Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-21 7:29 pm

Post subject: Why is Library of Alexandria Banned
AgePosted: 2010-Jun-15 2:58 pm 

I was comparing the (main/multiplayer)EDH banlist on this site with the French(1v1) EDH ban list

Most of the differences looked liked they made sense

mana crypt, and sol ring for example are banned in the french list as can provide much stronger starts given the format.

Then I noticed that Library of Alexandria is allowed in the French list but not in the main multiplayer ban list.

Library seems to me to be a card much stronger in 1v1 then multi(as its basically 1 extra draw per turn, given you have a full hand), and doesn't seem as broken as many of the other cards on the banlist(and some of the cards not on the list.. channel, necropotence, tolarian acadamy, for example)

And while it is an expensive card, there are a number of similarly priced & powerful cards which are legal, Mana Drain, Timetwister, Mishra's workshop, tabernacle

so I'm wondering why it would be legal in the French list, but not in the Multiplayer list?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Why is Library of Alexandria Banned
AgePosted: 2010-Jun-15 3:13 pm 

french list is balanced for 1v1 30 life ie a much quicker format.

As to the cost issue, Library is a high dollar card, and because it's playable in every deck out there ( other than that guy that's breaking hellbent like a motha' )

There are high or like priced cards out there, bazaar / workshop / zodiac dragon / imperial seal/ summer magic hurricane, but none of them are seen as a barrier to entry type card.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jun-15 4:45 pm 

besides the french being..... different, why not just read through the forum before you post?

Teneb, the Harvester
Heartless Hidetsugu
Ob Nixilis, the Fallen
Reaper King
Ruhan of the Fomori
Hanna, Ship's Navigator
Ol
oro, Ageless Ascetic
Roon of the Hidden Realm
Nekusar, the Mindrazer

Sapling of Colfenor
Wrexial, the Risen Deep
Niv-Mizzet the Firemind
Ghost Council of Orzhova
Scion of the Ur-Dragon
Momir Vig, Simic Visionary

Child of Alara
Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund
Rith, the Awakener
Brion Stoutarm
Experiment Kraj
Razia, Boros Archangel
Grand Arbiter Augustin IV
Wort, Bogart Auntie
Kaalia of the Vast
Tariel, Reckoner of Souls

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jun-16 12:30 am 

And LoA should really be banned in the 1v1 format anyway as the card advantage gained is not offset by having multiple opponents like in Multiplayer. The biggest reason it's not seems to be that the people who own and run LoA seem to be the people who govern the 1v1 banlist, a conflict of interest if ever I saw one.

Edit:
Oh and 24x30cl, care to expand on your "different" comment?

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jun-16 12:54 am 

Quote:
Edit:

Je pense qui'l voulait dit que vous est super est fantastique mes savait pas le propre facon pour dire.

I lived in France for 3 years and it was different. So different I can't wait to go back. I miss my Creperie.

Last edited by GoodbyeWorld on 2010-Jun-16 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jun-16 1:04 am 

This ban is straight forward. Not all bans are for the same reason. The reason this is banned is because it is two things:

1. Expensive
2. Would be popular

Expensive cards such as mana drain don't need to be banned because players don't go "I need mana drain to play my EDH deck". Can't be said for LoA, if it was legal and a mature group had them then it would hinder other players entry into the game. For some odd reason they'd think they need LoA to compete.

DCI Level 1 Judge.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jun-16 2:15 am 

Library is banned because it is expensive and potentially playable in every deck.

That said, unbanning it doesn't seem out of the question. Personally, I don't feel like it would be powerful enough to feel "required," and it needs a home - it hasn't seen any play in other formats for a while.

I'm sure I'll get sick of it eventually, but I'm liking the counter-trend of "Why is X Banned" threads to balance out the "Case to ban Y" threads.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jun-16 3:49 am 

Pysces wrote:
Quote:
Edit:

Je pense qui'l voulait dit que ces't super est fantastique mes savait pas le propre facon pour dire.

I lived in France for 3 years and it was different. So different I can't wait to go back. I miss my Creperie.

If it's anything like the Cafe Crepes they have here in Vancouver, I can see why. Cheap beer, expensive (but oh so delicious, especially when drunk) crepes, and open after the bars have closed. Makes me want a Nutella and coconut crepe just thinking about it.

Decks: Lion King (Rafiq of the Many - Midrange Combo); Uril, the Miststalker (Enchantress Beasts); Saliva (Sliver Overlord - Sliver/Allies); Angry Enchantress (Child of Alara - 5c Enchantments); Nicol Bolas (Reanimator Goodstuff)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jun-16 4:15 am 

mesti wrote:
Pysces wrote:
Quote:
Edit:

Je pense qui'l voulait dit que ces't super est fantastique mes savait pas le propre facon pour dire.

If it's anything like the Cafe Crepes they have here in Vancouver, I can see why. Cheap beer, expensive (but oh so delicious, especially when drunk) crepes, and open after the bars have closed. Makes me want a Nutella and coconut crepe just thinking about it.

It's the savoury french crepes that I miss, with a good Apple Cider. Don't get me wrong the sweet ones are amazing, and I used to love taking the train up to Saint Lazare and picking up a Nutella crepe from street stalls. Anyway the savoury crepes are like your favourite breakfast wrapped in a warm wheat crepe..... Soooo good.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jun-16 6:55 am 

mesti wrote:
If it's anything like the Cafe Crepes they have here in Vancouver, I can see why.

My sister took me to the one in Toronto and it... did things to me. It was good goin' down, but I regretted it about halfway back to her apartment. Side note on that, the city of Toronto has an excellent public transit system... but it needs more restrooms. I wound up sprinting out of a subway station and dashing across a few streets to reach the nearest open establishment so I wouldn't need a change of pants.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile