Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-08 12:18 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Should we ban Fast Fetchlands?
AgePosted: 2016-Aug-30 1:54 pm 

Apparently, Canadians (or some subset of Canadians) call them snap lands. :shock:

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Aug-30 2:08 pm 

specter404 wrote:
Apparently, Canadians (or some subset of Canadians) call them snap lands. :shock:

Well jeeze, buddy! Leave it up to the Canadians to come up with some crazy ass name for the fetches. Is it spelled using the Canadian alphabet? Any light you could shed on this situation would be real helpful in understanding the alien culture of our neighbors to the North, guy.

Seriously though, banning the cycle of lands like Polluted Delta would be silly. They don't meet the criteria set out for banning and other than people not liking the inclusion of off-colored fetches for flavor reasons, they're harmless.

Gath Immortal wrote:
Twenty Kavus and a Dream is not a legacy deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Aug-30 3:04 pm 

specter404 wrote:

They can call it whatever they want, so long as I don't have to read another one of their damned articles about how great Canadian Highlander is.

Bladewing the Risen - MTG: Blood Dragon - OST by Powerglove
Dosan the Falling Leaf - Mono-Green Accelerator
Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter - Feed it to Vish
Toshiro Umezawa - Budget Creatureless
Prossh, Skyraider of Kher - Combo Jund
Marath, Will of the Wild - Beast-Mode Tribal
Scion of the Ur-Dragon - Mortal Combat Dredge
Kamahl & Jeska - Tag Team Voltron

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Aug-30 5:16 pm 

Off color fetches are ugly. Can color identity be expanded to include the background of the text?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Aug-30 5:54 pm 

I just now understood reading this thread where the namen 'Battle lands' comes from, it never made sense to me before :| ... still don't like the name, it doesn't say anything about how the lands work. Until my dying breath, I call them tango lands!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Aug-30 6:29 pm 

Zirilan of the Claw wrote:
specter404 wrote:

They can call it whatever they want, so long as I don't have to read another one of their damned articles about how great Canadian Highlander is.

Australian 7 point highlander is better anyway :P
Nigerian Prince wrote:
I just now understood reading this thread where the namen 'Battle lands' comes from, it never made sense to me before :| ... still don't like the name, it doesn't say anything about how the lands work. Until my dying breath, I call them tango lands!

I always likes santa lands myself, because you check twice.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Aug-30 9:21 pm 

RaiRai wrote:
Basically fast fetchlands are the ones you pay 1 or 2 life to search for a land then put into play

First, no fetch lands have you pay two life. Second, those are called fetch lands. Nothing before them. Just fetch lands. Now, there are slow fetch lands, but there's isn't a thing called "fast fetch lands," unless you're making it up.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Aug-30 11:02 pm 

RaiRai wrote:
I have no idea

Amen.

I dance all night and I sleep all day

3 Steps Ahead - I'm A Gabber

Automatically add card tags to the card names in any text:
http://manabase.com/autocard.php

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Aug-30 11:44 pm 

MatthewB wrote:
Off color fetches are ugly. Can color identity be expanded to include the background of the text?

There is a significantly simpler solution to this. Don't play them.

Gath Immortal wrote:
Twenty Kavus and a Dream is not a legacy deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Aug-30 11:57 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

MatthewB wrote:

It's been a topic of discussion before. Said topic has made some people colicky . It's a minor thing, so it's not worth a great deal of effort. We've said for a long tim that if we could come up with a clean, crisp rule (which doesn't name cards or card types) that doesn't nerf other cards with land words, we'd consider it. In my local group, we've just agreed to not play the off-color ones. The RC pretty much does the same.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Sep-07 7:34 am 

MatthewB wrote:

A format that bans for aesthetics could be interesting. I don't think EDH should be that format, but I'm not against there being a format that is.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Sep-09 10:42 am 

Sheldon wrote:
MatthewB wrote:

It's been a topic of discussion before. Said topic has made some people colicky . It's a minor thing, so it's not worth a great deal of effort. We've said for a long tim that if we could come up with a clean, crisp rule (which doesn't name cards or card types) that doesn't nerf other cards with land words, we'd consider it. In my local group, we've just agreed to not play the off-color ones. The RC pretty much does the same.

hmmm... crisp huh?

A deck may not include lands that search for lands of a type that produce mana outside of the commander's CI.

Doesnt handle urborg, and might need some additional words for the comp rules... but frick, who cares about the comp rules wording.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Sep-09 11:13 am 

niheloim wrote:
Sheldon wrote:
MatthewB wrote:

hmmm... crisp huh?

A deck may not include lands that search for lands of a type that produce mana outside of the commander's CI.

Doesnt handle urborg, and might need some additional words for the comp rules... but frick, who cares about the comp rules wording.
This doesn't sound right at all... This pounds like Polluted Delta can't be in a UB deck because it can search for Hallowed Fountain.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Sep-09 11:54 am 

Sheldon wrote:
We've said for a long tim(e) that if we could come up with a clean, crisp rule (which doesn't name cards or card types) that doesn't nerf other cards with land words, we'd consider it.
niheloim wrote:

There's a problem here.

And while a reasonable attempt, i think that definitely does not come across as crisp or clean. It's a little confusing.

Also, Terramorphic Expanse can search for any of the 5 'colors' of lands. So if you're not playing 5c... Same with Myriad Landscape. I mean, Expanse effectively says "search for a Plains Island Swamp Mountain or Forest". 5c lands basically say "add W, U, R, B or G". CI is already a mess if you ask me, and i don't really think this rule is that close to helping.

The problem with that rule idea, to me, is that you have to calculate what the card can do, rather than just what it says. Not that it's hard to figure out, just that it's wonky and (i think) would be the single rule that requires you do so.

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
This (s)ounds like Polluted Delta can't be in a UB deck because it can search for Hallowed Fountain.

While i just disagreed with this rule above, i could tell you are supposed to interpret that as Delta can be in a UB deck because it only searches for Islands and Swamps which are UB identities. As opposed to playing Strand which says Plains, which is white.

edit:
MatthewB wrote:

I know this was a week and a half ago but it's still on this page, so;

This is terrible, it doesn't even include all fetchlands (Panoramas), which makes it sloppy and unprofessional. It also lets you play Bad River from Mirage, unless you also add a bunch of ugly word salad to include it's digital appearance in Vintage Masters. So with this rule can i play Flood Plain from Mirage, but not from DD Venser?

No other rule in the game references how a card looks. Very few cards in the game reference anything similar. City in a Bottle for expansion? Apocalypse Chime? Not a good path to start down.

Do the color rules apply to revised Serendib Efreet? Blue Hurricane? They are okay as long as they have one printing with a correct color? I guess as misprints these are obviously okay, but still.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Sep-11 4:35 am 

Altrusim Goggles wrote:
A format that bans for aesthetics could be interesting. I don't think EDH should be that format, but I'm not against there being a format that is.

EDH kinda already IS that format. Granted things don't go on the banned list because of aesthetics, but the CI rules are pretty much an aesthetic choice. We are already restricted as to what we can include in our decks by what color things we can include, and that's not a balance issue or a gameplay issue - it's simply a "wouldn't it be cool if...".

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next