Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Aug-17 6:42 pm

Post subject: just have a few questions about the league rule
AgePosted: 2010-Feb-07 4:56 pm 

1. ok here is my problem my group is trying to say this isnt a optional rule that it has to be in effect for all of us to play and i think its bs honestly like for instanse
im using mayel and 6 other people show up with the same general they say that all of us cant play unless 6 of us change our generals out of the 7 ppl who came with the same general.
just was wondering does this rule has to be there like they say or its it a optional house rule? just wondering

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: just have a few questions about the league rule
AgePosted: 2010-Feb-07 6:54 pm 

Dreader wrote:
1. ok here is my problem my group is trying to say this isnt a optional rule that it has to be in effect for all of us to play and i think its bs honestly like for instanse
im using mayel and 6 other people show up with the same general they say that all of us cant play unless 6 of us change our generals out of the 7 ppl who came with the same general.
just was wondering does this rule has to be there like they say or its it a optional house rule? just wondering

The way leagues are generally run, you register your General ahead of time, and nobody else can use that General or even include it in his or her deck. It sounds like that's not what's going on in your group, which can lead to complicated decisions, for example if two of the people who play have only one deck each with Vorosh as the General.

Whether or not the rule is an "optional house rule" is not the point, because it is the rule they are using. You can't make them change just because the rule is optional; that would be "not optional." However, I do recommend you suggest alternatives to them and appeal to their sense of fairness and inclusion, especially considering the time that would be saved either by creating an official league with reserved Generals or abandoning the 1-deck-per-General idea altogether.

Last edited by intreped on 2010-Feb-07 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Feb-07 9:37 pm 

I hate the league play rule so much, and I'm glad it's gone due to EDH increasing massively in popularity.

Can you imagine T2, or any other format for that matter under the league play rule?

"Sorry guys, I'm playing Jund; looks like you have to change all your decks!"

CommanderCast: Community, Strategy, and Technology: http://www.commandercast.com/

Occupy Kokusho

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Feb-08 7:25 am 

The league rule has its place, but this is certainly not it. It only works if you are all going to use the same general week in and week out and the people in the league are a known quantity (no walk-in players). Where I play still use the old open play rules with the "superlegendary" generals, because we liked that system. The official rules don't require that you change generals, but if there are 7 Maeyel players, good luck keeping her on the field with the legend rule in effect!

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Feb-08 11:29 am 
EDH Rules Committee

Yeah, the league rule was more like a "closed group" rule. In my league, we'll give some thoughts to who is playing what generals, but if you don't know (or, in the odd case perhaps don't care), there's a chance you're going to use one that's already in use.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Feb-14 8:25 am 

thank you all well my group is pretty large about 20 to 30 ppl some times so yea that league rule is messing alot of us up

Offline Profile