Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-13 7:43 am

Post subject: Looking for constructive feedback on Vorosh
AgePosted: 2007-Aug-28 12:19 am 

Vorosh, the Hunter:
This is the first deck i've made for EDH, and am working to throw together two more decks. One for a friend as well as my second. I feel really uncreative for choosing Vorosh, now that i've seen that so many people play it. I chose it on a whim, because I wanted to play UB control and figured green color fixing would be a must...though I think I did an okay job using green as more than a mana-crutch. Correct me if i'm wrong, though.

10 Creatures [Utility]
Magus of the Library
Man-O'-War
Solemn Simulacrum
Hypnotic Specter
Blizzard Specter
Mystic Snake
Shadowmage Infiltrator
Plaxmanta
Draining Whelk
Keening Banshee

16 Creatures [Beats]
(Vorosh, the Hunter)
Yavimaya Dryad
Dryad Sophisticate
Body Double
Simic Sky Swallower
Mindleech Mass
Serra Sphinx
Vulturous Zombie
Wild Mongrel
Keiga, the Tide Star
Psychatog
Dimir Cutpurse
Fungal Shambler
Living Hive
Assault Zeppelid
Spiritmonger

12 Sorceries
Beacon of Unrest
Chainer's Edict
Stir the Grave
Psychic Drain
Damnation
Farseek
Death Mutation
Creeping Mold
Harmonize
Sylvan Library
Pulse of the Dross
Lobotomy

15 Instants
Howl from Beyond
Recoil
Impulse
Capsize
Rewind
Last Word
Reins of Power
Putrefy
Counterspell
Grim Harvest
Clutch oh the Undercity
Fact or Fiction
Tainted Pact
Frantic Search
Evolution Charm

2 Enchantments
Treachery
Yavimaya's Embrace

6 Artifacts
Helm of Obedience
Sword of Light and Shadow
Loxodon Warhammer
Plague Boiler
Sol Ring
Darksteel Ingot

39 Lands

Simic Growth Chamber
Dimir Aqueduct
Golgari Rot Farm
Overgrown Tomb
Watery Grave
Breeding Pool
Lonely Sandbar
Barren Moor
Tranquil Thicket
Mirrodin's Core
Grand Coliseum
City of Brass
Gemstone Caverns
Rootwater Depths
Waterveil Cavern
Salt Marsh
Frost Marsh
Polluted Delta
Llanowar Wastes
Yavimaya Coast
Treetop Village
Minamo, School at Water's Edge
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
Temple of the False God
Dust Bowl
Dark Depths
Volrath's Stronghold
4 Islands
4 Forest
4 Swamp

Thanks for any feedback or suggestions!
- Charlie

[] = indicates being dismantled

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2007-Aug-28 2:56 am 

I was thinking that these were too weak

- Lobotomy
- Assault Zeppelid
- Psychic Drain (Though it does give random reanimation targets...)
- Pulse of the Dross (Technically fine for non-multiplayer, but still weaksauce, right?)

...And thinking these may work?

- Mindslaver (Too "maybe it'll work" ?)
- Concentrate//Foresee (extra card vs super dig and single U)
- Oblivion Stone
- Walk the Aeons/ Beacon of Tomorrows
- Phyrexian Arena
- Helldozer (Savage un-fun beating?)
- All sun's dawn + Gift's Ungiven?
- Golgari Grave-Troll (How many creatures is enough? 38?)

I would love to throw in maze of ith, but every copy I own is in something else that seems to really need it more - including my second EDH deck.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2007-Aug-28 2:38 pm 

Keiga but no Kokusho? I'm not too sure of Wild Mongrel, either. It's good, to be sure, but I don't know if it really fits in with the deck or the format. I think Filth might be a good addition, especially with your general, and if you're going with Damnation and Plague Boiler, you might as well get Pernicious Deed and/or Disk. If you're wanting to run counterspells, maybe run some of the bigger, more impact ones, like Desertion (there really isn't much better than having your opponent's general on your side), Spelljack, Overwhelming Intellect, or Time Stop. I dunno, maybe I just like blow-up-and-control-the-board decks.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2007-Aug-28 10:56 pm 

Fargo, thank you very much for your feedback, it was honestly really helpful.

[Concise, Simple part]
- Wild Mongrel
- Assault Zeppelid
- Psychic Drain
- Lobotomy (Kinda hate getting rid of this, but it's garbage...right?)
- Frantic Search

+ Eternal Witness
+ Brainspoil (Sick with Eternal Witness and Beacon of Unrest)
+ Bribery (Heh)
+ Desertion
+ Forsee/Phyrexian Arena (Only choice i'm unsure of)

[I'm dumb and talk too much part]

Those all seem pretty straight forward, since I don't usually have issues hard-casting fatties, I don't think the two discarder slots are all that valuable (I apparently thought they had been?)

I worry very much about trading cheap counterspells for ones that I know will easily earn more mileage (Undermine, Spelljack, Intellect) even though I know all too well the power of actually getting to use these spells from playing type 4. Of this category I think Time Stop is the only spell I really feel pressed to find space for, and am having issues finding a space for it...suggestions welcome and valued.

P Deedy kind of freaks me out with all this high CC stuff that i'm trying to steal on the cheap. [often times I drop Plague Boiler with nine mana sources - barely blowing it up the next upkeep] It seems like both a waste and a hassle to find twelve mana to blow up something like Blazing Archon while still losing lower CC Beacon'd goods. Both Boiler and Deed are incredibly political, each with their strength's and weaknesses. The strongest immediate results reset may be Oblivion Stone, like you said.

My second largest concern is lifegain, and although Kokusho is REALLY not my cup of, I feel safest when able to build up life (I swear i'm not a bad player). The two resources i'll have after the changes are Warhammer and Sword of Light and Shadow. Both are awesome when they slowly accumulate, but I feel nervous counting on that. Options i've thought may work out are Miren and Tower of Eons (piece of junk). Does anyone use subtle lifegain strategies like this?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2007-Aug-29 3:18 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

I'm personally a fan of limited life-gain in EDH. In such a political climate, I find that sitting on the cusp of death can happen frequently. Once you've been beaten down, proper maneuvering can keep you in that sort of situation indefinitely, deflecting any actions that will actually take you out of the game. Any other player will kill you if you make the slightest move to take control, though.
At fifteen to twenty life, there are a lot of options that would get you kicked off of the table, had you been at six or less. Therefore, a Loxodon Warhammer or a copy of Death Grasp or Drain Life can turn the tables quite suddenly, and bring you back into a lost game.

I don't think I'd ever play a card that does nothing but gain life, though. The best bets for Vorosh decks, I think, are Kokusho and Warhammer, which were each already mentioned. Miren is a decent card, as well. Other options might include Molder, Magus of the Mirror/Mirror Universe, or Corrupt (depending on your swamp count/presence of Urborg Tomb)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2007-Sep-02 4:10 pm 

Corrupt and Molder sound good, I was just helping my friend get started on building his Hazezon Tamar deck and put molder in immediately...wonder why I didn't do the same for myself! I've already been running Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth as a color fixer...so it makes sense to harness it for "x" spells. It's amazing how helpful it is to have other people looking over the list, thanks guys.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2007-Sep-18 7:56 am 

im planning on building a similar deck, but vorosh is allready taken in my local playgroup.si it looks like im going to be playing a ranndom 5 color general,(cromat anyone??) and splashing white for a couple goodies.

my build is going to include genisis, douplicant, miren, recurring nightmare, the blue tutor, versuvian shapeshifter, and the three on color(sortof) kami dragons.

are there any must includes?

Offline Profile