Login | Register


All times are UTC - 7 hours


It is currently 2019-Dec-10 1:43 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Banning Braids, Cabal Minion
AgePosted: 2009-Jun-23 2:50 pm 

Joined: 2009-Jun-23 2:32 pm
Age: Drake
Wee


Last edited by fattyluvboat on 2018-Oct-18 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jun-23 3:02 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2008-Aug-23 10:03 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: The Netherlands - Hoorn
I just can't stop to notice that this is your very first post here, and somehow for that reason it's difficult for me to take this post serieus.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jun-23 3:16 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2008-May-29 8:11 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Michigan
Black Braids is an amazingly unfun card to play against, and also very powerful.

I feel bad that MBC is totally over for you now. I mean, if there were other black Legendary creatures in this game, then I wouldn't feel so bad. However, since Braids is the only mono-black general...

_________________
EDH Decks:
Wort, the Raidmother - Conspire!
Mayael the Anima - Fatties!
Hazezon Tamar - Tokens!
Nicol Bolas - Creatureless!
Kresh, the Bloodbraided - Red Zone Aggression!
Teneb, the Harvester - Graveyard!
Sharuum the Hegemon - Artifacts!
Experiment Kraj - +1/+1 counters!
Jaya Ballard, Task Mage - Big Red!
Oros, the Avenger - Stuff!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jun-23 3:18 pm 

Joined: 2008-Sep-21 11:51 am
Age: Elder Dragon
lol troll, fix your pic


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jun-23 3:18 pm 

Joined: 2008-Jun-20 7:38 am
Age: Elder Dragon
If you're a big fan of logic, I'm the King of England.

Braids has been banned as a general because she's not fun for the rest of the table, ever. There is absolutely no fun way to build a Braids deck. The whole point of the deck is lock out everyone from playing spells simultaneously.

You point out Swords to Plowshares when black is the absolute king of cheap single target creature removal. Terror, Dark Banishing, Engineered Plague, Deathmark, etc. The list goes on and on. Your "omg Braids is fair you can just kill it" argument holds no water.

You're wrong. Green CAN'T tutor for the pieces it needs to win with Rofellos quickly. There is no artifact tutor in green and there's no creature in mono green (which is all green can tutor for reliably) that allows Rofellos to generate infinite mana. Rofellos can play big dumb fat creatures that he tutored for. You can kill them with 90% of black removal without breaking a sweat.

Hokori keeps you from untapping and can be played around. It's also more difficult to break the symmetry because it requires white to have artifact mana (which nearly everyone plays anyway), where Braids requires a token producer (which a significantly smaller percentage of players run).

Crucible was unbanned because it's a card that enables a lot of random fun things as well as providing recovery from land destruction abilities. Considering a major selling point of the format is playing big spells that you can't play anywhere else, I can totally agree with the unbanning of Crucible. Also, using Crucible as an argument for leaving Braids unbanned as a general is absolutely terrible. Braids can run Crucible and do the exact same thing you're proposing, except it's more likely that the Braids player will have it because of black tutors and the fact that it's a guaranteed auto-include for them. It's also claiming a single card answer is good enough to make a deck's general worthless, and this is most definitely not the case because you have to get the Crucible to even break even on the exchange.

You're not giving any evidence for Braids' fragility in multiplayer, just your own unsupported arguments. Braids would be easily dealt with if it didn't almost always force people to sacrifice lands every turn. Braids affects every player equally, I have no idea where you got the idea it's that much harder to lock out multiple people.

Your rant looks like exactly what you called it, a rant. And an unfounded one at that.

_________________
Current Generals:
Rafiq, Sharuum, Nekusar, Kresh, Mayael, Kaalia, Maelstrom Wanderer, Ghave, Ruhan, Mimeoplasm, Genju of the Realm, Phelddagrif, Derevi, Oloro, Jenara, Karrthus, Marath, Tariel, Riku, Karador, Numot, Damia, Sliver Overlord, Karn, Silver Golem


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jun-23 3:19 pm 

Joined: 2009-Jun-23 2:32 pm
Age: Drake
Poesjuh wrote:
I just can't stop to notice that this is your very first post here, and somehow for that reason it's difficult for me to take this post serieus.


