Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-15 2:17 pm

Post subject: Weird Soul Sculptor Question
AgePosted: 2014-Feb-07 7:31 am 

I had this pop up on MTGO, and I wasn't sure if it behaved correctly.

I had Soul Sculptor and Windborn Muse when a player tried to Rend Spirit my Muse.
I then tried to protect it with the Sculptor, and it still died.
The card image didn't still say 'Spirit' anywhere, it just said 'Enchantment', so I thought this would save it.

Was I wrong?

Color Pie Project

White: Rune-Tail, Kitsune Ascendant
Blue: Braids, Conjurer Adept
Black: Anowon, the Ruin Sage
Red: Kumano, Master Yamabushi
Green: Omnath, Locus of Mana

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Weird Soul Sculptor Question
AgePosted: 2014-Feb-07 7:43 am 

The_Dr_B wrote:
I had this pop up on MTGO, and I wasn't sure if it behaved correctly.

I had Soul Sculptor and Windborn Muse when a player tried to Rend Spirit my Muse.
I then tried to protect it with the Sculptor, and it still died.
The card image didn't still say 'Spirit' anywhere, it just said 'Enchantment', so I thought this would save it.

Was I wrong?

I'm pretty certain that's a fail on the part MTGO. Soul Sculptor's Gatherer rulings show this:

Quote:
10/4/2004: The creature stops being a creature (or any other permanent type) and is just an enchantment with no abilities.
4/1/2008: A "creature spell" is any spell with the type Creature, even if it has other types such as Artifact or Enchantment. Older cards of type Summon are also Creature spells.

This seems like pretty clear evidence the Windborn Muse is no longer a creature whenever Rend Spirit tries to resolve, which means it becomes an illegal target upon resolution of the spell and the spell is countered.

EDIT: and who the heck plays Rend Spirit anyway??

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-07 7:50 am 

Yes. That is a MODO bug. "Spirit" is not an enchantment subtype, so Muse will lose it.

Also, who runs Rend Spirit?!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-07 7:52 am 

crokaycete wrote:
Also, who runs Rend Spirit?!

People that want to kill Windborn Muse?

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-07 8:07 am 

i used to run it in my 5 colour spirit combo deck, but only to kill my own legendary dragons to make them proc. Rend Flesh was a 4 off of course but the rend spirit was a 2 off. (I didn't realise there were awesome sac lands at that time that would serve a better purpose)

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-07 8:17 am 

crokaycete is correct. Relevant rule below:
205.1a.
Some effects set an object's card type. In such cases, the new card type(s) replaces any existing card types. Counters, effects, and damage marked on the object remain with it, even if they are meaningless to the new card type. Similarly, when an effect sets one or more of an object's subtypes, the new subtype(s) replaces any existing subtypes from the appropriate set (creature types, land types, artifact types, enchantment types, planeswalker types, or spell types). If an object's card type is removed, the subtypes correlated with that card type will remain if they are also the subtypes of a card type the object currently has; otherwise, they are also removed for the entire time the object's card type is removed. Removing an object's subtype doesn't affect its card types at all.

I'm guessing MTGO doesn't actually remove creature subtypes when something becomes a non-creature, but people don't normally notice because it basically never comes up.

Alesha, She who Smiles at Death.....Atraxa, Praetors' Voice.....Eight-and-a-Half-Tails.....Gonti, Lord of Luxury.....Karametra, God of Harvests.....Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker.....Kozilek, the Great Distortion.....Prime Speaker Zegana.....Rubinia Soulsinger.....Thrasios, Triton Hero + Vial Smasher the Fierce

My general commander philosophy: Using your opponent's degenerate cards against them is far more satisfying than playing degenerate cards yourself.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-07 9:03 am 

It's actually very relevant in BNG limited because of the interaction between Raised by Wolves and Nyxborn Wolf not being a Wolf when bestowed.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-07 9:22 am 

I play Rend Spirit and Eyeblight's Ending. They're pretty versatile.... or were until Murder and Hero's demise were printed.

EDIT: take that back... I play Rend Flesh... I need to read better.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-07 10:40 am 

crokaycete wrote:
It's actually very relevant in BNG limited because of the interaction between Raised by Wolves and Nyxborn Wolf not being a Wolf when bestowed.

Just curious, does that interaction work correctly?

Alesha, She who Smiles at Death.....Atraxa, Praetors' Voice.....Eight-and-a-Half-Tails.....Gonti, Lord of Luxury.....Karametra, God of Harvests.....Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker.....Kozilek, the Great Distortion.....Prime Speaker Zegana.....Rubinia Soulsinger.....Thrasios, Triton Hero + Vial Smasher the Fierce

My general commander philosophy: Using your opponent's degenerate cards against them is far more satisfying than playing degenerate cards yourself.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-07 11:10 am 

I don't think it's on MODO yet. But it's definitely not a Wolf when it's an Aura in paper Magic.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-07 11:50 am 

MTGO be buggin' all the time. I remember there was this one time right after Theros where Agent of the Fates' heroic trigger was proccing off ANY players spells OR abilities. He jumped up to 25 tickets for like two days before they fixed it.

Another one was after Dragon's Maze was released, Council of the Absolute would allow you to name any card, including creatures and lands. That one took a week to fix.

Bladewing the Risen - MTG: Blood Dragon - OST by Powerglove
Dosan the Falling Leaf - Mono-Green Accelerator
Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter - Feed it to Vish
Toshiro Umezawa - Budget Creatureless
Prossh, Skyraider of Kher - Combo Jund
Marath, Will of the Wild - Beast-Mode Tribal
Scion of the Ur-Dragon - Mortal Combat Dredge
Kamahl & Jeska - Tag Team Voltron

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-07 12:55 pm 

Some bugs turn into griefer outlets. I don't know how it happens but I once was in a game that went:

One guy: Thieves' Auction
Me: Sigh, what a time waste.

Auction starts to resolve. First player drops. Spell stops resolving, all permanents remain exiled.

(or something like that, this was years ago)

Offline Profile