Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-22 11:07 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Phyrexia's Impact on Infect as a Strategy (Spoilers)
AgePosted: 2011-Apr-23 11:24 am 

Zebu wrote:
Have fun playing your infect decks, guys.

Okay! I intend to do just that. By the way, you up for a game? :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-23 9:56 pm 

I played against a guy last night (username shunted) who debated poison IN GAME. It was very inappropriate. I hope you guys are leaving all opinions on poison out of a game!

Saying that, his arguments were the witty "Sheldon is dumb" and "why do you think standard doesn't have 5 poison?".

It gets better...he was the one with the blightsteel colossus on the battlefield!

After about 10 turns (colossus came down turn 7 I think), I had 9 poison counters, being attacked by the colossus 3 times before finally drawing fierce empath into duplicant. No one else had any poison counters. Fast forward to the finish line and I won that game.

DCI Level 1 Judge.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-23 10:58 pm 

This is a format where every player starts with 40 life instead of 20, and there are multiple players to kill instead of just one. Before the game even begins, aggro decks are at a severe disadvantage. Aggro has a hard time trying to deal 120-160 points of damage when it's getting gibbed by board sweepers and other control and combo cards left and right.

Infect gives aggro a shot at taking out someone without having to go all-in on one person and then be totally gassed after its resources are spent. Why can't aggro decks have a chance in this format?

CommanderCast: Community, Strategy, and Technology: http://www.commandercast.com/

Occupy Kokusho

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-24 4:38 am 

Strongly disagree with this notion that aggro decks aren't viable in EDH, btw.

DCI Level 1 Judge.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-25 9:07 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

onlainari wrote:

I would agree with you, but from what I understand, I'm dumb.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-25 9:39 pm 

The only time I've ever seen infect completely dominate a game is in 1v1 where an aggressive deck can easily power through one player if they are not prepared for it. In multiplayer the only cards I've ever seen impact a game so far have been Skittles and grafted exo-skeleton. Skittles is arguably worse than most voltron generals since her damage does not stack with regular damage to help cut some one down from 40 to 30. Exo-skeleton, and Fallen Ferromancer to a lesser extent, are good because they allow you to bypass infects biggest weakness. The entire reason that the archetype hasn't been dominating standard is because every deck either has a ton of spot removal (which I'm aware isn't that common in EDH), or they simply block the weak little infector (which is very likely to happen in EDH).
Surging Chaos wrote:
This is a format where every player starts with 40 life instead of 20, and there are multiple players to kill instead of just one. Before the game even begins, aggro decks are at a severe disadvantage. Aggro has a hard time trying to deal 120-160 points of damage when it's getting gibbed by board sweepers and other control and combo cards left and right.

Infect gives aggro a shot at taking out someone without having to go all-in on one person and then be totally gassed after its resources are spent. Why can't aggro decks have a chance in this format?

Pretty much the reason that by the time I reached elf tribal I went for combo. After doing Mayael, Scion, and Wort(R/B) I was kind of tired of losing games becomes I had no resources left to take down the last one or two players with combat damage. There are only so many ways to keeping bringing your creatures back to kick teeth in. Even if I do win by combat I probably generated enough mana to make every elf a +30/+30 trampler with Ezuri.

Retired decks:
Scion, of the Ur-Dragon-Dragons, Dragons everywhere
Wort, Boggart Auntie-Goblin Shenanigans
Jor Kadeen, the Prevailer-I will Prevail

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-26 1:26 pm 

I've seen Godo +Grafted Exoskeleton kill plenty of people in a friends Sedris deck (unearthed and not unearthed with haste).

I turned Sherei deck into a poison deck that can win with out poison. Honostly I think for her ability, infect is a strongest strategy aside from Stax/everyone sacs a bunch of of stuff all the time. When the little guys can't get in you use Thornbite Staff, Mortarpod, and proliferate. Dross Scorpion and Throne of Geth is sick. I was hopeing for more infect guys in the new set but only got the Whispering Specter.
( Poison Shirei http://mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6484)

I think Viral Drake has the potential to be a really crazy card. Not sure how I feel about it. Makes poisoning people a little easier when you can infi proliferate.

Viral Drake 3U
Creature - Drake
Flying
Infect
3U: Proliferate.
1/4

Current Generals:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-26 2:01 pm 

How about we play a few games with New Phyrexia cards BEFORE we panic, K? :roll:

Alesha, She who Smiles at Death.....Atraxa, Praetors' Voice.....Eight-and-a-Half-Tails.....Gonti, Lord of Luxury.....Karametra, God of Harvests.....Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker.....Kozilek, the Great Distortion.....Prime Speaker Zegana.....Rubinia Soulsinger.....Thrasios, Triton Hero + Vial Smasher the Fierce

My general commander philosophy: Using your opponent's degenerate cards against them is far more satisfying than playing degenerate cards yourself.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-26 2:03 pm 

I really don't think they printed anything that bad as far as infect goes to warrant a change.

Current Generals:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-27 5:53 pm 

kaldare wrote:
In general, changing the rules of the game is a bad idea.
However, I'm not sure that it applies here, seeing as wizards already set the precedent by the 2HG poison count to 15. After that, it almost seems more strange to NOT change it then to change it.

I concur as hard as I can.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-28 11:55 am 

Sheldon wrote:
onlainari wrote:

I would agree with you, but from what I understand, I'm dumb.

Well, being so dumb prevents you from realizing that you're not. Duh.

That's not ban-worthy, that's the spirit of EDH. Three-card combo involving the combat phase? Awesome.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-30 8:07 am 

I would very much like the idea of poison counters to increase in commander formats. But that's not going to happen I think. And i think 15 is a good number. I think with the New Phrexia it is not just about the infect creatures that are good. There are also cards that proliferate. I think proliferate is the main engine for infect. All u need is just 1 poison to start rolling.

But then again I'm contradicting myself. I do like proliferate cards as they are also engines for the planeswalker. And I simply love them.

My frens infect edh deck can deal just About 3-4 counters in one attack or just some other tricks with proliferate. 4-5 in a single turn so it takes about 3 turns to finish me off v

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-30 8:47 am 

thaumaturge wrote:
24x30cl wrote:
Poisanguinate XBB
Sorcery
All opponents get X poison counters. You lose poison counters equal to the number given this way.

I didn't write this!

herodotusjr wrote:
Poisanguinate XBB
Sorcery
All opponents get X poison counters. You lose poison counters equal to the number given this way.

onlainari wrote:
"why do you think standard doesn't have 5 poison?"

I hope you countered that argument with something just as silly like "why do you think EDH doesn't use 120 card libraries"

GU Doug wrote:
I think Viral Drake has the potential to be a really crazy card. Not sure how I feel about it. Makes poisoning people a little easier when you can infi proliferate.

Viral Drake 3U
Creature - Drake
Flying
Infect
3U: Proliferate.
1/4

Infinitie proliferate with infinite (blue) mana. If all your opponents have one poison counter and you have the drake lying in game AND you have infinite mana, you deserve to win.

With less than infinite mana: think about all the nasty things someone can do with 27UUUUUUUUU. If this really is the worst thing you can think of, chances are that you my friend suck at this game really really hard.

kaldare wrote:
How about we play a few games with New Phyrexia cards BEFORE we panic, K? :roll:

What a moronic idea. We need to make our decisions based on emotions, not in-game experiences!

I really can't stand rational people.

Teneb, the Harvester
Heartless Hidetsugu
Ob Nixilis, the Fallen
Reaper King
Ruhan of the Fomori
Hanna, Ship's Navigator
Ol
oro, Ageless Ascetic
Roon of the Hidden Realm
Nekusar, the Mindrazer

Sapling of Colfenor
Wrexial, the Risen Deep
Niv-Mizzet the Firemind
Ghost Council of Orzhova
Scion of the Ur-Dragon
Momir Vig, Simic Visionary

Child of Alara
Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund
Rith, the Awakener
Brion Stoutarm
Experiment Kraj
Razia, Boros Archangel
Grand Arbiter Augustin IV
Wort, Bogart Auntie
Kaalia of the Vast
Tariel, Reckoner of Souls

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-30 7:44 pm 

I would think Any infinite combos really spoil the game be it commander or other formats.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-30 9:56 pm 

24x30cl wrote:
thaumaturge wrote:
I didn't write this!

Says here that you did...
24x30cl wrote:
onlainari wrote:
"why do you think standard doesn't have 5 poison?"

I hope you countered that argument with something just as silly like "why do you think EDH doesn't use 120 card libraries"

My argument at the time was that he shouldn't whinge about it while playing a game, so I didn't respond to this.

DCI Level 1 Judge.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next