Im being very serious here. Why on earth does it matter if it is my first post or not? I could use Maga, Traitor to Mortals but it isn't as satisfying as trying to control the board with Braids. Also, the art for Braids is probably the most bad ass art in all of Magic IMO.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jun-23 3:39 pm 

Joined: 2009-Jun-23 2:32 pm
Age: Drake
Edit why


Last edited by fattyluvboat on 2018-Oct-18 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jun-23 3:42 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

Joined: 2006-May-18 5:21 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
fattyluvboat wrote:
You sound like you have been murdered by Braids too many times. So um tell me, what is the definition of "fun"?


When all players at the table get to have a good time.

fattyluvboat wrote:
To me, fun is trying to control the board by blowing up permanents to prevent my opponents from playing cards.


Have you considered Vintage?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jun-23 3:42 pm 

Joined: 2009-Jun-23 2:32 pm
Age: Drake
Another thing about Braids is that if you don't end up controlling the game in the beginning, it becomes more or less hopeless in the late game to get a lock. The only way you can catch up again to trying to destroy everyones lands and getting back in position is Death Cloud from what I understand. I really do not see what the big fuss is about banning Braids. Is everyone just a wuss?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jun-23 3:45 pm 
EDH Rules Committee
User avatar

Joined: 2007-Jan-05 12:58 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Thanks for joining the EDH Elder Dragon Highlander Online Community! :) I hope that you have a really good time chilling out and being safe here!

'Post early and post often,' LoL!!

Image

Edit: p.s. can you please post pics of your mustache thanks in advance!!!

_________________
Blog - Twitter


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jun-23 3:47 pm 

Joined: 2009-Jun-23 2:32 pm
Age: Drake
papa_funk wrote:
fattyluvboat wrote:
You sound like you have been murdered by Braids too many times. So um tell me, what is the definition of "fun"?


When all players at the table get to have a good time.

fattyluvboat wrote:
To me, fun is trying to control the board by blowing up permanents to prevent my opponents from playing cards.


Have you considered Vintage?


No sorry I do not have 30 million bajillion dollars to play Vintage. I would rather invest a little bit of money and cards with a deck I love and play casually in a format that I find fun. I don't find losing on turn 0 to be very exciting. Also, people that I play with don't complain about Braids or refuse to play when they see that it is my general. They usually give me a little bit of crap jokingly, shuffle up and then start playing. 9 times out of 10 its a good time, unless someone spills soda or drops pizza on someones cards or something.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jun-23 3:56 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

Joined: 2006-May-18 5:21 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
fattyluvboat wrote:
To me, fun is trying to control the board by blowing up permanents to prevent my opponents from playing cards.

fattyluvboat wrote:
I don't find losing on turn 0 to be very exciting.


Summarizing quite elegantly why Braids got the axe.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jun-23 4:07 pm 

Joined: 2008-Jun-20 7:38 am
Age: Elder Dragon
fattyluvboat wrote:
You sound like you have been murdered by Braids too many times. So um tell me, what is the definition of "fun"? To me, fun is trying to control the board by blowing up permanents to prevent my opponents from playing cards. For some people its playing aggro, or controlling the game with counterspells etc. Its part of the game, deal with it. Some people I have played find it fun to play against Braids because its a decent challenge in comparison to other little kids playing with unfocused Cromat 5 color decks or the 3 color dragons. Its all a matter of perspective.
This may be a rant yes, but I have legitimate points after playing this deck over and over and over for almost a year now. Crucible can/will get recurred over and over to prevent a Braids lock. Even if you play the first turn Sol Ring, second turn Braids SOMEONE is going to have an answer in multiplayer. It never fails. So what if black has alot of removal, what does that have to do with Braids getting RFG'd after you play her. Braids is a HUGE target even if you make people sac lands, and she will be killed. It never fails.
Rofellos can't tutor for artifacts, however it can get Kamahl, Fist of Krosa or whatever arbitrarily gigantic creature and wreck everyone pretty quickly.
Im not saying Hokori is on the same power level as Braids, but Hokori is still annoying. It prevents people from playing their cards in the same way Braids does. Braids is not broken nor is it "unfun" as you claim to every single player on earth that plays MTG.
Anyways we could go on and on and on with this, but after playing with Braids and against Braids it .


