Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Apr-23 8:51 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rules Committee Should Disband
AgePosted: 2015-Mar-25 11:26 am 

[Rule 1.]

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-25 11:28 am 

HappyPrimes wrote:
Imagine you're a blonde haired person who plays chess. Then one day, a black haired person, a brown haired person, and a red haired person on the internet all arbitrarily decided that blonde haired people aren't allowed to use bishops in chess anymore, and everyone in the world just decides to go along with it.

That's what happened, a group of people who have absolutely no right or place to tell anyone how to play a game just up and changed to rules to benefit some people at the expense of others. And the people who got screwed are just told to sit down and shut up because the game wasn't really meant for them in the first place.

I have no idea what the first half of this has to do with anything. As for the rest, the RC invented, popularized, and maintain the damn format. Of course they have a right to determine how it works. No one complains that WotC should disband because they make dumb moves. It's their goddamn game. Why is the RC somehow different in the format they invented?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-25 11:35 am 

Tim Proctor wrote:
Fuck you dude, how about them apples? You are everything that is wrong with the world, light yourself on fire with your collection.

I think this would be a "two wrongs don't make a right" situation. However, spectrar is 100% correct. It IS in fact the RC's place to make rules for EDH because you wouldn't be playing EDH at all if it weren't for them. And the whole bit about discrimination and favoring one player over another is plain wrong.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-25 11:36 am 

Joz wrote:
I should be on the RC. That'd solve a lot of problems with terrible rules changes and banning/non-bannings of certain cards.

You might find me among the ranks of the seething rabblers.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-25 11:49 am 

I just want to say thank you everyone for this thread. I haven't been so entertained about EDH banter in a long time.

But seriously, long live the RC.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-25 12:06 pm 

HappyPrimes wrote:
tgambitg wrote:
I see this type of comment a LOT right now, and what is never explained is WHY.

Can you articulate exactly why you're so upset?

Imagine you're a blonde haired person who plays chess. Then one day, a black haired person, a brown haired person, and a red haired person on the internet all arbitrarily decided that blonde haired people aren't allowed to use bishops in chess anymore, and everyone in the world just decides to go along with it.

That's what happened, a group of people who have absolutely no right or place to tell anyone how to play a game just up and changed to rules to benefit some people at the expense of others. And the people who got screwed are just told to sit down and shut up because the game wasn't really meant for them in the first place.

I'm sick of it and its fucking infuriating. I'm not even a super competitive player, and I'm told I'M the problem with EDH because I think degenerate commanders, which see play in both casual and competitive, should have answers and counterplay that doesn't involve adding 20 more goddamn cards to the already too long ban list. Somehow I'm the problem when its not "fair" that tuck is primarily found in two colors, when the entire point of the color pie existing is so that mechanics aren't ubiquitous throughout all the colors.

At least if WotC were in charge of EDH and they made the same boneheaded decision its not that big a deal. WotC has made a ton of boneheaded moves in the past, and they're sure to make more in the future. At the very least they have some authority as opposed to the RC which is some high level judge, whom I have no respect for, and a bunch of nobodies. Even if WotC doesn't take control of the format, if the option were keeping the current RC in power versus never having another rules update because there's no longer a RC I would honestly choose the latter.

Nah, I think I'm just gonna go light my collection of fire or something. Apparently I'm everything thats wrong with EDH because I tucked some kid's Derevi one time to stop them from taking a dump on the rest of the game. The RC should disband, and they can get bent.

Okay man, you really need to take a deep breath and relax. The change isn't that huge. It's restoring originally intended function to the Commanders.

As far as random people deciding the fate of the format, that's just not true. The RC came up with the format, so they could come up tomorrow and say that the only commander allowed is Isamaru, Hound of Kondaand they would have every right. It's also your right to quit playing Commander if that happens. The situation is more like someone playing Monopoly and then Hasbro coming in and saying the house rule of "tax monies go to Free Parking" is now in the official rules. Their game, their rules.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-25 12:07 pm 

[Rule 4.]

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-25 12:27 pm 

[Rule 1.]

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-25 12:28 pm 

Christ, would you guys chill out? You realize you're hurling pedantic insults at each other over a card game?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-25 1:08 pm 

He just compared Commander players to League of Legends players, snap. Who would have thought two hugely popular game with players existing over a broad spectrum could be compared to each other in an insulting way. Reminds me of the Star Trek Vs. Star Wars issue.

To get back to the point, if there is one in this thread, it is fine to disagree with the change, or any change for that matter. If that disagreement leads to anything close to the level of rage that this thread has turned into, however, you should step back and take a look at that rage. It has no place, no purpose, no reason, and no justification. There is honestly something wrong with the priorities, attitudes, and mindsets that generate it.

Oh, and tally me for a vote of no confidence for the Joz for RC campaign. :facepalm:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-25 1:14 pm 

[Rule 4.]

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-25 1:30 pm 

[Rule 4.]

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-25 1:41 pm 

[Rule 4.]

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-25 1:51 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

Let's please remember to be civil with each other, even when we disagree.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-25 1:53 pm 

As a blonde haired person who plays chess, I am insulted by this notion that the elimination of the tuck loophole is even remotely comparable to depriving me of bishops.

If we want to compare this to chess using an even remotely accurate example, it would be like en passant. Interestingly, the 2-space move of pawns was an amendment to the game, which left the unintended tactic of pawns being able to become passed by moving 2 spaces past a pawn on an adjacent file. The en passant rule was implemented to close that loophole and make the mechanics of the game as close as possible to the original intention.

This rule change is mostly the same in principle. However, this decision is an even better one, as this rule contrasts en passant by actually making the rules less complex. It's no longer "the rules work this way, except when that happens". It's now just the first part.

Not to mention that the existence of the tuck loophole really didn't add anything to the format. Before the change, tuck was used for three things:
1. The same things that it does now (aka not the other two)
2. Get rid of innocuous generals
3. Get rid of problematic generals

And ironically enough, #2 tends to happen a lot as a casualty of accomplishing #3 (usually Hallowed Burial or Terminus). Not to mention that the old tuck rule also gimped a lot of cards like Proteus Staff and Warp World.

Meanwhile with tuck the way it is, tuck cards still do all the "normal" tuck stuff normally, but at the same time no longer tuck innocuous generals. And instead of fighting antisocial generals with more antisocial behavior (that leads to non-antisocial general pilots to add more tutors to the deck and therefore homogenize it), players will instead be encouraged to actually discuss the problem with the problematic player. Because there is a fun fact: there is no general that is so powerful that other competitive decks MUST resort to tucking it to even have a chance. Competitive decks can still beat other competitive decks, which means the only "hurt" players are those trying to combat a general-centric competitive deck with a casual deck.... Which is already a recipe for disaster for a multitude of other reasons.

III Omnath, Locus of Mana III Thada Adel, Acquisitor III Geth, Lord of the Vault III Eight-and-a-Half-Tails III Zo-Zu the Punisher III BruseIkra III Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis III Kess, Dissident Mage, III AkriSilas III Grenzo, Havoc Raiser III Ghalta, Primal Hunger III Ambassador Laquatus III Anax and Cymede III Sidisi, Brood Tyrant III Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest III Ghave, Guru of Spores III Zurgo Helmsmasher III Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder III

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next