+ Myojinn of Nights Reach
+ Iona, Shield of Emeria
+ Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
+ Shahrazad
- Tolarian Academy
- Panoptic Mirror
- Staff of Domination
- Metalworker

I think there's a few more +'s but can't think of them atm. Our group is defined by large mana, few win cons, and heavy disruption.

DCI Level 1 Judge.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: List your local bannings
AgePosted: 2010-Jun-21 2:19 am 

Utah group:
+All mass land control (destruction, theft, etc.)
+Mindslaver
+Erayo as a general
+...some others, it's been awhile

Michigan group:
+Obliterate
+Decree of Annihilation
-Panoptic Mirror

and discourages having more than one or two mass land control in general.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jun-21 2:22 am 

We (unfortunately) stick to the "official" banned list, suplemented with the following:

Apocalypse
Armageddon
Boom/Bust
Catastrophe
Death Cloud
Decree of Annihilation
Desolation Angel (this saddens me because I have a very nice foil copy of it, but the two games I played it she just ruined the game)
Devastation
Epicenter
Global Ruin
Impending Disaster
Jokulhaups
Mana Vortex
Myojin of Infinite Rage
Obliterate
Ravages of War
Razia's Purification
Tectonic Break
Worldpurge

So basically all Mass LD, also cards like Boil, Flashfires, etc.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jun-21 8:01 am 

My group largely sticks to the official list, with some exceptions based on the personalities of the players involved. For example, my group has previously allowed me a Protean Hulk exemption because I think the worst thing I've ever gotten with it is Arcanis the Omnipotent. Compare to the local Intet player:
Intet: "You let B play with Protean Hulk! What the hell?"
Everyone Else: "B doesn't play Flash Hulk combo in EDH and win on turn 4 7 games out of 10."
Intet: "Oh right... that."

I can definitely see the case for banning mass LD. Seriously, how is that fun? "Oh look, suspended Emrakul gets there a turn after suspended Obliterate goes off. Again." I run Decree of Annihilation in Uril but I almost never cycle it-- it's there to be my "If I don't start the game over RIGHT NOW, I am going to lose" trump. (Same thing with Worldpurge in GAAIV.) I did cycle it once with a fully voltron'ed up Uril and I actually felt dirty. "Hey, UNCOUNTERABLE mass LD! That's super-cool."

Death Cloud, on the other hand, is a fantastic card and much less ban-worthy IMO because you are at least in theory making progress towards actually winning the game. You also don't HAVE to blow up the world with it-- DC for 3 can be just as backbreaking if your opponents have been relying on one or two big dudes to win. Plus, "Nice hand you had there, guy."

Sedris, the Traitor King: BRAAAAAINS (Zombie Tribal)
Zedruu, Group Pickpocket (Pillowfort Test of Endurance deck. You heard right)
Ghave, Guru of Dumb (Token Control)

gaijinguy wrote:
As for blue- being boring/infuriating by crushing everyone else's fun until it assembles a cheeseball combo is pretty much what it DOES.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jun-21 8:30 am 

I really want to play Death Cloud, but my playgroup is pretty black and white. They don't know what exceptions are, therefore they stick to the banned list even though I disagree with Tolarian Academy for example. And they ban all LD where Death Cloud is obviously an awesome card to play.

This saddens me sometimes :(

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jun-21 8:41 am 

So who doesn't ban LD?

We follow the ban list, with exceptions for playing card that are on the list on a card for card basis. I don't see the point in adding more cards that aren't broken just because it isn't "fun" (actually I do see the point, just disagree with what is and isn't fun).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jun-21 8:50 am 
EDH Rules Committee

We don't ban it, but there are significant incentives to not play it: in the League, it will get you penalties in points, and casually, it will get you ostracized.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jun-21 9:04 am 

in general we don't play mass LD, also most folks have cut emrakul

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jun-21 9:06 am 

We use the normal ban list.