You sound like a disgruntled Vintage player who decided to come "pwn n00bs" playing something other a combo deck. I've played against Braids several times, and every game has quickly degenerated into a "okay we have to kill the Braids player now so the rest of us can play Magic." If that's what I wanted to do with my time I'd go play Vintage.

You don't have legitimate points. That's exactly why everyone's calling you a moron either directly or indirectly. She's not broken to every player on earth, but the majority of the people who choose to play this format find her unfun, or the card wouldn't have been banned.

P.S. - The comment about removal was in response to your BS excuses about Rofellos being so much worse than Braids.

_________________
Current Generals:
Rafiq, Sharuum, Nekusar, Kresh, Mayael, Kaalia, Maelstrom Wanderer, Ghave, Ruhan, Mimeoplasm, Genju of the Realm, Phelddagrif, Derevi, Oloro, Jenara, Karrthus, Marath, Tariel, Riku, Karador, Numot, Damia, Sliver Overlord, Karn, Silver Golem


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jun-23 4:08 pm 

Joined: 2009-Jun-23 2:32 pm
Age: Drake
papa_funk wrote:
fattyluvboat wrote:
To me, fun is trying to control the board by blowing up permanents to prevent my opponents from playing cards.

fattyluvboat wrote:
I don't find losing on turn 0 to be very exciting.


Summarizing quite elegantly why Braids got the axe.


I can see how this is analogous, but saying Braids is just as unfun as losing on turn 0 is a little far fetched. Braids is easily disruptable, especially when playing with a few other people. Quite frankly, if they can't kill Braids then their deck sucks pretty bad.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jun-23 4:15 pm 

Joined: 2009-Jun-23 2:32 pm
Age: Drake
Artos wrote:
fattyluvboat wrote:
You sound like you have been murdered by Braids too many times. So um tell me, what is the definition of "fun"? To me, fun is trying to control the board by blowing up permanents to prevent my opponents from playing cards. For some people its playing aggro, or controlling the game with counterspells etc. Its part of the game, deal with it. Some people I have played find it fun to play against Braids because its a decent challenge in comparison to other little kids playing with unfocused Cromat 5 color decks or the 3 color dragons. Its all a matter of perspective.
This may be a rant yes, but I have legitimate points after playing this deck over and over and over for almost a year now. Crucible can/will get recurred over and over to prevent a Braids lock. Even if you play the first turn Sol Ring, second turn Braids SOMEONE is going to have an answer in multiplayer. It never fails. So what if black has alot of removal, what does that have to do with Braids getting RFG'd after you play her. Braids is a HUGE target even if you make people sac lands, and she will be killed. It never fails.
Rofellos can't tutor for artifacts, however it can get Kamahl, Fist of Krosa or whatever arbitrarily gigantic creature and wreck everyone pretty quickly.
Im not saying Hokori is on the same power level as Braids, but Hokori is still annoying. It prevents people from playing their cards in the same way Braids does. Braids is not broken nor is it "unfun" as you claim to every single player on earth that plays MTG.
Anyways we could go on and on and on with this, but after playing with Braids and against Braids it .


You sound like a disgruntled Vintage player who decided to come "pwn n00bs" playing something other a combo deck. I've played against Braids several times, and every game has quickly degenerated into a "okay we have to kill the Braids player now so the rest of us can play Magic." If that's what I wanted to do with my time I'd go play Vintage.

You don't have legitimate points. That's exactly why everyone's calling you a moron either directly or indirectly. She's not broken to every player on earth, but the majority of the people who choose to play this format find her unfun, or the card wouldn't have been banned.

P.S. - The comment about removal was in response to your BS excuses about Rofellos being so much worse than Braids.


Haha I have never played Vintage, and never plan on doing so. I can't stand combo whatsoever. From my point of view you seem like a little kid who has been owned too many times from Braids who is constantly needing to be defensive because you can't make a decent deck. Are you sure you even play EDH? I don't play to own noobs or whatever, I play to have fun. I don't even give a crap if I win or not, I just love the feeling of playing Braids or something like Myojin of Night's reach and seeing the expression on everyones face. Call it pissing everyone off (jokingly). Its priceless everytime, if thats the kind of player I am then oh well. Also, if you seriously think Rofellos isn't broken in EDH than you obviously don't play Magic.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], Wolfsbane706 and 31 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: