Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-16 6:45 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Spawnsire of Ulamog. His ability is legal, but not wishes?
AgePosted: 2010-May-16 9:05 am 
EDH Rules Committee

Wishes/Spawnsire do not work in 'official' EDH. The ruling quoted earlier was from before the Exile zone existed. If your group wants to let you get stuff out of your binder, that's up to you all, but don't expect to go to an EDH event of any kind and have them work.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-May-16 9:07 am 

Sheldon wrote:
Wishes/Spawnsire do not work in 'official' EDH. The ruling quoted earlier was from before the Exile zone existed. If your group wants to let you get stuff out of your binder, that's up to you all, but don't expect to go to an EDH event of any kind and have them work.

Okay then, noted. Are you going to update the rules to reflect this? It would sure help prevent these threads from happening again.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-May-16 2:07 pm 

yawg07 wrote:
Okay then, noted. Are you going to update the rules to reflect this? It would sure help prevent these threads from happening again.

It's more than just helpful, it's necessary. Right now, there's no reason why the Oracle ruling doesn't apply to EDH, meaning you can get any card from your collection with them.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-May-16 3:07 pm 

Woohoo! I'm not crazy!

*does a dance*

But yes, rules update please! :shock:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-May-16 10:03 pm 

intreped wrote:
yawg07 wrote:

It's more than just helpful, it's necessary. Right now, there's no reason why the Oracle ruling doesn't apply to EDH, meaning you can get any card from your collection with them.

In sanctioned events, wishes just go to get sidwboard or RFG cards. The binder thing is cool in casual, but I can see "hold on a minute, I've got it somewhere" situations being sucktacular for the rest of the table. If you're just playing with a binder next to you so that doesn't happen, you're just running a HUGE sideboard with way too many wishes. But hey, do whatever your playgroup wants.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-May-17 5:02 am 

I agree that the official rules page should be updated.

I would also appreciate a further explanation on why wishes/spawnsire don't work in EDH. The easiest, most logical thing for me would be to allow them to work like in normal magic, where the cards come from the SB. Since we have rules for a SB, more information on why these cards are so bad for EDH would be appreciated.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-May-17 5:29 am 

Sheldon wrote:

And what is 'official' EDH? EDH is a casual format by nature. Wishes work as printed in other casual formats, so this ruling either means that wishes/spawnsire need to be put on the banned list, OR this ruling needs to make into the play rules with the caveat that they can fetch sideboard cards if those optional rules are used.
zimagic wrote:
In a sanctioned event, a card that's "outside the game" is one that's in your sideboard. In an unsanctioned event, you may choose any card from your collection.

Again, this is how wishes work everywhere else, which is why it needs to be in the rules if they're going to work differently.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-May-17 10:18 am 
EDH Rules Committee

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Sheldon wrote:

And what is 'official' EDH? EDH is a casual format by nature. Wishes work as printed in other casual formats

They really kind of don't. You've just hacked up a bunch of house rules to make them work. If I can get any card from my collection, I presume you're OK with me driving home to get it?

Which is pretty much Sheldon's point: if your casual group wants to establish rules on how you want to handle wishes, then that's fine, but, practically speaking, they don't work very well and showing up to an unknown playgroup assuming that they'll function the way you want them to is asking for bad feelings.

If the tournament is running sideboards, you can generally expect to use Wishes on them.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-May-17 11:12 am 

papa_funk wrote:
they don't work very well and showing up to an unknown playgroup assuming that they'll function the way you want them to is asking for bad feelings.

Then why not ban them except when the optional sideboard rule is used? That would allow someone looking at the rules for the format understand that point.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-May-17 11:16 am 

cheethorne wrote:
papa_funk wrote:
they don't work very well and showing up to an unknown playgroup assuming that they'll function the way you want them to is asking for bad feelings.

Then why not ban them except when the optional sideboard rule is used? That would allow someone looking at the rules for the format understand that point.

because, at least in Spawnsire's case, the card does something else rather than just "wish" as does Research//Development

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-May-17 11:26 am 

papa_funk wrote:
They really kind of don't. You've just hacked up a bunch of house rules to make them work. If I can get any card from my collection, I presume you're OK with me driving home to get it?

I'd be as OK with as I would be if we were playing any other casual format... in your extreme and highly unlikely scenario, no, but if you have one WITH you and in a reasonably accessible place, like a binder vs. stuffed in a 5000 count box or something, then no I don't mind. I think you're kind of confusing house rules with some common etiquette. The same sort of etiquette used when you tutor ahead of time rather than wait for your last opponent's end step to do it (something many an EDH player is comfortable with/encourages).

papa_funk wrote:
Which is pretty much Sheldon's point: if your casual group wants to establish rules on how you want to handle wishes, then that's fine, but, practically speaking, they don't work very well and showing up to an unknown playgroup assuming that they'll function the way you want them to is asking for bad feelings.

This is why I asked what he means by 'official'. If the idea is that you can go as far as your playgroup will allow outside of a tournament or other organized play, and within such organized play wishes go to sideboards only, then that's fine. But making a broad statement like 'wishes don't work in official EDH' without clarifying that further and without any rule on the rules page that supports that is not helpful, because as far as I'm concerned, "Works as printed unless you're in an organized event, in which case sideboard only" is the same as "works as printed".

papa_funk wrote:
If the tournament is running sideboards, you can generally expect to use Wishes on them.

In an organized play setting this is how most people would expect them to function, and also to not be allowed to wish for cards not in said sideboard.

So I'll ask again for one of the following things to happen;
1. Ban wishes/spawnsire
2. Allow them to work as printed
3. Amend the official rules page to address them
Just have a clear position in an easy to find and logical place, not a ruling tucked away in a forum post.

EDIT:
intreped wrote:
yawg07 wrote:

QFT

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-May-17 12:33 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

Sid the Chicken wrote:
papa_funk wrote:

I'd be as OK with as I would be if we were playing any other casual format... in your extreme and highly unlikely scenario, no, but if you have one WITH you and in a reasonably accessible place, like a binder vs. stuffed in a 5000 count box or something, then no I don't mind. I think you're kind of confusing house rules with some common etiquette. The same sort of etiquette used when you tutor ahead of time rather than wait for your last opponent's end step to do it (something many an EDH player is comfortable with/encourages).

There you go, imposing your house rules on me. See the problem?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-May-17 1:29 pm 

papa_funk wrote:

So, just to be clear, the official point of view of the RC on wishes seems to be that they "don't work" in casual games because people might be annoyed at the time it takes to find a card you own from outside the game, making no assumptions on the location of said card or the courtesy of the player of the wish toward the other players. That's fine. I don't object to that.
[beating a dead horse]But you can't just announce that they don't work in a forum thread like this. That's information that should be easy to find that I shouldn't have to keep a close watch on the forums to know about. Because there is no rule in the comp rules or the EDH rules that actually prevents you from running a wish in your deck or using it to obtain any card you own from outside the game (as appropriate for the wish played). The ONLY limiting factor is the approval or disapproval of your fellow players. Therefore, you the RC need to either ban them, add a rule about them to the EDH rules or leave them up to the community at large.[/beating a dead horse]

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-May-17 1:50 pm 

papa_funk wrote:

Etiquette and house rules are different. I don't see the problem, personally.

Even lumping them together, by giving a broad statement of "wishes don't work" based on "A group of situations are commonly disliked by many players caused by them" is the same as saying that "mass land destruction doesn't work".

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-May-17 3:34 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

Sid the Chicken wrote:
But you can't just announce that they don't work in a forum thread like this. That's information that should be easy to find that I shouldn't have to keep a close watch on the forums to know about. Because there is no rule in the comp rules or the EDH rules that actually prevents you from running a wish in your deck or using it to obtain any card you own from outside the game (as appropriate for the wish played). The ONLY limiting factor is the approval or disapproval of your fellow players. Therefore, you the RC need to either ban them, add a rule about them to the EDH rules or leave them up to the community at large.

Which part of "you're all intelligent people, discuss how you want to handle it with your playgroup" isn't leaving this to the community at large?

Why is there a sudden need to demand emergency rule updates for cards that are 8 years old?

Why does the fact that you don't know what the answer is not suggest that you should ask the person in charge how they want to handle it?

Isn't "The ONLY limiting factor is the approval or disapproval of your fellow players" pretty much the point?

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next