Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-07 11:12 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Argument for Painter's Servant.
AgePosted: 2011-Jan-14 11:49 am 

Quote:
a recommended banned list is maintained to help guide players towards a good social experience. House rules or "fair play" exceptions are always encouraged if they result in more fun for the local community.

People visit the page with the ban list, but never seem to notice this^ sentence.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jan-15 2:34 am 

Dan.f wrote:
Quote:
a recommended banned list is maintained to help guide players towards a good social experience. House rules or "fair play" exceptions are always encouraged if they result in more fun for the local community.

People visit the page with the ban list, but never seem to notice this^ sentence.

It's far worse than that. I've printed off a screenshot and shown people that sentence and they refuse to acknowledge its existence. That is, they trust the rules committee says that, but still think we should follow the banlist exactly as written without discussion.

DCI Level 1 Judge.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jan-15 9:27 pm 

Yeah, makes sense. People would rather just be told what to do, rather than have to think it out for themselves.

Humans are goddamned, lazy sheep.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jan-15 10:02 pm 

Dan.f wrote:
Yeah, makes sense. People would rather just be told what to do, rather than have to think it out for themselves.

Humans are goddamned, lazy sheep.

Yeah, just like people are goddamned, lazy sheep because they don't want to play Archenemy Planechase 3HG Emperor Vanguard EDH Unhinged Team Draft every time we have six players. They all want to do a normal FFA. Nobody ever thinks outside the box. Sheep I tell you, sheep.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jan-15 10:09 pm 

Baaaaa!

That's not ban-worthy, that's the spirit of EDH. Three-card combo involving the combat phase? Awesome.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jan-17 1:11 am 

Its quite difficult to ignore the banlist, so that sentence is pretty much meaningless in the real world. Even if you ignore all tournaments and side events when building your deck, you might still want to play other people in the community. And when you say EDH/Commander youre entailing the rules (including the banlist posted here). Your opponent most likely built thier deck around these rules and bannings as well and may or may not be prepared to change thier deck as you, putting them at an unfair disadvantage. You can ask for house rules or modifications, but then youre changing your deck around for each person you play, an enormous hassle, and you also have to own the cards to play both ways, without a guarantee of being able to play the banned ones. If youre in a structured playgroup that meets regularly and has consistent members, then house rules become more viable, but they also seem to be a great way to cause arguments and disagreement. And the argument goes in reverse: If a card is unfun, too expensive, whatever but not degenerate/broken then house rules can get rid of cards the group thinks detracts from thier desired playstyle, rather than defining a format around things as subjective as fun or cost, which vary from person to person

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jan-17 6:06 am 

Painter's servant deserves its place on the banlist.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jan-17 6:48 am 

Bksuperdl wrote:
Its quite difficult to ignore the banlist, so that sentence is pretty much meaningless in the real world. Even if you ignore all tournaments and side events when building your deck, you might still want to play other people in the community. And when you say EDH/Commander youre entailing the rules (including the banlist posted here). Your opponent most likely built thier deck around these rules and bannings as well and may or may not be prepared to change thier deck as you, putting them at an unfair disadvantage. You can ask for house rules or modifications, but then youre changing your deck around for each person you play, an enormous hassle, and you also have to own the cards to play both ways, without a guarantee of being able to play the banned ones. If youre in a structured playgroup that meets regularly and has consistent members, then house rules become more viable, but they also seem to be a great way to cause arguments and disagreement.

This.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jan-17 8:40 pm 

@sid the chicken, please clarify that as I really dont understand what that has to do with my post, which you quoted.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jan-17 8:42 pm 

Bksuperdl wrote:
@sid the chicken, please clarify that as I really dont understand what that has to do with my post, which you quoted.

:facepalm:
I'm starting to wonder if you or Joz were the bigger troll

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jan-17 10:24 pm 

Troll is one of those internet terms I dont really grasp the meaning of, first of all, but I do understand that it has a negative connotation, so I find you describing me as one based on my posts in this thread to be both confusing and insulting. I know I have very unpopular opinions about the banlist and the format, but still. Second of all, my post was relevant because somebody brought up that noone paid any attention to the fact that the banlist was optional, which I was trying to point out as pure theory and not something practically applicable in the real world. Then Sid the Chicken responded with a quote that was irrelevant and I don't fully understand. Is it really trollish to ask him to clarify in that circumstance

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jan-17 10:25 pm 

He was simply stating that he agreed with your point.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jan-17 10:33 pm 

Iron wrote:
He was simply stating that he agreed with your point.

You mean sid or Daf or are you being sarcastic? If youre not being sarcastic, what sids purpose in quoting me and then saying all the other players killed him and if daf, then how is accusing someone of trollling a statement of affirmation? :? :shock:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jan-18 12:50 am 

I'd rather see Grindstone banned before Painter's Servant. Does anyone really play Iona anyways? Seems really bad without Servant. Might as well ban her too. Unlike Iona, Painter's Servant has many more synergies with other cards. Yea more cards would be added to the list but no one plays them so who cares.

Banned List:

- Painter's Servant

+ Iona
+ Grindstone

Sid is saying he just agrees with what you posted. Basically he is too lazy to restate the same crap over again so he just gives you credit saying "this" is what I want to say. Personally I don't blame him because after the bazillion of posts he makes a day, I would get tired of typing too.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jan-18 1:15 am 

Bksuperdl wrote:
You mean sid or Daf or are you being sarcastic? If youre not being sarcastic, what sids purpose in quoting me and then saying all the other players killed him and if daf, then how is accusing someone of trollling a statement of affirmation? :? :shock:
This.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next