Our group doesn't ban mass LD either. As long as a person who drops an Obliterate/Decree is able to win the game quickly (should everyone else be paralyzed) due to an advantageous board position, then it's not too much of a problem.

Now if you hardcast a Decree for the sole intention of resetting the board (i.e., you're not even losing), that's just being obnoxious.

Though I have a pretty big feeling that one of the reasons red is considered such a sucky color in EDH is because of all the shit it gets from its mass LD spells. :)

CommanderCast: Community, Strategy, and Technology: http://www.commandercast.com/

Occupy Kokusho

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jun-21 10:11 am 
EDH Rules Committee

Surging Chaos wrote:
We use the normal ban list.

Our group doesn't ban mass LD either. As long as a person who drops an Obliterate/Decree is able to win the game quickly (should everyone else be paralyzed) due to an advantageous board position, then it's not too much of a problem.

Now if you hardcast a Decree for the sole intention of resetting the board (i.e., you're not even losing), that's just being obnoxious.

Though I have a pretty big feeling that one of the reasons red is considered such a sucky color in EDH is because of all the shit it gets from its mass LD spells. :)

This ^ 4.

I'm amused by the number of groups that ban mass land D, then complain about blue control/combo decks being overpowered. Protip: Bigblue's Achilles heel is its need for big mana.

Used correctly, mass land-D is a game saver. Used incorrectly, it's boring just like lots of other strategies. Banned entirely, it takes away one of red's only good weapons.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jun-21 11:57 am 

Our local rules are the same as the banned list plus all other alt. win cards.

Also the shop I play at uses this a mull rules.

1 free
1 free if you have 1 no or all land
mull normal (as in normal paris) after that.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jun-21 12:51 pm 

Our group has yet to institute any local bannings. We play by the official banned list and generally control any undesirables by refusing to play with them or stomping them for having certain strategies. There's been a little talk of local banning Emrakul, but I don't think it will go anywhere.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jun-21 1:08 pm 

My group sticks to the standard list. About the only thing that was considered for a group ban was Eye of the Storm since I kinda got tired of every spell taking 5 minutes to resolve as they choose what to cast and then we determine how that interacts with every other trigger in play.

Retired decks:
Scion, of the Ur-Dragon-Dragons, Dragons everywhere
Wort, Boggart Auntie-Goblin Shenanigans
Jor Kadeen, the Prevailer-I will Prevail

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jun-21 2:07 pm 

Genomancer wrote:
I'm amused by the number of groups that ban mass land D, then complain about blue control/combo decks being overpowered. Protip: Bigblue's Achilles heel is its need for big mana.

You clearly play a very different meta than I atleast do. Mass LD here means the blue combo'r wins unless you follow that LD up very quickly. Nobody can cast their answers afterwords for the combo and they tend to almost always hold cards waiting for some dork to try to drop LD. Or they are the ones playing the mass land removal anyways (sunder).
The only real except I have seen to that has been when blasting away my Azami. ...but my azami deck is wizard aggro with combo and control backup.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jun-21 3:13 pm 

Before the last changes we:
-Banned Sharahazad just because
-Banned Staff (ban the enabler not the enabled)
-Banned Palinchron (nobody EVER did anything with it but go infinite. This was actually proposed by the Monoblue player)
-Unbanned Metalworker (see Staff)
-Unbanned Gifts Ungiven (seriously why is this banned but not Intuition ?)
Allowed Thelon of Havenwood et al

Current Vaevictus Asmadi graveyard shenannigans, Godo equipment, Azusa stompy.
Retired Rith, Sygg, Kraj, Sasaya, Uril, Sekkuar, Kresh, Kaervek, Lin-Sivvi, Ob Nixilis, Chisei, Sisay, Teeg, Kiki-Jiki, Karn, Selenia, Gwendlyn di Corci, Daakon Blackblade, Nath, Tibor and Lumia

Offline Profile