Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-11 3:32 am

Post subject: Leave Chaos Orb alone!
AgePosted: 2015-Mar-25 9:18 am 

I think Chaos Orb should be unbanned.

Blahblahblah Regular magic rules don't handle dexterity cards whatever. Don't care. Chaos Orb is fun! If it's allowed in any format, it should be allowed in Commander. I don't believe it's banned because of power levels (if so, someone needs to StP the Evil Twin and recast the RC) so why NOT have Chaos Orb? The card clearly states it's requirements and Gatherer has enough info to play it correctly. I've played with Chaos Orb in Commander and the world didn't implode or explode in any way. Everyone had a good time and laughed at it's inclusion.

Yes, I played back in the day when people would put a penny in the sleeve with Chaos Orb to get a better flip and slide. People would also put magnets in their sleeves and play on a magnetic board. When an Orb was dropped they would pick up their "play mat" and hold it vertically. Shenanigans like that are really not needed with Orb being 1 in 99.

In the spirit of keeping the Commander ban list short, I say FLIP THEM ORBS!

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Leave Chaos Orb alone!
AgePosted: 2015-Mar-25 9:26 am 

This is one change I can get behind, random BS is fine with me, Chaos Orb is far less offensive than... I'd say about 50% of all the cards I see regularly played.

We need a clear set of objective rules so that everybody always knows what to expect, and how to prepare for it. As of now, I think I spend more time arguing with players about the format than I do playing fun and interactive games of Commander. And last time I read, this was not the format's purpose.

QFT

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-25 9:30 am 

I am all for this, I had it in my Commander Cube and it was excellent. I played it at the LGS and people were fine with it too, but the theme of that deck was 'My Balls On Yo Face' and every non land card was a sphere of some sort, so it was gimped.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-25 9:40 am 
EDH Rules Committee

Three reasons:

1) Making exceptions to the Vintage banlist is not worth the gain. Yes, we did it with Shaharazad for a while. It was a bad idea.

2) We strive to be inclusive. Physical dexterity cards are not inclusive and endorsing them is not a message we want to send.

3) We had enough people posting on here demanding rulings on how wishes work. I don't want to be the one who has to set parameters on Chaos Orb and answer all the insane questions that come down the line.

If your playgroup wants to use the card, sounds like a great plan.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-25 9:44 am 

Manual dexterity cards are normally disallowed for a simple reason - they are not accessible to all players. By this I don't mean those players cannot find them, but that they are physically incapable of using them, or their ability to use them is physically restricted.

Because of this, Chaos Orb cannot and should not come off the banned list. I see no reason whatsoever you cannot house-rule it in with your able-bodied friends, or even with those that aren't but don't care, but to allow it in general would be a huge mistake.

Imagine if there was a card that could only (for whatever reason that I'd rather not contemplate) be used effectively by men. Do you think it would be acceptable? I think most rational human beings can see that it would not. So it is with Chaos Orb & friends.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-25 10:19 am 

What papa_funk said.

For what it is worth, I play Chaos Orb in one of my decks. I just accept that doing so is by the largesse of the people I'm playing with. I carry around a 101th card to swap in if I come across somebody who isn't ok with the Chorb. I haven't had to make that swap yet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-25 11:20 am 

This wasn't a serious thread, it was the first in a long running Scatteredsun Satire posts. At least I think so, please keep the flow.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-25 12:05 pm 

papa_funk wrote:
2) We strive to be inclusive. Physical dexterity cards are not inclusive and endorsing them is not a message we want to send.

I'm all for your reasons except for this one. Tossing a card is no more restrictive than needing to read your cards or have the mental facilities to play magic.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-25 12:14 pm 

Jivanmukta wrote:
I'm all for your reasons except for this one. Tossing a card is no more restrictive than needing to read your cards or have the mental facilities to play magic.

I have seen a blind person play magic before, and chaos orb would be harder for that person to play with than a person with sight. (thus being inherently unfair) That being said, I always liked chaos orb and it wouldn't be bad to have it casually legal kinda like what happened with relentless rats, where it technically isn't legal, but the RC basically house-ruled it to make it legal.

Retired:
Krenko, Mob Boss (Goblins)
Zedruu the Christmas Goat (group hug)
Ramses Overdark (Assassin Deck)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-25 12:19 pm 

Jivanmukta wrote:

Actually, it is. Bruticus mentioned blind players, and I have played with people who possessed the mental capacity to play, but had physical issues that would make dexterity cards inherently unfair.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-25 12:20 pm 

What happened to relentless rats? Why wouldn't it technically be legal?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-25 12:21 pm 

MrCool wrote:
What happened to relentless rats? Why wouldn't it technically be legal?

Gatherer ruling used to say that it was restricted to 1 copy in a highlander format. I believe that has now been removed.

EDIT: Confirmed. It no longer says that.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-25 12:27 pm 

Oh I see.
On topic: I was disappointed to find out that I couldn't play with falling star when I was making my first deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-25 1:36 pm 

Ask your group if they're cool with it. They probably will be.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-25 2:57 pm 

Back in 94 I was at an event and the opponent was a paraplegic, they had the judge toss the orb all over my lands. The judge was ruthless too, not sure if they were a judge or a store clerk back then but I was destroyed. Lost to Serra Angel beatdow.

Offline Profile