Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-17 11:05 am

Post subject: EDH Article on MTGSalvation...
AgePosted: 2007-Jun-22 10:07 am 

Not sure if this is the appropriate place for this or not, but I just had an article on some of the fundamentals and building a deck for EDH published at MTGSalvation. I'd like feedback, if possible.

Thanks!

http://mtgsalvation.com/636-edh-there-can-be-only-100.html

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2007-Jun-22 12:02 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

Good show for spreading the word, especially on a relatively high-traffic site like MTGS. It was a good article, too, showing a solid grasp on the fundamental aspects of EDH, and you conveyed them clearly.

If you want some constructive criticism, I thought that the section on individual card choices was far too prolix (it took up more than 2/3 of your article). It wasn't of particular use to anyone other than those who wanted to netdeck your Savra pile. I think it would have been better if you had just listed a group of similar cards and covered them all in more general terms.

The top third of the article was great, though, and the only other gripes I have is that you never mentioned this site, and your dismissal of the 21 General Damage rule. Nice article, good form, and the forum-goers of MTGS seem to agree with me!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2007-Jun-22 12:20 pm 

Yeah, the actual deck-building part of the article was a bit much. What I SHOULD have done was not list the build at the end and let the readers make their own decks from the card pool. An error in hindsight, but I thought that looking at the individual card choices was relevant enough to write about, especially for new players. Gaining an understanding of WHY you'd play X card in X deck seems somewhat silly, perhaps, or even too simplistic, but I like seeing that sort of thing as it helps newer players.

Like I mentioned in the Salvation forum, I simply forgot to list the link to this forum in the article. I apologize.

The 21 damage rule...gah, I cannot tell you how much I despise it, and it's because of 2 Generals: Akroma, Angel of Wrath and Dakkon Blackblade. We were actually considering simply banning them as Generals for a bit, but we decided to eliminate the rule instead. Dakkon is actually the worse of the two, since he can kill you in 2 swings (or even one, if it's very late). Just a little "house rule". Heh.

Thanks for the feedback, though.

EDIT: I was wondering what you (and others) thought of the section regarding the "5 ways to build an EDH deck". Are there other ways to view building a deck that aren't subsections to those I provided? I couldn't think of any others, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

EDIT REDUX: FYI, I wasn't hating on Pygmy Hippo (damn Dr. Tom!). My use of the term "suboptimal" is in quotes for a reason. Hell, I play Library of Lat-Nam in any blue-based deck I play in EDH, and God knows it's not a good card.

Offline Profile