Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-14 5:16 am

Post subject: preventing damage...
AgePosted: 2012-Feb-07 4:10 pm 

Lets say I have the card weathered bodyguards and I choose not to block the player all damage goes to him. At the same time I have oriss, samite Guardian on the field tap her and prevent all damage dealt to target creature would that work or would trample damage get through. Im just curious for fun because I know you cant use these cards together in the same deck.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: preventing damage...
AgePosted: 2012-Feb-07 4:27 pm 

Unyielding Talent wrote:
I know you cant use these cards together in the same deck.

Why would you not be able to use them in the same deck? That is a perfectly viable mono white combo that does defend you from combat damage til either of the creatures is removed.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Feb-07 5:25 pm 

So it even stops trample damage :?: I was asking because it seems like a pretty crazy defense for i would almost call it op unless you removed that creature from the game or somthing

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Feb-07 5:37 pm 

Unyielding Talent wrote:
So it even stops trample damage :?: I was asking because it seems like a pretty crazy defense for i would almost call it op unless you removed that creature from the game or somthing

It works like you think. All the damage assigned to you is assigned in full to the creature and then prevented by Oriss.

The trample effect basically never occurs because it was never blocked by a creature.

Someone better at describing the rules will probably step in shortly and explain it all.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Feb-07 5:42 pm 

so unless he says he blocks with that creature and then prevents the damage only then will the trample effect get through

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Feb-07 5:51 pm 

Unyielding Talent wrote:
so unless he says he blocks with that creature and then prevents the damage only then will the trample effect get through

Assuming player A attacks with Force of Nature and you block with a Savannah Lions.

1 damage will be assigned to the Lions (causing it to die) and 7 trample damage will be assigned to you.

That 7 damage will be redirected to Weathered Bodyguards and then Oriss, Samite Guardian could be tapped to prevent all the damage to Weathered Bodyguards. Result? Savannah Lions die, and you take no damage.

The correct move of course would be to not block at all, have the damage redirected to the Bodyguards and then tap Oriss to prevent it.

If you block a trampling creature with the Savannah Lions and then use Oriss to prevent all the damage to the Lions, the attacking player only has to assign lethal damage to the Lion (1 point) and then can assign the rest to you. So you would take 7 damage and the Lions would live to see another day (assuming no Bodyguards in play).

Interestingly, if you blocked the Force of Nature with the Weathered Bodyguards, then prevented the damage with Oriss what would happen is the opponent would assign lethal to the Bodyguards (5 damage) and 3 damage to you. The 3 damage would then be redirected to the Bodyguards, but would still be prevented from Oriss. Same result as if you hadn't blocked basically.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Feb-07 6:27 pm 

The important thing to understand here is that trample no longer works the way it did in the old days, when you assigned damage to the creatures, and whatever was left beyond lethal went to the defending player. Now damage is assigned directly to the defending player. Also note that even the old way, trample damage would not have come through because the bodyguard was not blocking the trampling creature.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Feb-07 11:56 pm 

Pysces wrote:
Unyielding Talent wrote:

Assuming player A attacks with Force of Nature and you block with a Savannah Lions.

1 damage will be assigned to the Lions (causing it to die) and 7 trample damage will be assigned to you.

That 7 damage will be redirected to Weathered Bodyguards and then Oriss, Samite Guardian could be tapped to prevent all the damage to Weathered Bodyguards. Result? Savannah Lions die, and you take no damage.

The correct move of course would be to not block at all, have the damage redirected to the Bodyguards and then tap Oriss to prevent it.

If you block a trampling creature with the Savannah Lions and then use Oriss to prevent all the damage to the Lions, the attacking player only has to assign lethal damage to the Lion (1 point) and then can assign the rest to you. So you would take 7 damage and the Lions would live to see another day (assuming no Bodyguards in play).

Interestingly, if you blocked the Force of Nature with the Weathered Bodyguards, then prevented the damage with Oriss what would happen is the opponent would assign lethal to the Bodyguards (5 damage) and 3 damage to you. The 3 damage would then be redirected to the Bodyguards, but would still be prevented from Oriss. Same result as if you hadn't blocked basically.

I think you missed the line on Weathered Bodyguards that says "unblocked creatures."

If you block an 8/8 trample with a 2/1, the 2/1 will take 1 damage and you will take 7 damage. The Bodyguards' replacement effect will do nothing and they will redirect no damage.

If you block an 8/8 trample with the Bodyguards themselves, the Bodyguards will take 5 damage and you will take 3. You can use Oriss to save the Bodyguards, but you will still take 3. The damage is still not redirected.

Like you said, the best option is to simply not block and use Oriss's ability on the Bodyguards.

Current Decks
Rith, the Awakener (Formerly Asmira, Holy Avenger and Tolsimir Wolfblood)
Sharuum the Hegemon (WIP) (Formerly Teysa, Orzhov Scion)
Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Feb-08 7:26 am 
EDH Rules Committee

If you think that's nuts, you should see Glarecaster. Since combat damage happens all at the same time, his ability redirects all of it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Feb-08 2:49 pm 

Quote:
9/25/2006: Weathered Bodyguards affects only combat damage from unblocked creatures. It won't affect noncombat damage, and it won't affect trample damage.

Offline Profile