, especially with winding canyons)
5. Vela the nightclad 8(for NINJAS)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Sep-29 7:15 am 

Fun to run:

Nin, the Pain Artist - for a Goblin tribal, this deck is surprisingly versatile and adaptive. Bonus points for running Kiki without any combo. Also, Stuffy Doll.
Anax and Cymede - I really like going aggro lately. Non-equipment Boros is fresh and with some diplomatic skills, can even win multiplayer.
Rakdos, Lord of Riots - dirt-cheap fatties? Count me in :)
Kurkesh, Onakke Ancient - still haven't finished it in paper, but online it's so much fun.
Scion of the Ur-Dragon - because nothing says "Dodge this, Johnny!" like a lightning-fast infect kill. Used as a punisher for non-social players.

Fun to run into:

Horobi, Death's Wail - turns an ordinary game into a puzzle for everyone. Makes you think a few turns ahead.
Kami of the Crescent Moon - because I like me some cards.
Vorel of the Hull Clade - if it has no Magistrate's Scepter and Tangle Wire, that is.
Chromanticore - technically not legal, in reality awesome :)
Varolz, the Scar-Striped - because I like Death's Shadow and Phyrexian Dreadnought.

In my late teens I was a Spike.
In my 20's I was a Johnny.
Now, I just like to play.
'Active decks' list here.
Currently hiring servants for my palace, made from my own walls of text.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Sep-30 3:48 pm 

Fun to Run:
1. Basandra, Battle Seraph - What makes this deck so much fun is that it is built entirely from Conspiriacy cards and has a very multiplayer focus in the deck.
2. Derevi, Empyrial Tactician - A flicker deck and an impossible to kill off commander. Almost unchanged version of the Commander 2013 premade deck "Evasive Manoeuvres"
3. Zedruu the Greathearted - AKA Political Puppets in my play group. While I hate to play against this card as a commander, it is also a commander that is fun to play with because you never know what will happen.
4. Kokusho, the Evening Star - One of the newest commander decks in my playgroup, this particular one is the first in a series of commander decks that the group is currently building (five mono coloured Kamagawa Dragon Spirit Commander Decks. The first mono black deck in the play group and has already done some crazy things (casting a Phthisis targeting a 10/10 creature)
5. Marath, Will of the Wild - AKA "Big Fatties". This is the go to deck when thinking is not required. Besides, who doesn't like big creature decks

Fun to Play Against:
1. Anax and Cymnede - AKA "Bonnie & Clyde" in my play group. The deck has been built around heroic triggers and enablers and it takes some thought to determine what course of action is required to battle against this deck
2. Doran, the Siege Tower - AKA "Doran the Explorer". This toughness matters style of deck is fun to play with even if it is hard to remember to just look at toughness when attacking or blocking
3. Isamaru, Hound of Konda - Vanillia Commander. Deck plays to voltron up the commander and as opponents, it is common to see the commander be stolen to deal leathal damage to its owner.
4. Rakdos, Lord of Riots - AKA "Kill Everyone". This particular deck has a deal damage to all players theme to the deck so it is common to see this deck kill multiple players (including the deck's owner) at the same time.
5. The fifth spot is not an individual card but a more general type - I like to play against any strange commanders or decks that are not the typical decks. An example of this is that someone in my playgroup is talking about creating a delve/dredge deck using the Sultai Khan and utilising cards like Traumatise on themselves to stock their graveyard with lots of cards.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Dec-27 7:59 am 

I have a good number of Commander decks now, and the commanders I love playing are, from least favorite to most favorite:

5) Damia, Sage of Stone. Deck name - She'll make you rock hard (It's because she's a Gorgon, you see). Lots and lots and LOTS of mana ramping to get out Damia as early as possible with deathtouch and removal being the theme for the creatures. Very creature heavy with blue disruption. Not incredibly consistant, but SUPER fun to play.

4) Keranos, God of Storms. Deck name - He'll rock you, like a hurricane. Creature-heavy red/blue deck, the whole purpose is to get high devotion creatures out and start swinging with Keranos as soon as possible. The extra card-draw or burn every turn helps keep the board on my side.

3) Heartles Hidetsugu. Deck name - Disco Inferno. This deck always makes for quick games, win or lose. A straight burn deck, I get out Hidetsugu, burn down everyone's life total, then use a few burn spells to finish the game. In theory,anyway. I lose as much as I win with this deck, but he's just wacky fun.

2) Mirko Vosk, Mind Drinker. Deck name - Milltown. A milling commander deck. I've won with this deck precisely one time, and it was epic, but even when I lose, I consistently get my opponent down to about 10 to 20 cards. Not a winner deck, but super fun to play, and super wacky.

1) Sen Triplets. Deck name - Mine. Almost a mono-blue deck, it runs nearly every permanent steal card. Control Magic, Volitions Reins, Enslave, Corrupted Conscience (played that on Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre once, that was funny), and others, it's all about taking control of your stuff, with a few board wipes 'just in case'.

Of my friends, I will always love playing against these decks of theirs. This is in no particular order.

Kaalia of the Vast. I just never know what's gonna come up. I was hit with Kaalia and Master of Cruelties once, and I couldn't even be mad. It was just funny.

Experiment Kraj. The only time I've ever NOT wanted +1/+1 counters on my creatures.

Sedris, the Traitor King. This deck shows me that I need significantly more graveyard hosing cards.

Progenitus. This version of the deck is simply '5-color good stuff', but it has enough mana ramping to be able to consistently get Progenitus out pretty quickly. Super wacky, and fun to both play and play against. It's the deck that made me start constructing a Child of Alara deck (which isn't done yet).

Melek, Izzet Paragon. This deck is challenging to face. A blue/red spell-heavy deck, it's really good at burn and disruption until it builds up the steam to win. I used to hate the deck, but then the person who made it built a Teferi, Temporal Archmage deck (which is now my most HATED commander and is forcing me to build a Narset, Enlightened Master deck), and now I just like the challenge. Melek is the proving grounds I test all my decks against.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Dec-29 12:33 am 

Hmm... I'll bite. Although this list is very likely to change with time as I make newer decks.

1) Selvala, Explorer Returned - She's just felt right to play as my commander, I don't really know why. The deck I built for her was a dredge deck, intended to be my favourite deck type in my favourite colours. Selvala doesn't truly fit as the commander, but no Selesnya general does.

2) Melek, Izzet Paragon - How to convince opponents to allow you to do whatever you want. Step 1: deck of instants, sorceries and 10~ cards that let you love them. Step 2: Play the Pyxis of Pandemonium. Step 3: It'll be funny. A deck I threw together off of spare cards, that eventually grew into Miracle Melek, it's weird, it's not a great deck, but that makes it the underdog and everybody's rooting for it.

3) The Mimeoplasm - aka take a creature and add 13 to its power and toughness. The deck I built around it is all about making the most ridiculous creature possible out of the materials available. For science. No infect, no sacrificing it to kill people, no infinite combos unless my opponents have the pieces and if it wasn't for assault suit I wouldn't have haste either. Basically, like I said, making a ridiculous creature for science, not killing people out of nowhere.

4) Pharika, God of Affliction - First one on this list I posted a decklist on the forum for. Once again, a dredge encouraging commander, Pharika's deck is just plain weird (snakes, poison, medicine, deathtouch, regenerate...), but she's a commander that I love having. Her low cost, enchantmentness and indestructibility make her nigh impossible to get rid. While she threatens ambush vipers for attackers and jabbing with the grave hate scalpel for grave robbers.

5) Freyalise, Llanowar's Fury - Finally inspired me enough to build a monogreen deck that I didn't think would draw too much hate. She reminds me of Glissa Sunseeker "I hate artifacts but I love Liquimetal Coating", she's not got a lot you can do to build around her, but she's fun none the less.

As for the commanders I want to play against the most? Well... Uh...

1) Brimaz, King of Oreskos - You know someone loves white weenie and especially cat white weenie when they lead their deck with this kitten.

2) King Macar, the Gold-Cursed - I've never seen him lead monoblack goodstuff yet. A shining (very, very shining) beacon that there's a chance monoblack is actually playing a deck of cards and not a pile of hate.

3) Reaper King - The only format legal way to play a 4 colour deck that still uses its commander or scarecrow tribal, that practically undraftable tribe from Lorwyn/shadowmoor.

4) Sedris, the traitor king - Criminally underplayed graveyard shenanigans. Too many Grixis players are devoted to Nekusar these days and the rest are all about Markesa.

5) Tymaret, the Murder King - I have yet to see a Rakdos deck work properly with an effective commander, let alone this guy. Anyone playing him is clearly dedicated to trying to make it work... Or combo off.

Yasova Dragonclaw - Yasova Tinyclaw/Slightly-less-tinyclaw
Kruphix, God of Horizons - That Which Was Taken by Kruphix
Selvala, Explorer Returned - Blackless dredge
Freyalise, Llanowar's Fury - Monogreen Superfriends
Pharika, God of Affliction - Hemlock

Last edited by Ski Gloves on 2014-Dec-31 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Dec-29 5:13 am 

I enjoy playing:
- Oloro, because I'm a dirty control bastard.
- Lady Evangela, because I'm a dirty control bastard.
- Azusa, because I'm a dirty combo bastard.
- Chainer, because I'm a dirty control bastard.
- Xiahou Dun, because I'm a dirty combo bastard.

I hate playing against:
- Any deck that interacts with my stuff.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Dec-30 7:48 am 

I enjoy playing WITH:

Niv-Misset Brainiac: No combo, semi control
Merieke: Mostly ETB-Reanimator and theft
Bladewing: Dumb straightforward dragon beatdown with a few tricks
Jarad: Ramp, throwing big dudes, reanimate
Intet: Besides lands -95% creatures

Playing against:

Keranos: A chaos deck. Challenging as hell and equally fun
Marchesa: Difficult to handle when she gains momentum with all effects
Azami: The only deck I lost 99% of all games against. Hellafun!
Pheldagriff: Grouphug FTW!

Only four, but take it or leave it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Dec-30 3:28 pm 

Jelik wrote:
Ok, now that we know what commanders we hate, lets see what we love to play against. This is 2 part.

1) What are your top 5 favorite commanders to play?

2) What are your top 5 favorite commanders to play against?

I love playing (in no particular order):
Braids, Conjurer Adept
Borborygmos Enraged
Endrek Sahr
Rakdos the Defiler
Zur the Enchanter (Value Zur...no contamination, no necromancy, no empyrial armor, no vanishing)

I love playing against:
Cromat (5 colors, all gold)
Aurelia, the Warleader (legitimate aggro deck)
Radha
Ob Nixilis, the Fallen
Trostani, Selesnya's Voice

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-01 2:33 am 

Sure, I'll give it a go.

I enjoy playing:
Progenitus (nearly) Hydra Tribal / Proliferate
Gahiji Beast Tribal
Garza Zol Vampire Tribal
Edric Rogue Tribal / Prowl
Karona Share (takes some "all players" cards and make them hurt)

Playing Against:
This category is hard, since I rarely see the same opponent more that once.
Kazuul - Played an opponent running this guy. Some staples and good stuff, but mostly fun interactions like curses and the general to encourage attacks in other directions. Pyrohemia and some Pro-Red creatures to keep it up, for sweeping tokens and big beaters for the win.
Hazezon Tamar - I've played against a few decks with him at the helm that were interesting and each was so very different from the others.
Rasputin - Saw an interesting Proliferate big mana build (Pentad Prism and Iceberg both over 20 counters and Everflowing Chalice with 10+ counters at one point) with him. It had Control elements without being oppressive and it was an enjoyable game.
Lazav - Had a good game against a build that copied the good stuff and had some good beaters of its own. Seemed to focus on clone effects and using counterspells to get the creatures he wanted to copy with Lazav, rather than mill (though there was some mill in there) so it was a puzzle.
Lord of Tresserhorn voltron was a unique game with an abnormal General choice for a Voltron build. Scary when it got a big start, but it was interesting.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile