Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-May-22 11:06 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 400 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: Forum Game: I Need A Hero!
AgePosted: 2019-May-07 2:10 am 

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
The rule for the next card: no group hug decks. Upwelling

I wouldn't call Selvala, Explorer Returned a group hug deck- but it is one of the better choices I could think of for Upwelling. I suppose it can also be pretty effective in Kamahl, Fist of Krosa to set up the general's bolt-on Overrun.

Next up, a new favorite pet card of mine- Spellbinder. Points if you can tap into a secret mode of the general with a few possible different imprints.

Defender
Wall of chat exceeds at using a lot of words to mischaracterize opposing view points.

Warp Riders (Ephara Solar Flare)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-08 6:40 am 

Mr Degradation wrote:
Next up, a new favorite pet card of mine- Spellbinder. Points if you can tap into a secret mode of the general with a few possible different imprints.

Barring the infinite shenanigans like Savage Beating or Nexus of Fate, I think maximizing the options suggests a planeswalker general...or two. I'm slotting this in Will Kenrith and Rowan Kenrith and trying to include two or three instants that synergies with each of their abilities. Some examples...Inside Out to play off Will's plus ability, or Cryptic Command to tap down things for Rowan's middle ability.

Season to taste.

How about a home for Dragon Appeasement (other than Prossh)?

Izoni, Thousand Eyed (Elf Tribal-ish)
Tiana, Ship's Caretaker (Auras for Days)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-08 6:53 am 

Jeyal wrote:
How about a home for Dragon Appeasement (other than Prossh)?

I think it would fit pretty well in a Shattergang Brothers deck. You get extra value out of sacrificing your creatures, and if you want to get your draw step back you can sacrifice the enchantment itself.

What would be a good deck for Vraska, Swarm's Eminence?

Riku: Pump Spells
Teneb: Life Manipulation
Kiki-Jiki: Big Red
Geth: Nim
Kodama of the North Tree: Hard Mode Voltron
Nin: Elementals
Sram: Jankstorm
Zur: Zombies
Rhys the Redeemed: Aura Voltron
Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh: Chandras
Ojutai, Soul of Winter: Tap Out Control
Alesha: Allies
Inalla: Treasures
Vial Smasher: Lava Axes
Atraxa: Counterless Keywords
Ludevic and Tymna: Curses

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-08 8:52 am 

Coco wrote:

Atraxa is probably the easiest answer here, but I'm gonna say Hapatra, Vizier of Poisons, since it lets you go aggro with your deathtouch snakes - your opponents can either get punched harder and harder, or block and lose dudes. Win/win.

Next case: Dreadhorde Arcanist

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-08 9:09 am 

Paraphrasing wrote:
Where to put Teferi's Protection

1 vote for Tolsimir, 1 vote for Zedruu. Thanks folks I'll think on it :) I think currently Tolsimir might get the nod.

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-08 9:49 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Coco wrote:

Atraxa is probably the easiest answer here, but I'm gonna say Hapatra, Vizier of Poisons, since it lets you go aggro with your deathtouch snakes - your opponents can either get punched harder and harder, or block and lose dudes. Win/win.

I'd also like to point out Hapatra will naturally want to run Proliferate (and especially Contagion Engine) which works pretty well with your snakes getting +1/+1 counters.

The next card is still:
Sid the Chicken wrote:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-09 3:31 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:

My first thought is something like Gahiji or Mannichi which can increase its power, giving access to more cards in your yard. The second thought was some deck that wants to cast a crapton of one mana cantrips, like Feather or Zada.

The logical overlap between those two sets of generals is Adeliz, the Cinder Wind.

How about a good home for Aerial Caravan?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-11 7:46 am 

Jeyal wrote:
How about a good home for Aerial Caravan?

There are some top-of-deck generals that wouldn't mind the redundancy/library manipulation, though I feel like this particular card is overcosted.

I think Rashmi, Eternities Crafter is the most likely choice. You already want to play this top-of-deck game, and G/U supports it best, between Mirri's Guile, Sylvan Library and others. In the same vein, you could play it in Intet, the Dreamer as high-mana alternative next to Intet (who is also needs a ton of mana to get rolling).

The other alternative is Aminatou, the Fateshifter, but I feel that one is a non-starter because you lose out on green's manipulation abilities, and don't exactly win with her +1.

Have we talked about Transmogrifying Wand yet?

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-11 9:55 am 

Sinis wrote:
Have we talked about Transmogrifying Wand yet?

Another one that screams Atraxa, because she can effectively sustain it indefinitely. Looking beyond that, Tawnos, can copy the ability, gaining you more value, and your typical U/R artifact deck will have the ability to re-set the wand with things like Goblin Welder or Master Transmuter. I'll say Tawnos, because I'm sick of Atraxa.

How about Dreadhorde Invasion?

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-13 1:04 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:

A friend of mine opened two of these in his box, and we were puzzling over it. It's like an awful Bitterblossom, unless it – and the token you make – survive unmolested for 6 (!!!) upkeeps. Even with Paradox Haze, that's three untaps.

Is there some Grixis Amass deck that could be viable in EDH? Probably not (though, I really want there to be). Most of the Amass cards appear to be limited-oriented, though there are some potentially spectacular ones, like Widespread Brutality.

I feel like best home for this card probably are the decks that want bitterblossom, and uses it as a functionally similar copy. Savra, Queen of the Golgari, etc.

But, as always, I want to go left-field with this one: Anafenza, the Foremost. I'll grant that none of the other mono-black Amass cards (except maybe Vizier of the Scorpion) will be playable in this deck. Dreadhorde Invasion curves nicely into Anafenza, and can be accelerated to life-linking status. The Army token can also benefit from the other Abzan cards that like +1/+1 counters; Hardened Scales, Tuskguard Captain or Abzan Falconer.

More or less, just having a dude that continually appears/grows and enjoys the Abzan mechanics would be a nice addition to that kind of deck.

Who likes Meandering Towershell? (bonus points for not-Doran, the Siege Tower)

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-13 7:27 am 

Sinis wrote:
Who likes Meandering Towershell? (bonus points for not-Doran, the Siege Tower)

The Durdle Turtle lives!

This guy feels a lot like he has Phasing- -he's only on the battlefield half of the time. Why not play around with that? Any general that likes to wrath often can have a 5/9 ready to come crashing into the newly cleared board (as an added bonus, you don't even have to pay 2 to punk the smug Propaganda player).

It also plays nicely with "Sneak Attack" effects, or Whip of Erebos-type effects, with the exiling from its own attack trigger overwriting the exile or sacrifice that typically come attached.

This makes me think Jund is the way to go- -maybe Ikra Shidiqi, to put that shiny 9-power-butt to use, and whichever red partner best fits the rest of the deck. Maybe Ludevic, Necro-Alchemist for the extra cards (and another butt)?

Next card: Hidden Stag

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-15 6:56 am 

Jeyal wrote:
Next card: Hidden Stag

I think the only place I might put this card is "Hidden" Tribal, you could run all the "Hidden" cards, all the "Opal" cards and then run cards like Ghostway to reset all of them and trigger constellation. Tuvasa the Sunlit is probably the right general for this.

Next card: Jaya, Venerated Firemage

Riku: Pump Spells
Teneb: Life Manipulation
Kiki-Jiki: Big Red
Geth: Nim
Kodama of the North Tree: Hard Mode Voltron
Nin: Elementals
Sram: Jankstorm
Zur: Zombies
Rhys the Redeemed: Aura Voltron
Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh: Chandras
Ojutai, Soul of Winter: Tap Out Control
Alesha: Allies
Inalla: Treasures
Vial Smasher: Lava Axes
Atraxa: Counterless Keywords
Ludevic and Tymna: Curses

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-17 2:21 pm 

Coco wrote:
Next card: Jaya, Venerated Firemage

I can see basically any R/X general that deals damage in small dollups wanting this - any version of Niv-Mizzet, for example (well, except the new one). I'll say Kumano, because he has less other synergies than things like Niv.

Let's talk Vivien's Grizzly.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-18 7:29 pm 

Viven's Grizzly is a budget version of any number of other cards with the "planeswalker" word bolted on; at 4 mana per activation you really don't want to whiff with it. The fact that it only put the card into your hand, and only puts the card on the bottom of your library if you whiff (instead of somewhere useful like the graveyard) makes this pretty bad, really.

I'd maybe consider running this in any deck which also runs things like Cream of the Crop or something else that manipulates the top of your library in green (maybe Sylvan Library if you'd rather pay 4 mana than 4 life for another card). Maybe it goes in some big mana G/x deck, but if you're doing that you may as well just use Thrasios, because that way you pay 4 and always get the card. I really can't think of a decent home for this where Thrasios doesn't just outclass it in every way :(

On that rather sad note, how about the worst dragon Command? What is Dromoka's Command good for?

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-18 11:36 pm 

Viperion wrote:
On that rather sad note, how about the worst dragon Command? What is Dromoka's Command good for?

Any W/G/X deck that wants a fight spell that can occasionally do other stuff. Let's say Tolsimir, Friend to Wolves, since that's probably on-theme.

Continuing our little "worst of" discussion, who would want the worst vehicle in WotS: Silent Submersible? (Why the HELL does this thing have no evasion whatsoever?)

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 400 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next