Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2017-Sep-22 3:43 pm

Post subject: EDH Victory Points (Very Long)
AgePosted: 2010-Apr-30 12:49 am 

I've been experimenting with these a bit of late (I've got a post regarding some findings in the tournament reports) and just wanted to share the list I've been working on. My list borrows heavily from the Armada Games list, but removes a number of the clunkier or more problematic bonuses and adds quite a few of my own, while tinkering with point values for better balance. Feel free to use my ideas or suggest your own.

A few notes on rules:
- Unless specifically noted otherwise, players can only claim a bonus once per round.
- Bonuses that read “control X” do not count control effects that only last until end of turn. Such effects do still count as “stealing,” however.
- Only half to three-quarters of the awards below would be available on any particular night. The list would rotate regularly to minimize decks warping around it.

EDIT: About two-thirds of these are from the Armada Games list, but are no longer specifically attributed.

PERMANENT BONUSES

Victory! (+2) – Win the game!
How Anticlimactic (+1) – The game is a draw. Awarded to all players still in the game. The game my be intentionally drawn at any point if all players agree.
Fatality! (+1) – Kill a player or being directly responsible for a player’s death. There is the obvious – controlling the source of the damage (whether it’s direct or creatures). This also includes, although is not limited to alternate methods, such as controlling the Howling Mine that makes the player deck himself, or redirecting lethal damage to someone. (Player A plays Fireball, Player B Swerves the Fireball to Player C and gets the kill.) This can be awarded to the same player more than once per round.

BONUSES (+1)

Bandwagon – Play a spell when there are already at least three other spells on the stack. (This can be awarded to multiple players for the same stack.)
Big Game Hunt – Kill a creature with power 15 or greater.
Block Party – Control a permanent from each set of any block. The blocks are Ice Age, Invasion, Kamigawa, Lorwyn-Shadowmoor, Masques, Mirage, Mirrodin, Odyssey, Onslaught, Ravnica, Shards of Alara, Tempest, Time Spiral, Urza, and Zendikar. (Basic Lands from those sets do not count.)
Busy Boy – Shuffle your library 3 or more different times in one turn.
Copycat – Play a spell that has already been played earlier by an opponent.
Diversity Training – Control 5 or more creatures where no two share any creature types.
Enchanted – Control 5 or more non-aura enchantments.
First Blood – First player to deal damage to an opponent.
Forth Times the Charm – Resolve your General 4 times in a single game from the Command Zone.
Hey, That’s Mine – First player to have control of a permanent stolen by another player (exchanges don’t count).
High Roller – Spend 30 or more mana in a single turn.
I Got This – Eliminate an opponent during another opponents turn.
I Brought Friends – Control 2 or more Planeswalkers.
Indiana Jones – Control 5 ore more non-land artifacts.
Overkill – Deal 20+ more damage to a player than is required to kill them.
Not So Tough – Exile an indestructible permanent.
Ramp it Up – Control 15 or more lands.
Scratch the Paint – Deal damage to an opponent who is still at 40 when everyone else is at 30 or less.
Totally Justified – Counter a noncreature spell with converted mana cost 7 or more.
Tribal Dance – Control 5 or more nontoken creatures that share a single creature type.

SPECIAL BONUSES (+2)

Blackjack – Control two creatures whose total power is exactly 21.
Clash of the Titans – Block a creature of power 10 or more with a creature of power 10 or more.
Cramped Quarters – Control at least 30 non-token, non-land permanents.
Full Grip – Have 20 or more cards in your hand.
Got Your Back – Save an opponent from taking lethal damage. (This can be through prevention or redirection of damage, killing unblocked attackers, the use of life gain, etc.)
I Hate You – Have you general killed, countered, and/or stolen by the same player three or more times.
Making Friends – Attack and deal combat damage to three different players during one combat phase.
Near Death Experience – Be at one life with an empty stack.
Start with the Top – Destroy or Exile a Sensei’s Divining Top you don’t control. This can be awarded to the same player more than once per round.
Voltron – Control a creatures with at least 5 auras and/or equipment attached to it.
What Goes Around – Steal or reanimate a permanent that has been controlled by at least two opponents. (You must control the spell or effect that steals/reanimates it.)

