Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2017-Aug-19 11:30 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Rules Committee Should Disband
AgePosted: 2015-Mar-23 11:27 pm 

This thread is rather simple. I am requesting that the rules committee disband and turn the format over to WOTC unless the the new tuck rules are reversed. These new rules are unhealthy for the format as they make already broken commanders more egregious (derevi, maelstrom wanderer, purphoros); Weaken red as a color (chaos warp,warp world); and encourage stax/land destruction to essentially prevent people from playing their commander over and over.

Please reply to this thread (particularly if you support my thoughts) with your opinion.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Rules Committee Should Disband
AgePosted: 2015-Mar-24 12:17 am 

This is ridiculous. The sky is not falling. This may lead to the banning of 1-2 cards, but nothing more severe than that.

If your playgroup only held itself in check because of the threat of Hinder, there are more serious problems that need to be addressed than the existence of the RC.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-24 12:27 am 

Te5486a wrote:
This thread is rather simple. I am requesting that the rules committee disband and turn the format over to WOTC unless the the new tuck rules are reversed.

1) Butthurt much?
2) Why do you think Wizards wouldn't have made this same change?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-24 12:34 am 

There are WOTC people involved with/on the RC. It isn't as grass roots as it appears to be. The recent changes to the format scream more of WOTC influence for MTGO purposes than anything. WOTC printed spell crumple 'for us' and then printed generals like Prosh that demand tuck to be answered 'for us'. That is what they bring to the table.

What do you really think WOTC control is going to do to make it better? All WOTC is doing is squeezing every last dime out of this format they can. Them controlling it just furthers that goal. The pessimist in me sees the RC as fame whores like Billy Ray that doesn't care how awful his baby is as long as he's still getting attention. The optimist in me sees the RC as not having signed up for what this has become and wanting to hasten its demise so they can reclaim it, quietly this time, with the least amount of damage done.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-24 12:45 am 

Te5486a wrote:
Please reply to this thread (particularly if you support my thoughts) with your opinion.

My opinion is that you're nuts. Leaving aside the question of whether tuck is good or bad for the format (I'm of the opinion that it's neutral-to-bad), thinking that the commity that created, shepherded, and made popular the entire format will step aside because someone who's never bothered to sign up before now is unhappy is absurd.

If the RC feels they made a mistake in the future they can reverse course. It's been done before, it will happen again. It's not a democracy. Having been part of a similar group for another game, I can say there are always people who cry foul when their sacred cows are disturbed. You just need to do what you feel is best and move on. Sometimes you're wrong, and that's part of being human. You fix it and continue to do the best job you can.

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-24 1:16 am 

This new rules screws A LOT of cards that I play, it's pretty reckless that they would do this. I'm not sure about the disbanding part but they should definitely take this back. I mean who are we catering to here? 10 year olds? Kitchen table players? It's a pretty BETA move, most of the people who play this game know the risks of running abusive cards/generals. You're gonna get your dude tucked or you're gonna get hated out. It's pretty simple. This rule takes away one of the things I thought was really awesome and special about commander. What's next, cards can't be exiled and just go to graveyard? If you really can't deal with a tucked general you need to build a better deck, play a different format, or find a different game.

It seems like the majority of people talking about the rule change online do not agree with it, I wonder what MTGC is going to do about this and their credibility going forward...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-24 1:20 am 

gunkookshlinger wrote:
This rule takes away one of the things I thought was really awesome and special about commander.

Wait... what? What is so awesome and special about "If I'm playing one of 2 colors, I can hose you in this certain way?" What about the ability to tuck generals would draw people into EDH?

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-24 1:32 am 

gunkookshlinger wrote:
This new rules screws A LOT of cards that I play, it's pretty reckless that they would do this.

... I can't help but notice the big qualifier you have in there: '... that [you] play'.

gunkookshlinger wrote:
I mean who are we catering to here? [...] Kitchen table players?

Actually, yes. Before you come in guns-a-blazin' you should do a bit of research (or at least asking) as to what the primary EDH/Commander player is like. Those of us who come to the forums to talk about it are generally considered a minority group among EDH/Commander players. Yes, we're likely more invested in the format in order to come out here and talk about it. But that doesn't mean we're a good representation of EDH/Commander players in general.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-24 1:37 am 

gunkookshlinger wrote:
This new rules screws A LOT of cards that I play, it's pretty reckless that they would do this.
So you're saying you play almost nothing except blue and white?

gunkookshlinger wrote:
It's a pretty BETA move, most of the people who play this game know the risks of running abusive cards/generals. You're gonna get your dude tucked or you're gonna get hated out. It's pretty simple.
I've had completely innocuous generals immediately tucked in a game. If you think people reserve it for abusive generals, you're deluding yourself.

gunkookshlinger wrote:
This rule takes away one of the things I thought was really awesome and special about commander.
If this one loophole to the Commander rules is what you found "awesome and special" about the format, you're playing it wrong.

gunkookshlinger wrote:
If you really can't deal with a tucked general you need to build a better deck, play a different format, or find a different game.
Who said it can't be dealt with? You're missing the point - the whole tuck aspect is a loophole in the rules. When the rules were formed there were few/no options to tuck generals - this update just closes that loophole and makes the rules once again work as intended.

gunkookshlinger wrote:
It seems like the majority of people talking about the rule change online do not agree with it,
I've been playing this game since Beta, and I'll tell you one true thing: Every single change I have ever seen to Magic has had a massive outcry against it, and within six months 99% of the game's population doesn't know why they were so against it. Ban/restricted list, reprinted cards, set rotation, removal of interrupts, stack and death timing changes, Legend rule changes, damage no longer on the stack, mana burn going away, Planeswalker/Legend rule changes again, etc. etc.

The simple fact of the matter is that people fear change, and act like every change to something they like is an affront upon all that is decent ... and then promptly move on with their lives and forget it was ever any other way.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-24 1:41 am 

Willbender wrote:
The simple fact of the matter is that people fear change, and act like every change to something they like is an affront upon all that is decent ... and then promptly move on with their lives and forget it was ever any other way.

Can I get an Amen!?

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-24 1:44 am 

Amen, brother.

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-24 1:46 am 

This is the most active the forums been in months. No matter how I feel about the rules change, it's a delight to have something to read at work!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-24 1:48 am 

Did you notice there was a new "most users ever set" last night? Everyone loves a circus.

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-24 1:54 am 

What about not being able to do it would draw people to EDH? With the new rule I can now play more efficient torture magic with cards like Zur and Derevi, you might as well just ban Darksteel Mutation and Meddling Mage. When I'm playing Prossh, I win mostly unless someone does something to him. The new rule makes these kinds of cards too good, no one else is having fun in those games. I'm not the only one who plays cards like Spell Crumple and Choas Warp, and those cards were printed for this specific reason. When a rule makes like 10 cards obsolete at a time (some of them staples), I think it's the perfect time to discuss repealing it. I've never really had a problem with a rule change until now and I think a lot of people can relate. Take away Rofellos and Braids, whatever, but at least let me keep my Spell Crumple... The rule is just unnecessary. The game was fine before this, we don't need it!

Last edited by gunkookshlinger on 2015-Mar-24 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-24 1:57 am 

gunkookshlinger wrote:
What about not being able to do it would draw people to EDH? With the new rule I can now play more efficient torture magic with cards like Zur and Derevi, you might as well just ban Darksteel Mutation and Meddling Mage. When I'm playing Prossh, I win mostly unless someone does something to him. The new rule makes these kinds of cards too good, no one else is having fun in those games. I'm not the only one who plays cards like Spell Crumple and Choas Warp, and those cards were printed for this specific reason. When a rule makes like 10 cards obsolete at a time, I think it's the perfect time to discuss repealing it. I've never really had a problem with a rule change until now and I think a lot of people can relate. Take away Rofellos and Braids, whatever, but at least let me keep my Spell Crumple... The rule is just unnecessary. The game was fine before this, we don't need it!

Idea: Play cards that are fun for your friends and fellow magic players have fun playing against instead of requiring them to run cards that keep you in check so everyone can try to have any fun at all?

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next