Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-13 8:19 am

Post subject: Banlist update?
AgePosted: 2015-Mar-23 8:06 am 

The mothership put the new B&R up today. Are we still synced up with their schedule or is ours coming up this weekend? Just curious.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Banlist update?
AgePosted: 2015-Mar-23 8:07 am 

"Soon."

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-23 8:30 am 

I don't know what will happen but if they do nothing then I will complain about the obviously overpowered cards that have somehow been spared, but if they ban anything I will endlessly complain about them taking away my options.

Current Decks:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-23 8:50 am 

That's a sound plan. I may join you.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-23 10:32 am 

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17560

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-23 10:34 am 

That... Was not what I expected.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-23 10:40 am 
EDH Rules Committee

Completely my fault for the lateness of the update. I'll wait for the pitchforks to come out.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-23 10:45 am 

Spectrar Ghost wrote:
That... Was not what I expected.

To say the least.

Sidisi - Nin

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-23 10:50 am 

Sooo... now all those problematic commanders that were best dealt with by tucking them just can't be dealt with. Gotcha.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-23 10:54 am 

majikal wrote:
Sooo... now all those problematic commanders that were best dealt with by tucking them just can't be dealt with. Gotcha.

This is especially amusing coming on the heels of the removal of "banned as a Commander". Some cards, Derevi especially, are fairly innocuous as one of the 99 but beastly out of the command zone. I'm not looking forward to an uptick in Voltron and combo strategies.

Sidisi - Nin

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-23 11:05 am 

I foresee a shitstorm of bans coming soon to rein in the problem commanders.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-23 11:07 am 

I foresee a shitstorm of bans coming soon to rein in the problem commanders.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-23 11:37 am 

I don't. Remember they discussed this change in depth and decided that all the super lame problem commanders NEEDED to remain unbanned with this change to the rules, because 'we're encouraging diversity', which is why they're making it so that colors that had very limited ways to deal with problematic commanders are going to have an even worse time of doing so.

Just picture Derevi's clawed boot kicking you in the face forever and remember that the RC spent a lot of time thinking about this rules change- if they thought a commander was worth banning, they'd have done so.

But since there's no longer a 'banned as commander' list, they're not likely to ban anything ever again because it has to be hilariously format warping both as a commander but also if it were just one of the '99, and very few cards meet that standard.

Unless we get an Annihilatior 35 legendary Eldrazi in BfZ, I don't expect we'll see any ban list additions for at least four or five years.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-23 11:47 am 

This is an absolutely laughable change. We want to make the format not play so many tutors... I highly doubt that is actually going to happen, now they will just go get something else even more ridiculous to be played alongside the commander that no longer needs to be tutored for. Things like condemn and oblation and chaos warp can now easily just be used to net something from your commander instead of it just dying. Its just going ti change the way the same cards are played. Terminus is still going to be played, hinder and spell crumple are going to possibly take the bigger hits, but will just be used to tuck other threats. Just my thoughts.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-23 12:01 pm 

In addition tucking is easily prevented by playing things like high market, miren, diamond valley, phyrexian alter, ashnod's alter.... any instant speed sacrifice effect or even a bounce effect.... pretty sure those are easily available for every single color. Funny thing that the reason for not banning deadeye was because its easily dealt with due to well timed single target removal or board wipe. Preventing tucking is even easier to prevent for any color, but its a big issue with the format.

Offline Profile