AWESOME BONUSES (+3)

Bases Loaded – Control a Land, Creature, Enchantment, Artifact, and Planeswalker, while having both a Sorcery and an Instant present on the stack

PENALTIES (-2)

Armageddon – Destroy or Remove all lands in play through spells or abilities. (This penalty is in the spirit of the rule, and not the letter of the rule, effects that would reset the board for all or most of the players at the table will be awarded this penalty.) This can be awarded to the same player more than once per round.
But We Just Started – Eliminate a player before they're fifth turn. This can be awarded to the same player more than once per round.
Do Not Pass Go – Take more than two turns in a row. This can be awarded to the same player more than once per round, and applies to each additional turn after the first two.

Last edited by obsidiandice on 2010-May-06 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: EDH Victory Points (Very Long)
AgePosted: 2010-Apr-30 9:01 am 

obsidiandice wrote:
I Brought Friends – Control 2 or more Planeswalkers with different subtypes.

It seems to me that if someone wants to play Jace the Mindsculptor with Jace Beleren on the field to satisfy controlling two planeswalkers they would deserve the bonus- the two different subtypes clause seems unnecessary.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Apr-30 11:23 am 

niheloim wrote:
obsidiandice wrote:
I Brought Friends – Control 2 or more Planeswalkers with different subtypes.

It seems to me that if someone wants to play Jace the Mindsculptor with Jace Beleren on the field to satisfy controlling two planeswalkers they would deserve the bonus- the two different subtypes clause seems unnecessary.

Fair enough. I added the clause more for flavor reasons than balance, and I'll consider the distinction. Your suggestions certainly falls in the "Encourage people to play differently than they normally would" category.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Apr-30 11:34 am 

Doesn't the "superduper type" rule cause both Jace Beleran and Jace the Mind Sculpter to be sacrificed? They both have the card type "Jace", right??!!

Great list obsidiandice!! I will be printing it out and trying it out at the next game night. I'll let you know how it went, and of any changes you could make or additions that myself or another player comes up with.

End of Line

odit wrote:
I normally my techy , controly decks.

This.

DECKS:
Uril's Legendary Tea Party
Jenara: Tell me why I have to be a Powerslave
Karador: Rock out with your cock out
Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed: Cosmic Hearse

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Apr-30 1:29 pm 

yes thats the point. They would both go to the graveyard as a state based action, though you would have technically controlled two planeswalkers.

The point is that very few people would actually play a second walker with the same type to satisfy the conditions for the bonus making the type clause in the bonus mostly irrelevant.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-May-01 8:00 am 

Looks pretty damn fun!
I think I can actually modify Sharuum to try and get as many of these as possible in one game :O

Although I think you should bump I Got This to +2, it isn't as easy to do that as it seems.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-May-03 9:09 pm 

Looks pretty good.

Although Busy Boy looks to me like it'd be better off named "Lack of planning" and given a -1 or -2 rating.

How about something for e.g. having more than 20 cards you own exiled?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-May-05 12:39 am 

big game hunt should be +2 if you use big game hunter to do it

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-May-06 3:14 pm 

From the way I play EDH, "High Roller" should be +1 at most. I mean, when it happens it's usually a combo that gets victory points anyway, right?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-May-06 4:31 pm 

Made a few minor changes based on suggestions. Mostly, though, I'd love to hear back from people who try this list out!

I can test it with my group and see how it works, but I'd love to hear reports from more of the community at large.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-May-10 11:15 am 

I'd suggest changing "Do not pass go" to two or more additional turns. Then again, I'm a fan of Time Stretch.

Offline Profile