Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-12 7:38 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: A Healthy Discussion on Tolarian Academy
AgePosted: 2010-Jun-19 12:38 pm 

What made you guys in the RC change your minds so abruptly to decide to actually ban Academy? I'm reading this thread again and I remember just a few months you go you assured us that Academy wasn't going anywhere.

Just curious.

CommanderCast: Community, Strategy, and Technology: http://www.commandercast.com/

Occupy Kokusho

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jun-21 6:18 pm 

Bring back TA. :D

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jun-21 6:31 pm 

Surging Chaos wrote:
What made you guys in the RC change your minds so abruptly to decide to actually ban Academy? I'm reading this thread again and I remember just a few months you go you assured us that Academy wasn't going anywhere.

Just curious.
Eldrazi?

Retired decks:
Scion, of the Ur-Dragon-Dragons, Dragons everywhere
Wort, Boggart Auntie-Goblin Shenanigans
Jor Kadeen, the Prevailer-I will Prevail

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jun-21 8:46 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

Not the Eldrazi specifically.. and it wasn't all that abrupt really ;). We discussed the general philosophy of bannings for several weeks, and in the end the decision to ban TA wasn't about that card specifically.

Cards like Eldrazi are a reflection of R&D's philosophy (as we understand it) that spells costing 7+ can and should be extremely powerful, and spells costing 9+ should be game-ending threats. That's good: it leads to interesting EDH games, as long as it happens in the right time frame. Cards like Academy, Metalworker, etc can move up that timeframe by 4-8 turns... too soon. So, we decided to expand our perspective on banning principle #3 to include accelerants in that class.

G

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jun-22 6:14 am 

Genomancer wrote:
Cards like Eldrazi are a reflection of R&D's philosophy (as we understand it) that spells costing 7+ can and should be extremely powerful, and spells costing 9+ should be game-ending threats... So, we decided to expand our perspective on banning principle #3 to include accelerants in that class.

I agree with this reasoning completely.

It should also be noted that accelerants as powerful as Metalworker, Tolarian Academy, and Rofellos have not been printed in many years and really represent a different era of magic where expensive cards were almost always bad, so there wasn't much to accelerate into except playing a larger number of relatively low mana-cost good cards.

With the apparent success / popularity of Rise of the Eldrazi, we are certain to see "battlecruiser" magic again, so this issue won't be going away anytime soon (unlike fast, permanent acceleratants which are unlikely to ever return).

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10