Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jul-20 6:41 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Tolarian or Library agreement
AgePosted: 2010-Jul-06 6:08 am 

You cannot ban Tolarian Academy and not give the community back Library of Alexandria. That's bullshit. L2B.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Tolarian or Library agreement
AgePosted: 2010-Jul-06 6:42 am 

?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jul-06 6:56 am 

Because clearly the power level of one is directly related to the power level of the other?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jul-06 9:56 am 

It was an agreement guys. You just weren't there.

warble I'm disappointed with you dealing with this in public, the conventional method would have been fine.

DCI Level 1 Judge.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jul-06 10:55 am 

onlainari wrote:
... the conventional method would have been fine.

I can only assume you mean voluntary seclusion and then self flagellating until bloody.

That's not ban-worthy, that's the spirit of EDH. Three-card combo involving the combat phase? Awesome.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jul-06 11:34 am 

Nirvana wrote:
Because clearly the power level of one is directly related to the power level of the other?

Yes, in an environment broken by Tolarian Academy, Library of Alexandria cannot be broken by definition. It's just the way it works. You just removed tolarian academy because it was too fast, now you're keeping the justification that the slowest land that never produced colored mana should be banned because why? It's too terrible? The format is nonsense if you keep Tolarian Banned and don't address Library of Alexandria clearly being NOT BROKEN AT ALL. EDH is clearly a niche format with nonsense bans with this banlist. Not even pretending to be nonsense, it just IS nonsense with this banlist.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jul-06 12:10 pm 

warble wrote:
Yes, in an environment broken by Tolarian Academy, Library of Alexandria cannot be broken by definition. It's just the way it works.

Ah, so it was restricted in 1994 because Tolarian Academy wasn't around?
Then unrestricted from classic in 1998? That makes a lot of sense now.

It wasn't even significant to the game as a major draw piece to the winning Worlds '94 deck. The deck's one Draw 7 to reset the hand back to 7 cards was clearly the mistake there.

Yeah, I totally see where you are coming from. I mean, this isn't vintage and the inclusion of a $132 card with heavy vintage background surely won't make people uneasy with the format. It is definitely something to get really angry over, as well.

Being a bit more serious, I would hope to see quite a bit of testing before such a decision is made.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jul-06 12:32 pm 

I've been casually advocating the unban of Library, but this thread is nonsense.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jul-06 12:43 pm 

warble wrote:
Yes, in an environment broken by Tolarian Academy, Library of Alexandria cannot be broken by definition. It's just the way it works. You just removed tolarian academy because it was too fast, now you're keeping the justification that the slowest land that never produced colored mana should be banned because why? It's too terrible? The format is nonsense if you keep Tolarian Banned and don't address Library of Alexandria clearly being NOT BROKEN AT ALL. EDH is clearly a niche format with nonsense bans with this banlist. Not even pretending to be nonsense, it just IS nonsense with this banlist.

I've read and re-read this multiple times and I simply cannot conceive how anyone anywhere could possibly believe this to be a reasonable argument. Therefore, warble is joking. If he's not, I've just lost a tremendous amount of respect for him.

PS: What does L2B mean? I did a google search and all I could find was London to Brighton, which doesn't make any sense. On second thought, neither does the rest of this thread...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jul-06 12:50 pm 

Stardust wrote:
warble is joking.

PS: What does L2B mean?

Unfortunately, I'm not, Library is the most stupid banned card in the list and it PISSES ME OFF. Obsidianice you need to stop being casual about your advocacy. It's a dumb ban and you need to be more vocal about your opposition to STUPID. The only "justification" is "it's an auto-include and it's too much moneyz." Know what? That's not justification that's clipping cards from a valid card pool because why . . . less expensive cards are "more fun?"

Name a reason Library is banned that has to do with the game you're playing. Not "it iz moneyz" or "1994 man...1994..." How about "in game X in a 6 person game Library just WON blah the game and this is how it did it" There's no example, it's all B.S. I'm calling the B.S. out. Rules committee, you are bullshitting with the Library of Alexandria ban. Everyone knows it. It's time to reverse the bullshit. Learn 2 ban.

Edit: Also, if Underground Sea were worth more money than Library, wouldn't you be forced to ban underground sea as well? Just a hypothetical that could come to pass...

Last edited by warble on 2010-Jul-06 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jul-06 12:53 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

warble warble warble warble warble warbl

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jul-06 12:54 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

warble is a weird word

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jul-06 1:35 pm 

Ban Ki-moon wrote:
warble is a weird word
Haha, so you're gone for nearly two months and you come back to post this? Ha!

warble, you want an argument? Library is not on the banned list because it's too powerful. That is something everyone knows. Another thing everyone knows is that Library has a reputation for being really really good. It's a land that generates card advantage all by itself and will result in winning games more frequently when it's in a deck. As a side note, Sensei's Divining Top is commonly called an EDH staple, but the additional selection given by its effect is really pretty marginal. Top is really good, but adding it to a deck doesn't make the deck as a whole all that much better. I believe that adding Library to a deck is significantly different and will have a more substantial effect on any game it sees play (even mid-to-late game if you're playing conservatively), making the deck as a whole noticeably better. This increase in power would make Library a staple like no other, and with its high pricetag, it would make EDH seem much more inaccessible to newcomers. That's why it's banned.

If you disagree with banning based on making the game accessibe, that's another issue that you should argue head on. Library, along with the power 8, could almost certainly be taken off the banned list without toppling the format, but the stigma attached to those cards would make many would-be EDHers decide not to play since they don't have the perceived $3000 entry fee. In this case it's not about fun, it's about maintaining a healthy player base.

Last edited by Stardust on 2010-Jul-06 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jul-06 1:35 pm 

Ban Ki-moon wrote:
warble warble warble warble warble warbl

:shock: Ban-Ki-Moon LIVES!!! :shock:

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jul-06 5:44 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

I'm still waiting to know what L2B means.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next