Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-06 7:42 pm

Post subject: Ob Nixilis, Unshackled -- 1v1
AgePosted: 2014-Aug-20 1:38 pm 

Hello all,

First time poster, long time lurker/player.

I would like to know opinions of this deck that I have build. It is a bit of a "legacy highlander" but there are not any intentional infinite combos, and it is designed to mostly play 1v1. I have been playing Magic for 17 years so I have a decent collection, plus I do have discretionary funds if you suggest something that isn't moxen (yes I know they are banned).

Commander

Ob Nixilis, Unshackled

Creatures

Erebos, God of the Dead
Rune-Scarred Demon
Shriekmaw
Ink-Eyes, Servant of Oni
Withered Wretch
Sepulchral Primordial
Gatekeeper of Malakir
Butcher of Malakir
Visara the Dreadful
Solemn Simulacrum
Nezumi Graverobber
Burnished Hart
Crypt Ghast

Artifacts

Executioner's Capsule
Mycosynth Wellspring
Caged Sun
Wanderer's Twig
Tormod's Crypt
Sol Ring
Traveler's Amulet
Gauntlet of Power
Relic of Progenitus
Darksteel Ingot
Journeyer's Kite
Pristine Talisman
Loxodon Warhammer
Dreamstone Hedron
Strata Scythe
Coldsteel Heart
Armillary Sphere
Scroll Rack

Planeswalkers

Sorin Markov
Liliana of the Dark Realms

Enchantments

Seal of Doom
Phyrexian Arena
Underworld Connections
Necropotence

Instant

Echoing Decay
Tragic Slip
Diabolic Edict
Vampiric Tutor
Nemesis Trap
Hero's Demise
Geth's Verdict

Sorcery

Diabolic Tutor
Appetite for Brains
Caress of Phyrexia
Worst Fears
Sign in Blood
Demonic Tutor
Increasing Ambition
Praetor's Grasp
Sever the Bloodline
Consume Spirit
Damnation
Chainer's Edict
Mutilate
Gild
Exsanguinate
Killing Wave
Decree of Pain
Corrupt
Black Sun's Zenith
Profane Command

Lands

Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
Shizo, Death's Storehouse
Barren Moor
Terramorphic Expanse
Leechridden Swamp
Evolving Wilds
Cabal Coffers
Bajuka Bog
28 Swamp

I plan on doing big mana and tutoring for the right answers while Ob Nixilis smashes face. Any opinions are very helpful as I only play paper Magic, and only a dozen times a year now.

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Ob Nixilis, Unshackled -- 1v1
AgePosted: 2014-Aug-20 10:51 pm 

Welcome! Glad to see you've moved from just lurking (although, to be honest, I did lurk for quite a long time before I really became very active).

There is a Decklist forum, which is probably where this should go. Hopefully it can get moved over there, and hopefully where more people will see it.

Wayfarer's Bauble would be a pretty stellar replacement for Wanderer's Twig. Expedition Map is also a better choice, considering you can use it to grab Cabal Coffers or Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth--whichever you haven't happened to draw yet.

Finding a Thespian's Stage and Vesuva for this deck would also be a good thing in order to further take advantage of Coffers/Urborg.

Say...we've come to the point where I have to ask more about your intentions for the deck. You say this is for 1v1, but do you mean 1v1 using the regular Commander rules/banlist, or using the 'French' Commander rules/banlist? Furthermore, how competitive of an environment are we talking about? Hyper competitive--meaning all in, fastest player to win is rewarded? Or casual--non-tournament, kitchen table type Magic? If you're going more for the hyper competitive, then there's loads to do with this deck; however, if it's more casual-drink-beers/wine-and-hang-out sort of Magic, then this list is probably pretty close to be fine with the exception of personal preferences and meta. I think your land count might be a little low at 36, but I'd have to see the deck in action before I made that call for certain.

I would be really tempted to play Maralen of the Mornsong in this deck though, as it allows opponents to search through their libraries for a card at the cost of 13 life and sacrificing a creature. I also noticed you don't have any graveyard recursion in your deck--any reason why?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-21 1:21 am 

Hello and thanks for the reply. I will see about moving it over as soon as I figure out how.

Maralen of the Mornsong might be a good option, but seems like always they will just pay the costs and kill her before I could use her.

I need to get another Thespian's stage and Vesuva.

As far as no graveyard recursion, I thought that the deck was pretty light on creatures, plus I have several EDH decks that are currently using the best stuff I have.

As far as intentions, it really is a mixed bag. I only get to play every 3-4 weeks and sometimes it is just myself and one other, sometimes it is 5 people sitting around my kitchen table. Everybody else in the group plays more than I do, but I have been playing the longest, plus I have the largest budget.

I am torn between regular and French, only one person in the play group really cares about ban lists etc. He has both French and the list here at MTGCommander and would like the rest of the group to play by them.

If I am playing 1v1 its against Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind combo or Nylea, God of the Hunt aggro more than anything. I think Ob Nixilis would do well against both of these, and against any random deck that they might concoct.

I need to add all the different decks in my sig I guess.

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-21 1:52 am 

I think one of the mods will have to move it. Also, the decks listed in my signature are totally out of date. :wink:

I only suggest Maralen, because it locks your opponent (or the first opponent after you in turn order) into taking 13 damage and sacrificing one of their creatures unless they have spot removal in hand. This would be devastating, even if they use Maralen's ability to find removal.

If you want the deck to be more competitive, then your best bet is to make room for ritual effects and more artifact ramp. The more consistently your can throw Ob Nixilis out before someone else is able to ramp their lands or search for lands to color fix, the more you'll be able to take over a game before it's even begun. If you want to remain somewhere in the middle, then all we can really do to help suggest cards or other possibilities is by trying to combat meta problems this deck has based on your input.

The original Commander/EDH rules, as they appear here, are meant for casual, multi-player environments--meaning 3 or more players against each other. The 'French' banlist and rules is an attempt to make competitive 1v1 games possible in a way people who play Commander/EDH will appreciate. This means they have increased their banlist by quite a bit in order to reduce degenerate turn 1 and 2 plays (which is achievable even with their banlist). While the original rules depend mostly on a group's adherence to a 'social contract,' the 'French' rules seek to explicitly regulate gameplay in a way similar to other formats such as Modern, Legacy, and Vintage. They still, in a way, follow a social contract, but only insofar as players of the other formats follow one.

I'm more a fan of the original rules and the social contract, but I also don't build decks specifically for 1v1 play. I have before, and I didn't quite enjoy it as much.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-21 2:15 pm 

I have some suggestion in here..

Try to put Vedalken Orrery and Winding Canyons for your Ob Nixilis > flash thing :) bam you take 10 damage

Also Necropotence and Sol Ring are banned on duel Commander

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-23 5:50 pm 

Got to play a game tonight. It was against 5 color slivers. I was stuck on 3 lands for a while. Finally had to preator's grasp to get 4th, I snagged his Mazes end, as it's a non creature way to win and I did not feel like losing to that card for the first time.

After that I played damnation and killing wave the next turn, making slivers have to topdeck.

It was a very close game that was a lot of fun.

As a side note my group has a very flexible view on ban lists, most players have been playing less than 3 years and they want to play with the cards they bought. If you own it you can play it. As my 2 land Belcher deck was stolen 10 years ago, which included my power 9, they are more than willing to let me play with any cards that I own.

Offline Profile