Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-19 6:11 am

Post subject: Magister of Worth
AgePosted: 2014-Feb-07 8:10 am 

Have people seen this thing yet? It's apparently a plant for an upcoming set, sprinkled (at an extremely low rate) into pre-release boxes of Theros.

The question is, is it technically legal in commander, and/or any other format? One of the players from a nearby groupis already talking to one of the few people who opened one of these about buying it for some absurd amount of money. (He collects Angels and spends way too much $ on magic.. he even has those over sized foil Angels and over a dozen of the foil Angel tokens from the "special" helvaults. He's kinda nuts.)

Anyway, I'm one of the "Rules Gurus" close by, so I may get asked, and I have no freaking clue. I mean, I'm quite sure my group would let him play it regardless of the "official" ruling, but he doesn't get to play with us much (a shame, since I love seeing all his shiny Angels), and the main groups in his city are rather hidebound and tend to stick to the letter of the law.

The only comparison I can think of is the Pristine Talisman promo from "Mirrodin Pure." If I recall correctly, that was legal in Eternal formats (including commander) as soon as it was given out.
But that was widely (and officially) released by WoTC, and Magister hasn't been officially acknowledged. (And is 1000s of times rarer too.)

Alesha, She who Smiles at Death.....Atraxa, Praetors' Voice.....Eight-and-a-Half-Tails.....Gonti, Lord of Luxury.....Karametra, God of Harvests.....Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker.....Kozilek, the Great Distortion.....Prime Speaker Zegana.....Rubinia Soulsinger.....Thrasios, Triton Hero + Vial Smasher the Fierce

My general commander philosophy: Using your opponent's degenerate cards against them is far more satisfying than playing degenerate cards yourself.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Magister of Worth
AgePosted: 2014-Feb-07 8:15 am 

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=16689
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=16689http://mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=16689http://mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=16689http://mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=16689http://mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=16689http://mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=16689http://mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=16689
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=16689http://mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=16689

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-07 8:23 am 

Cards become (O)fficially legal for EDH as of their set's pre-release, so I would say no, it isn't technically legal for EDH. I can't imagine why anyone would not allow you to use it if you've got it, but.... people.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-07 8:47 am 

Joz wrote:

You forgot one: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=16689

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-07 9:26 am 

if its in my hand in can go in my decks. Simple.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-07 9:49 am 

kaldare wrote:
The only comparison I can think of is the Pristine Talisman promo from "Mirrodin Pure."

FTV releases typically have a card that is being pre-printed. Hellkite Overlord was relevant in some minor way for Oath of Druids decks and became legal for vintage as soon as it was released in FTV: Dragons.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-07 10:15 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Cards become (O)fficially legal for EDH as of their set's pre-release, so I would say no, it isn't technically legal for EDH. I can't imagine why anyone would not allow you to use it if you've got it, but.... people.

This card isn't technically in a set, it's a promo, so that rule doesn't apply.
Promos that aren't of previously printed cards are exceedingly rare these days, and the only precedent I can find is the Suture Priest/Pristine Talisman promos, which were Vintage legal as soon as they were released. (Which was a full 3 months before the set they ended up in.)

Joz wrote:

That's a discussion thread, this one is a rules query. Which, at least to me, would seem to belong in the "Rules Discussion" forum...

Alesha, She who Smiles at Death.....Atraxa, Praetors' Voice.....Eight-and-a-Half-Tails.....Gonti, Lord of Luxury.....Karametra, God of Harvests.....Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker.....Kozilek, the Great Distortion.....Prime Speaker Zegana.....Rubinia Soulsinger.....Thrasios, Triton Hero + Vial Smasher the Fierce

My general commander philosophy: Using your opponent's degenerate cards against them is far more satisfying than playing degenerate cards yourself.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-07 11:16 am 

IMO, the 'spirit' of the 'cards are legal as of their prerelease' is that cards become legal when they are available to players, not when they go on sale in a retail setting. This rule is explicitly spelled out because every basically other Magic format uses retail availability as the legality marker.

So, with that in mind, you have the blessing of someone whose opinion is of no (O)fficial value.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-09 12:58 pm 

tarnar wrote:
IMO, the 'spirit' of the 'cards are legal as of their prerelease' is that cards become legal when they are available to players, not when they go on sale in a retail setting. This rule is explicitly spelled out because every basically other Magic format uses retail availability as the legality marker.

So, with that in mind, you have the blessing of someone whose opinion is of no (O)fficial value.

I agree on this 100%.

cool plays > technical legality

Teneb, the Harvester
Heartless Hidetsugu
Ob Nixilis, the Fallen
Reaper King
Ruhan of the Fomori
Hanna, Ship's Navigator
Ol
oro, Ageless Ascetic
Roon of the Hidden Realm
Nekusar, the Mindrazer

Sapling of Colfenor
Wrexial, the Risen Deep
Niv-Mizzet the Firemind
Ghost Council of Orzhova
Scion of the Ur-Dragon
Momir Vig, Simic Visionary

Child of Alara
Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund
Rith, the Awakener
Brion Stoutarm
Experiment Kraj
Razia, Boros Archangel
Grand Arbiter Augustin IV
Wort, Bogart Auntie
Kaalia of the Vast
Tariel, Reckoner of Souls

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-09 4:57 pm 

24x30cl wrote:
tarnar wrote:

I agree on this 100%.

cool plays > technical legality

I agree too, but that wasn't the question the OP asked.
kaldare wrote:
This card isn't technically in a set, it's a promo, so that rule doesn't apply.

What I've been reading is that it's a spoiler of sorts for the summer multiplayer product for this year. That being the case, I'd interpret the (O)fficial point of legality to be whenever that product comes out. So if the OP were to try and use this against people who are giant sticklers for the rules, I'd expect he'd get whined at because it's "not legal". Frankly I wouldn't want to play with people who whined about this card being in my deck, but that's a completely separate issue.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-09 8:43 pm 

On the easier side, if you aren't playing with sleeves, it is definitely not legal due to the back being marked.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-09 9:19 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

Honestly, if you can get your hands on one of these, you should probably use it. Technically that's probably incorrect, but whatever.

Offline Profile