Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-10 1:43 pm

Post subject: Staff of Domination
AgePosted: 2008-Sep-13 8:52 pm 

I've never seen any discussion of it here, but I consider it just-barely-not-quite-bannable. I'm curious what the EDH community thinks, and especially anxious to hear what the Rules Committee has to say about it. Has there been any discussion of this card in your recent meetings at The Hall of Doom?

Here's a list of every creature I could think of which combos with it:

Magus of the Candelabra
Metalworker
Priest of Titania
Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary
Krosan Restorer
Viridian Joiner
Argothian Elder
Wirewood Channeler
Magus of the Coffers
Elvish Aberration + Mana Reflection

As you can see, all of them require additional cards to work, although in the case of Rofellos and Magus of the Coffers those "additional cards" are just basic land. No single-card combos is a good sign that it's safe for EDH.

Furthermore, several of those creatures would have a hard time fitting into the same deck. Little chance of redundancy = greater vulnerability to Jester's Cap, so that's another good sign.

On the other hand, the combos don't just generate infinite mana, they generate infinite mana and infinite life and you can draw any number of cards. If you get the combo, you REALLY should just win. That's kind of dull and unfun after the first time. So I see some potential for banning.

What do y'all think?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Sep-13 9:29 pm 

narrow...

really, I have yet to see anyone try this on me. anyone who uses Staff of Domination can just as easily just go Mana Severance-Belcher you.

My Intet, the Dreamer Decklist

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Sep-14 12:01 am 

dont ban it, its strong sure but as cmb_master said i have yet to see someone go silly with it, it would only need to be banned if everyone was doing it because then it would get boring and lame.

i use my staff in my merieke deck to wipe boards late game but i find that takes turns of work without disruption so therefore i dont think its that uber powerfull

Zur the Enchanter
Momir Vig, Simic Visionary

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Sep-14 8:29 am 

I used to use it and Metalworker in my Jhoira deck to draw every card and go infi-mana. Once I had 1000 year elixir in play, I could use Goblin Welder untaps to flip Triskelion in and out of play and ping the table to death, or recur Memory Jar over and over (Reito Lantern for me), decking everyone if someone had ivory Mask for the trike win.

But yeah, you pull it off once and it gets boring, and it was very easy to disrupt - often times staff or welder would get 187'd t instant speed. So I took Staff out because on its own it is terribly inefficient at any of its modes. I don't think it is bannable.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Sep-14 9:26 am 

the combo's slow.

Offline Profile