Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Aug-22 5:48 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Post subject: Re: Why? Gifts Ungiven
AgePosted: 2014-Mar-19 7:11 pm 

niheloim wrote:
I dunno... I haven't seen a whole lot of prismatic being played at the shop... Maybe it wasn't the banned list that killed the format. But I can't see how banning tutors or combo etc is going to be good for edh. Pernicious cards can go, let responsible players take responsibility for playing them.

I'm trying to find it, but I came across a website, quite by accident, talking about a recent attempt to revive the format. It was a pretty basic page, kinda looking like it was back from 10+ years ago regarding design, but the updates were from late 2013 and early 2014. I didn't pay much attention to it other than give it a quick read and a "these extra cards should be banned". It seems like it had a fan base still, but I quickly grew uninterested as it was more of a "lets ban all the cards people find offensive in some manner or looked at my mother funny" kind of attempted format fixes.

I've been looking for that website for the past 10 minutes and having no luck, though...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-19 8:11 pm 

I actually dislike the idea of banning tutors, combos, and other nefarious cards. At university I play with a group of people who are against combo victories in multiplayer, and I respect their choice but the amount of times I've witnessed land fetch circle jerks is uncountable. Literally most multiplayer games with that group result in Turn 1 through Turn 5 resolving as many kodama's reach, cultivates, etc as possible. Its the way it is because Gx ramp tends to be a dominant strategy when you don't have to worry about interacting with your opponent's strategy. Gathering 12 lands by turn 7 looks awful silly when your opponent goes off that same turn anyways, or someone wipes the lands though. I guess I like having an emergency valve for Gx, too many land fetch circles? armageddon or combo out before they can use their mana.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-20 1:39 am 

We house banned black tutors (as they are the most commonly used and the most offensive ones to us) and its been great ever since. We left the specific tutors that only get say and instant or land because they are less likely to ruin the game in our playgroup. We don't play cut throat combo so the few tutors still available just help thematic decks actually run, like my token deck with enchantments stacked to the brim, sometimes that deck just stalls out, having a tutor to find flying enabling enchantment is crucial sometimes. If any of the decks ran T&N every single game, that would have been banned too, but its only present in two decks, one is a dragon deck and another is an elemental deck. Both are tribal and both just use them to get two creatures, usually one creature is a mull drifter or dragon mage to fill a hand, the other is usually a value creature like magmatic force or dragon broodmother. This works well as nobody is being owned by stupid combo but decks with harsher themes or more restrcitions (such as the elemental deck being almost entirely instant and sorcery-less) can still run nicely. If your group is similar this will probably work for you, it makes our games less similar each time, they are more fun as a result and cutting tutors allows more spaces for cool thematic cards.

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11