Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Aug-18 3:23 am

Post subject: painter's servant banned
AgePosted: 2010-Jul-04 1:01 am 

I understand that painters servant is banned because it has some realy cheap combos. i was planning on making a scarecrow deck with Reaper King as the general. my question for you is what would make it unacceptable or acceptable to have painter's servant in said deck.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: painter's servant banned
AgePosted: 2010-Jul-04 1:31 am 

As far as official rules go, Painter's Servant is banned. That means that if you're bringing the deck into an unknown group you're probably better off without it so no one complains.

On the other hand, if you're playing with a group of friends, there's absolutely no reason they shouldn't let you run the card. Just clear it with people first so that there's no confusion.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jul-04 3:44 am 

Describing exactly how you plan to use the card up-front with your regular group of friends is a good way to convince them to let you run a banned card.

But, by the same token, don't be upset if they ultimately decide that they don't want you playing with a banned card.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jul-04 9:29 am 

One of those cards that wouldn't be banned in our group except for some reason no one wants to play nicely with it.

DCI Level 1 Judge.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jul-04 11:15 am 
EDH Rules Committee

Being on the "banned" list really just means "cards you need your opponent's permission to play." Painter's Servant is one that I bet you'd have no difficulty convincing them to allow. "I don't have Iona or Grindstone in my deck" should suffice :P

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jul-04 11:53 am 

Genomancer wrote:
Being on the "banned" list really just means "cards you need your opponent's permission to play." Painter's Servant is one that I bet you'd have no difficulty convincing them to allow. "I don't have Iona or Grindstone in my deck" should suffice :P

THEN WHY MUST IT BE BANNED?
Haha, I'm sorry, but the banning of Painter's Servant will always go down as a WTF moment for me.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jul-04 12:57 pm 

does painters servant's colorchanging ability only work while it is on the field?

also any thoughts on useing servant with curse of wizardry? (with relation to the original question of the post)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jul-04 2:07 pm 

janglebelly wrote:
does painters servant's colorchanging ability only work while it is on the field?

Are you asking if Painter's Servant will change the color of cards while Painter's Servant is still in your hand, before you have ever cast Painter's Servant?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jul-04 2:45 pm 

Arglypuff wrote:
janglebelly wrote:

Are you asking if Painter's Servant will change the color of cards while Painter's Servant is still in your hand, before you have ever cast Painter's Servant?

no im asking if it's effect keeps going when it dies or is exile and such. after it has come into play

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jul-04 6:04 pm 

yawg07 wrote:
THEN WHY MUST IT BE BANNED?
Haha, I'm sorry, but the banning of Painter's Servant will always go down as a WTF moment for me.

Because it's kinda like Protean Hulk and Staff of Domination -- it's used mainly to fuel ridiculous things like with Iona or Grindstone and rarely used "fairly". The RC initially had Grindstone banned because of the Painter's Servant combo with it, but then Iona came out. People were calling for the ban of Iona for a little while, but the RC instead decided to just ban the problem behind the Painter/Iona combo -- Painter's Servant. Having multiple cards banned solely because of one combo engine is not really a great philosophy to follow. Just ask Wizards when they continually banned cards that went with Necropotence in order to try and kill the Necro deck, but they finally realized that you have to actually kill the actual engine that makes everything possible.

And if it means anything else, the ability to give ANY deck a complete reset button that circumvents indestructibility and regeneration when comboed with All is Dust should be more than enough reason that the correct card was banned.

CommanderCast: Community, Strategy, and Technology: http://www.commandercast.com/

Occupy Kokusho

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jul-04 11:59 pm 

Surging Chaos wrote:
like Protean Hulk and Staff of Domination -- it's used mainly to fuel ridiculous things like with Iona or Grindstone and rarely used "fairly". The RC initially had Grindstone banned because of the Painter's Servant combo with it, but then Iona came out. People were calling for the ban of Iona for a little while, but the RC instead decided to just ban the problem behind the Painter/Iona combo -- Painter's Servant.

And if it means anything else, the ability to give ANY deck a complete reset button that circumvents indestructibility and regeneration when comboed with All is Dust should be more than enough reason that the correct card was banned.

Not exactly. Painter's Servant was banned just to keep the banlist as short as possible, not because it's "the problem" in either the Painter/Iona combo or the Painter/Grindstone combo. I don't agree at all that Painter's Servant was or would be rarely used "fairly." This thread exists because someone wanted to use it in a Scarecrow deck. I had exactly the same idea back before it was banned, which I then abandoned. I think "color matters" & Scarecrows would be a great theme for a Reaper King deck, particularly if you are able to use the best "color matters" Scarecrow.

As for All Is Dust, yes, Painter is definitely the stinker of the two, but I wouldn't ban either of them. That's a 2-card "combo" in which the end result is pretty much always a totally symmetrical sweeper, with a very small exception of Ghostway effects.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jul-05 12:40 am 

Genomancer wrote:

Or All is Dust

4] Mayael the Anima (Fatties FTW!)
5] Omnath, Locus of Mana (Big Green Men)
6] Oros, The Avenger (Rock Burn)
7] Savra, Queen of the Golgari (Token Snack)
8] Rafiq of the Many (One Man, Alone)
9] Reaper King (Taste the EPIC!)
10] Uril, the Miststalker (Dark Rafiq)

I THINK in metaphors

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jul-05 4:16 am 

intreped wrote:
...with a very small exception of Ghostway effects.

Plus my new pet Tajuru Preserver. :D
Now if I can only get my opponents to play All is Dust...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jul-05 6:57 am 

janglebelly wrote:
Arglypuff wrote:
janglebelly wrote:

no im asking if it's effect keeps going when it dies or is exile and such. after it has come into play

Since this question was skipped...
When a Painter's Servant that is defining a color leaves play, it no longer causes a color change. This is because the second ability of painter's servant, the one causing the color change, is a static ability set by the card itself. It's in the same fashion as to how destroying a Sphere of Resistance will get rid of the cost increase to spells.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jul-05 9:17 am 
EDH Rules Committee

And the short answer to the original question is that in the interest of keeping the banned list as short as possible, it was easeir to ban Painter's Servant than everything that was broken combo'd with it. Additionally, we looked a little to the future and figured there would be even more cards that did nasty things with the Servant, so this seemed much cleaner.

Offline Profile