Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-18 3:39 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: Spawnsire of Ulamog. His ability is legal, but not wishes?
AgePosted: 2010-May-25 7:25 am 

Wow, from this thread to the format rules to a Star City Games article.

That's some nice upwards momentum.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-May-28 10:24 am 

Love what Sheldon has to say there. That aspect (knowing what to expect when you play with other people) is exactly why I'm very happy to see the ruling move into an official "rule" -- so everyone will know (and easily be able to confirm) how the cards work in this format.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jun-07 12:43 am 

I think this thread would lead me to some sideboarding...

I would take out:
15 lines of awkward text explaining a simple problem

I would put in:
Xx Cards to the banned list.

/2c

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jun-07 5:15 am 

Oatus wrote:
I think this thread would lead me to some sideboarding...

I would take out:
15 lines of awkward text explaining a simple problem

I would put in:
Xx Cards to the banned list.

/2c

There are three reasons not to do this.
1. They are trying to keep the banned list as short as possible, and doing this would add about 9 or 10 cards to it.
2. Some of those 9 or 10 (such as Spawnsire) actually do something other than wish, and there's no reason to take those effects out of the format just over the wish issue. Effectively this ruling does ban the Judgement wishes, Glittering Wish and Ring of Maruff, but Spawnsire and Research//Development can still be played for other things.
3. For events that allow sideboarding, you can still use wishes legitimately.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jun-14 8:02 pm 

I agree with Sid the Chicken. If wishes don't work because they're "Un" cards, just ban them like Stop that, Falling Star, Chaos Orb,etc., then just ban them.

Otherwise you have to give them errata - here we go right into the Karakas/Riftsweeper type arguments again. It's easier to ban cards than to rewrite format rules.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jun-15 7:13 am 

Philatio wrote:
I agree with Sid the Chicken. If wishes don't work because they're "Un" cards, just ban them

Unless my reading is very bad, Sid the Chicken endorsed the "use only with sideboard" decision (I went back and reread a few his last few posts in this thread) and you seem to not like that decision. So where do you agree?

Philatio wrote:
Otherwise you have to give them errata - here we go right into the Karakas/Riftsweeper type arguments again.

The definition of what cards fall outside the game is perfectly within the purview of the rules of the format / tournament and has nothing to do with the text on the cards. The format rules can clearly state that you do not own any cards outside of the game while a game is ongoing unless you are playing with sideboards. Doing so requires no text changes. This is no where near the same as text errata saying that Karakas cannot target generals.

Also, to ban an entire class of cards that continue to be developed and printed is a bad thing to do. Sure, they don't get printed very often, but by putting in the one or two lines of Rules text now, they cover all possibilities of such cards that are printed in the future. I can imagine a future, twenty years down the road, where the ban list has grown to like 40 cards, over half of which are wish-style cards. That is just bad planning for the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jun-15 11:17 am 

Philatio wrote:
I agree with Sid the Chicken. If wishes don't work because they're "Un" cards, just ban them like Stop that, Falling Star, Chaos Orb,etc., then just ban them.

:?: :? :?:
Not only did I not say that, I don't think anyone else has mentioned "Un" cards in this thread... at all.

I said this...
Sid the Chicken wrote:
There are three reasons not to do this. (Ban all wish effect cards)
1. They are trying to keep the banned list as short as possible, and doing this would add about 9 or 10 cards to it.
2. Some of those 9 or 10 (such as Spawnsire) actually do something other than wish, and there's no reason to take those effects out of the format just over the wish issue. Effectively this ruling does ban the Judgement wishes, Glittering Wish and Ring of Maruff, but Spawnsire and Research//Development can still be played for other things.
3. For events that allow sideboarding, you can still use wishes legitimately.

Did you mean you DISagree?

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9