Login | Register


All times are UTC - 7 hours


It is currently 2019-Oct-17 3:52 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Tolarian Academy banned?
AgePosted: 2010-Jun-24 6:44 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2009-Dec-22 7:59 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: New Brunswick
zurran wrote:
...making omnath easily the best deck in EDH.

Any form of removal instantly empties your entire mana pool. So after you've stored up all that mana so you can cast that big eldrazi, somebody is going to take out Omnath starting you back at square one.

Also Omnath can't run islands, so he is far from best.

_________________
Kicking your teeth in is a valid strategy.
Current decks:
Radha, Heir to Keld-Super Elfball
Retired decks:
Scion, of the Ur-Dragon-Dragons, Dragons everywhere
Wort, Boggart Auntie-Goblin Shenanigans
Jor Kadeen, the Prevailer-I will Prevail


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tolarian Academy banned?
AgePosted: 2010-Jun-24 7:15 pm 

Joined: 2008-Jul-29 5:20 pm
Age: Drake
Yeah....Roflz > Om-Nom-Nom-nath. To be honest though, the two of them play very different. Back on topic, I'm not sure about academy being gone. Sure, you can tutor for it and use those same tutors to find answers for it. That you could build around it meant it was abusable, but the change was found necessary courtesy of Tentacruel and Co. Jury is still out for me on this set of bans.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tolarian Academy banned?
AgePosted: 2010-Jun-24 7:56 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2009-Aug-20 7:49 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: New Hampshire
zurran wrote:
Sid the Chicken wrote:
mayonaise wrote:
Besides there are Strip mine, Wasteland, Tectonic Edge, etc... for this.

The argument "that nasty card can be killed with this other card" is very very very very rarely a legitimate argument against the power level of the first card. Anything CAN be answered. Somehow. Rofellos has been re-banned as a general. By your logic, it doesn't need to be because people run spot creature removal.


But rofelloes isnt banned from play just as a general so your argument is a moot point. academy has no us being banned . now all versions of artifact decks that aren't arcum cant compete against decks like omnath or zur the enchanter. i understand that everyone loves zur but having someone that tutors every turn for free with no penalties is more game balanced then 4 or 5 blue mana? with rofellos it was infinite mana advantage, same with omnath, accept omnath is faster and harder to beat. I'm guessing the people who make this list don't own academy's and therefor banned it for hate not actual balance reasons. people that play academy's don't need to play eldrazi. but now people that play mana excel get to without penalty making omnath easily the best deck in EDH.

Actually it's not a moot point. The argument is that the existence of answers does not make bannings unnecessary, ever. And I absolutely refuse to believe that artifact based decks other than daggson are now impotent. If your deck relies that much on a specific land, it means your deck is bad and needs to be re-designed. Also I wouldn't go so far as to say that "everyone loves Zur". As for academy ownership, I'd be willing to bet that you're way off on that count too, even if Sheldon is known for loving the red zone, assuming the RC are essentially a bunch of angry jealous kids is pretty ridiculous.

_________________
"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tolarian Academy banned?
AgePosted: 2010-Jun-24 11:55 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

Joined: 2006-May-18 5:21 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
zurran wrote:
I'm guessing the people who make this list don't own academy's and therefor banned it for hate not actual balance reasons.


Image

You can Meet the Rules Committee!

zurran wrote:
but now people that play mana excel get to without penalty making omnath easily the best deck in EDH.


If this were true, it would be a happy day. Omnath smash!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tolarian Academy banned?
AgePosted: 2010-Jun-25 1:54 am 

Joined: 2008-Nov-25 3:51 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Toronto, ON
Mono green is so much easier to beat than major artifact blue decks, like Arcum. Green ramp has been limited with the loss of Channel but the ability to smash face is much more fun in EDH. There is a multitude of answers for mono green and those decks don't have counterspells to defend themselves, making them much more vulnerable to hate. A few land-de spells is not enough to answer TA because of the short window before things get stupid, but if players play smart they should be able to keep the Omnath player under control.

_________________
1] Horde of Notions (Blink)
2] Teneb, The Harvester (Rock)
3] Isperia the Inscrutable (U/W Control)
4] Mayael the Anima (Fatties FTW!)
5] Omnath, Locus of Mana (Big Green Men)
6] Oros, The Avenger (Rock Burn)
7] Savra, Queen of the Golgari (Token Snack)
8] Rafiq of the Many (One Man, Alone)
9] Reaper King (Taste the EPIC!)
10] Uril, the Miststalker (Dark Rafiq)


I THINK in metaphors


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tolarian Academy banned?
AgePosted: 2010-Jun-25 1:48 pm 
EDH Rules Committee
User avatar

Joined: 2006-May-24 10:14 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Tampa, FL, USA
Average age of RC members: 36.
Average years of Magic xp: about 14
Average judge level of those who are certified: 4.25

Seems just like a bunch of little kids who don't own Academies.

_________________
"Leave the gun. Take the cannolis."


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tolarian Academy banned?
AgePosted: 2010-Jun-25 3:33 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2008-May-04 6:05 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Wisconsin
Take a challenge and actually make a blue deck that doesn't need academy...

my god... people call MTG cardboard crack...

I think Tolarian Academy is the true cardboard crack and now everyone who ran blue based artifact decks are going through a withdrawl (me included). Eventually everyone will get over their addiction and will enjoy playing blue once again.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tolarian Academy banned?
AgePosted: 2010-Jul-05 9:07 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2008-Nov-08 5:27 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Canberra
I hope people click on this thread, it didn't die it was just sleeping.

I was just at a PTQ, and talked to a player with his own EDH group. It was very useful because I know from online that my EDH group is a little different. His EDH group is what I'd call "cut throat". He was so happy tolarian academy was banned, because his group is all about combo. Mass land destruction can't be banned because it's the only way to really fight it. He runs an intet tooth kiki pestermite deck as it is. Tolarian academy was not a second general, it was the general for the players in his group; the generals were just a card you could cast for some card advantage.

Its banning will help fix his metagame and improve the quality of their games.

PS I came 9th at the PTQ, lol.

_________________
BAN WILLOW SATYR

DCI Level 1 Judge.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 7 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: intreped and 25 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: