Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Aug-16 8:37 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Case to BAN Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
AgePosted: 2010-May-05 12:37 pm 

I am not a Fan of Emrakul and will probably never play him. He is very format warping. I loaded up my Hanna Deck with answers to him. Already had some of the cards in there but added 10 more. That is why i don't like him. I had to take cards out I wanted to play so that I could deal with 1 creature everyone seems to be playing.

Added (All fine cards but wish I didn't have to play them)
Bribery
Grinning Totem- Play there Emrakul from their deck.
Telemin Performance
Gather Specimens
Ensnaring Bridge
Sacred Ground
Jester's Cap
Knowledge Explotation - Often used to play your Bribery for your Emrakul
Helm of Possession
Time Stop

Already Had in Deck
Meekstone
Helm of Obedience
Reins of Power - Killed a guy with some other guys Eldrazi that he got from some other player's deck.
Mirrorweave
Wrath of God
Martial Coup

In my Konda deck I loaded it up with 22 Wrath effects, Icy Manipulator, Scepter of Dominance, Crackdown and a few other cards. I have since gone down to 18 wrath effects.

Current Generals:

Last edited by GU Doug on 2010-May-05 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-May-05 12:51 pm 

There are plenty of ways to answer Emrakul without running otherwise undesirable cards. If you don't want to play those cards you listed, what cards do you want to play, and what were you using previously as answers to creatures?

Hazezon Tamar - Tokens!
Nicol Bolas - Creatureless!
Kresh, the Bloodbraided - Red Zone Aggression!
Teneb, the Harvester - Graveyard!
Sharuum the Hegemon - Artifacts!
Experiment Kraj - +1/+1 counters!
Jaya Ballard, Task Mage - Big Red!
Oros, the Avenger - Stuff!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-May-05 1:14 pm 

Wrath effects against Emrakul? You alerady lose a turn, 15 life and 6 permanents.
I think that he is too strong, too, and almost every ramping deck wants to play him, so games end up often in the same way. Its uncool, but on the other hand only rofellos is safe enough to gather 15 mana early even with much disturbance. Other decks usually win before making so much mana or have no chance to play him when other players expect to see his emrakul.
Thats why I hate rofellos and jerk controls, which only counter spells, destroy board and cast mana artifacts + academy to survive until drawing one of their few win cons.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-May-05 1:23 pm 

Silencer wrote:
Wrath effects against Emrakul? You alerady lose a turn, 15 life and 6 permanents.

Well I am not going to quit playing a deck I have had for a long time, worked on a lot, and went out and bought the cards for. But like I said before Emrakul is dumb and format warping.

Current Generals:

Last edited by GU Doug on 2010-May-05 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-May-05 1:30 pm 

There are plenty of ways to answer Emrakul without running otherwise undesirable cards. If you don't want to play those cards you listed, what cards do you want to play, and what were you using previously as answers to creatures?

Hazezon Tamar - Tokens!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-May-05 1:50 pm 

Cervid wrote:

I usually don't care to much about creatures with that deck, unless I just Helm of Possessioned you and rings-ed it fully intending on getting it back and doing it again next turn...or I need a big fat mirrorweave target for my 30 snake tokens...or I need a Rite of Replication with kicker target. When you have a Flying 15/15 with timewarp, pseudo-shroud, and 2 quasi-violent ultimatums of my defending choice attached to it when it attacks and anyone can play it in any deck that is a problem that must be dealt with.

Current Generals:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-May-05 1:57 pm 

I don't think you're going to get too much sympathy for having to run quality answers to creatures, which also answer Emrakul. If your deck lacked these before now, it's likely it was getting away with murder.

I can think of 15-20 quality cards that answer Emrakul that you're likely to find in many UW decks, and do far more than just answer Emrakul.

Hazezon Tamar - Tokens!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-May-05 2:04 pm 

Cervid wrote:
I don't think you're going to get too much sympathy for having to run quality answers to creatures, which also answer Emrakul. If your deck lacked these before now, it's likely it was getting away with murder.

I can think of 15-20 quality cards that answer Emrakul that you're likely to find in many UW decks, and do far more than just answer Emrakul.

I'm sure there are. I just don't like having to change my decks for 1 card. I never said the cards I added are bad...I would rather have the cards I took out back and not have to worry about Emrakul. I never said ban Emrakul I just don't like him. Things I don't like I just don't play. I try to lead by example.

Current Generals:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-May-05 4:32 pm 

GU Doug wrote:
I just don't like having to change my decks for 1 card.

There are all kinds of powerful and dangerous creatures in the game, especially in recent years. Even if Emrakul is the biggest and nastiest one you've seen so far doesn't mean that there aren't a number of nasty ones floating around that you've ignored so far.

Even if Emrakul wasn't printed, it sounds like you would have made the same complaint about Kozilek or Ulamog or Iona or some other creature that finally made you pay attention to the shift in the format towards VERY nasty large creatures instead of simply forgettable large creatures.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-May-05 10:22 pm 

cheethorne wrote:
GU Doug wrote:

There are all kinds of powerful and dangerous creatures in the game, especially in recent years. Even if Emrakul is the biggest and nastiest one you've seen so far doesn't mean that there aren't a number of nasty ones floating around that you've ignored so far.

