Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-05 9:07 am

Post subject: Re: Why Metalworker should be unbanned.
AgePosted: 2015-Feb-02 7:28 am 

My understanding was WotC wanted the background, and her garments to be toned down, so the focus would be Liliana. But the artist went ahead and finished it with more details as well (as a 2nd copy), as he liked how that one looked.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Feb-02 9:48 am 

Steve Argyle made two versions of the pic - The one you see on the actual card is much less detailed, because the original one would look bad when shrunk down to the card size. Something about the tiny details of her clothes making it look like they were made of rainbow sand :)

In my late teens I was a Spike.
In my 20's I was a Johnny.
Now, I just like to play.
'Active decks' list here.
Currently hiring servants for my palace, made from my own walls of text.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Feb-03 12:38 am 

Steve Argyle was/is? a road warrior touring GPs. Back in the day, he used to sell cool, original playmats and other gear. He made cool images for playmats like that alternate Liliana which he had for sale from him. There is also an alternate everflowing chalice (see link). He even did an original Chandra (labeled as MIXI in the link) which I got as a playmat from him. WOTC shut that stuff down though. I assume he doesn't bother making better images than is on the card anymore.

http://www.artwanted.com/artist.cfm?Art ... D=0&Page=0

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Feb-04 11:46 am 

Matt wrote:
I assume he doesn't bother making better images than is on the card anymore.

Or maybe he just doesn't publicize them as much anymore.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-03 5:19 pm 

So now with Metalworker unbanned... I see why it was banned in the first place.
I don't think it actually needed to be unbanned, a lot of the arguing for the card seem to be similar to the EXACT same reasons that got Sylvan Primordial banned, for comparing it to another card, in that case it was none other than Primeval Titan.

However, in this case Metalworker is being compared to a lot more powerful mana producers which is true, but with having those producers banned, they are justified in comparison- so why was the ban on Metalworker lifted?

Metalworker, as ANY card in the game, has weaknesses where Metalworkers weaknesses are, are also what it's strengths are; being a creature and being an artifact. Where I don't think exact devotion to artifacts is entirely difficult, where as a card like Primal Surge is more comparable to the devotion needed to one idea to seem unfair. Metalworker can function perfectly fine at any point in the game, also in any deck, with a moderate amount of artifacts, most decks do run at least 5 and many up to 10, without being considered heavy in artifacts. It takes about 15 to 18, roughly, to consider a deck to be heavy in artifacts.
12 I've seen is about the average number in a lot of decks, with obvious variance.

The other comparisons that are fair to make are to Mana Crypt and Sol Ring. Undercosted, efficient mana producers that don't seem like they make a large impact on paper, but wholly put players far far ahead to the rest of the board. Again, these cards are banned/limited in appropriate formats due to excessive power.

I feel like it was simply forgotten why Metalworker was banned, so they unbanned it.
Back to the Primordial vs Primeval, we should be banning cards that separate players and when compared to other cards that are banned, should be considered again.

In a vacuum, where bans should be considered, why would you not run cards that pull you so far ahead from your opponents?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-04 4:32 am 

"Banned in the appropriate formats"? Did you miss the memo that Metalworker is banned in exactly zero formats? Also something being restricted in Vintage is hardly a metric for banning in a format where all cards are restricted.

As for your comparison to Sylvan Primordial and Primeval Titan, I don't see anyone rushing to clone or steal Metalworker once it's in play, which was the main problem with those cards.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-18 8:14 am 

Metalworker is too slow and only dumb in Memnarch decks or such. Rofellos was far, far worse and I am glad that little Elf is gone.

Xantcha, Sleeper Agent - cEDH discard/attrition.
Pre-Modern:
A Denying Wind.
Duel Commander:
Nissa, Vastwoord Seer - Ramp ramp ramp into Ugin+Painter's Servant.
Kari Zev, Skyship Raider - Unbridled Aggro

Find me Saturdays at the Wizard's Tower - Ottawa and occasional Mondays at Westboro Legion for Duel Commander.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-19 5:02 am 

What just happened?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-20 12:48 am 

niheloim wrote:
What just happened?

To summarize. A very old thread got necro'd along with most of its arguments on why Metalworker should or shouldn't be banner. I think this about covers it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-20 1:04 am 

I cosplayed that version of Liliana at NYCC '12. One of my first cosplays, and not great, but it was fun, and a little revealing, but that's a blessing when you're surrounded by 30,000 people.
/off topic

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-20 1:14 am 

Ziontific wrote:
I cosplayed that version of Liliana at NYCC '12. One of my first cosplays, and not great, but it was fun, and a little revealing, but that's a blessing when you're surrounded by 30,000 people.
/off topic

Right on! I've seen a few of them as of late. The way I see it, is if you had fun, then you did a great job on all of it. I wish I still had the time in my life to do cosplay and the like, but it makes me happy to know of more MtG cosplayers that have to give an almost full description for most to understand. Power to ya!

/off topic sorry/notsorry

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-20 3:44 am 

haha! Yeah. It's definitely easier to cosplay more popular stuff. I still want to cosplay Chandra someday though, but I need someone to make me the chainmail turtleneck. I'm all about never wearing a wig ever again, so, redhead supremacy.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-22 6:09 pm 

I'm become regretful that Metalworker was unbanned... mostly-mono-brown Deretti decks are really popular locally (probly other places too?), and they're not much fun to play against :(

Offline Profile