Even if Emrakul wasn't printed, it sounds like you would have made the same complaint about Kozilek or Ulamog or Iona or some other creature that finally made you pay attention to the shift in the format towards VERY nasty large creatures instead of simply forgettable large creatures.

The Power level of a creature is a relative thing. I think in terms of the ratio between raw "destructive" power and answer-ability he sits on the top of the heap, far and above any other creature in this format. I get the whole "he costs-15-mana-and-this-is-EDH argument". For me Sundering Titan is up there as well but I'd rather face Titan all day than Emrakul. Emrakul is way above the curve there. The rest of the Eldrazi aren't even in the same league in the power/answer-ability ratio. And Iona is actually not even close. They might lock out the random mono-color deck but there are far more answers to Iona than Emrakul and once she's dealt with you still have all of your permanents left.

Once again this is based on the fear I felt facing down Emrakul in two different games. Try it, it's not fun!

4] Mayael the Anima (Fatties FTW!)
5] Omnath, Locus of Mana (Big Green Men)
6] Oros, The Avenger (Rock Burn)
7] Savra, Queen of the Golgari (Token Snack)
8] Rafiq of the Many (One Man, Alone)
9] Reaper King (Taste the EPIC!)
10] Uril, the Miststalker (Dark Rafiq)

I THINK in metaphors

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-May-06 6:01 am 

cheethorne wrote:
GU Doug wrote:

I have no problem with the other Eldrazi and if Emrakul wasn't printed I still wouldn't. Sure there good but they aren't that good. Emrakul Is top of the food chain for the most part as far as creatures go based solely on them by themselves.

Again I never said Emrakul should be banned. I was just commenting in this thread that I don't like it, It warps the Format, and in my oppinion it is bad for EDH. Alot of the games I have played post RoE have been almost entirely centered around who can get Emrakul out, and it is "awesome" when they get him and crystal shard out at the same time. I've played alot of 1v1 games now to and they are just dumb. I'll play Emrakul ... scoop ... turn five Bribery for your Emrakul ... scoop ... "fun". Keep playing him if you want I will just keep getting him from your deck and killing you with him until you take him out.

Current Generals:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-May-06 7:25 am 

If you're playing 1v1 and someone gets it out then, yeah, they deserve to win. And if you're constantly getting Bribery'd then take it out of your deck (or your opp should take it out of theirs unless they're willing to risk it). Players shouldn't be playing anything in their decks they themselves aren't prepared to face.

And anyway, 1v1 isn't usually about epic games, it's mostly about who can win the fastest.

If you're playing MP then some of the other players should have answers to it, even if you don't. That's part of the balancing effect of multiplayer. Not every player is going to have an answer to it every time it comes down, but at least one player should have an answer in hand often enough to prevent it from becoming too much of a problem.

Is it format warping in 1v1? IDK, since I avoid 1v1 EDH like the plague. And 1v1 has its' own set of issues anyway, so if you feel that it is a big enough issue then petition the maintainers of the French list.
Or play multiplayer EDH. You know, the way it was originally designed to be played. :p

That's not ban-worthy, that's the spirit of EDH. Three-card combo involving the combat phase? Awesome.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-May-06 11:29 am 

I really don’t have a problem with emrakul. He’s a big squiggle monster that gets killed by tons of stuff, in my mind genesis is a bidder issue (and I’m not saying genesis is an issue). Edh is “battle cruiser magic”, why are people having such an issue with this dude who almost entirely embodies this aspect of the game. It just seems like if you have an issue with playing against a huge flying dude that gets killed by tons of stuff; this isn’t the format for you.

Again, there are infinite answers to this dude. I don't play a lot of white, but I have more trouble dealing with dsc than emrakul.

...It’s either that or the big bowl of nails and screws we eat for breakfast every morning. :|

Joz wrote:
I didn't want to be the one to say it to start, but I do agree with TSE.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-May-07 5:29 am 

I <3 Emrakul, and I've lost to it twice after it was hardcast. That is what a 15 mana monster should be in my mind, and I have no problem with the card at all.

Rafiq, Sharuum, Nekusar, Kresh, Mayael, Kaalia, Maelstrom Wanderer, Ghave, Ruhan, Mimeoplasm, Genju of the Realm, Phelddagrif, Derevi, Oloro, Jenara, Karrthus, Marath, Tariel, Riku, Karador, Numot, Damia, Sliver Overlord, Karn, Silver Golem

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-May-07 11:44 pm 

Artos wrote:
I <3 Emrakul, and I've lost to it twice after it was hardcast. That is what a 15 mana monster should be in my mind, and I have no problem with the card at all.

I think he would still be up on the power curve without the semi-shroud ability. If he didn't have that I would be fine with him. An extra turn to guaratee a swing with him is justified.

4] Mayael the Anima (Fatties FTW!)
5] Omnath, Locus of Mana (Big Green Men)
6] Oros, The Avenger (Rock Burn)
7] Savra, Queen of the Golgari (Token Snack)
8] Rafiq of the Many (One Man, Alone)
9] Reaper King (Taste the EPIC!)
10] Uril, the Miststalker (Dark Rafiq)

I THINK in metaphors

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next