Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-14 6:56 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Comments on gatherer: Sylvan Primordial
AgePosted: 2014-Feb-04 3:27 pm 

TeaLobster wrote:
If it's "supposed" to be social, then maybe they should get a bigger banlist. I, personally, prefer following the rules to the letter instead of subjecting myself to vague, unspoken, flowery-ass "social contracts". If they don't like what their creation is becoming, then they should adjust it accordingly.

There's a couple of assumptions here - that aren't necessarily a given.

1) That a bigger ban list encourages more social play.
I really don't see that. Is Vintage or Legacy more social than Standard? I mean those formats have bigger banned(/restricted) lists.

2) That the RC dislikes what the format is becoming
Since the original quote was from a random forum member and not a RC member, I don't see how that idea follows from someone saying the format is "supposed to be social."

If you don't like the concept of the "Social Contract" for the format - that's fine. There are many people who agree with you. But don't be surprised or offended if other people find your manner of playing to be unsocial and decide not to play with you. "I can play it because it's not banned" is not an attitude around here that gets you much sympathy.

TeaLobster wrote:
Whether or not the RC says this format is casual doesn't make the word any less subjective, and lord knows it is in this clusterfuck we call EDH.

And you missed the big part of the phrase that was used. Commander is "supposed to be social." How social will vary from group to group, but that doesn't alter the original intent. You can state that you don't find it a social format. You can state that you think it is morphing from the original intent .. that's all fine, and not something that can be really argued about (that's all personal taste/experience). But when the intent of the format is written down (with the Social Contract), trying to argue that the format isn't supposed to be that way seems ridiculous.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-04 3:45 pm 

Simply put, saying that a person can't / shouldn't express what kind of game they want to be participate in simply because you're playing legal cards shows a big gap between what you vs what most others here want from this game.

That remains true no matter what the specific content of the banned list is.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-04 3:54 pm 

Gath Immortal wrote:
and yet I'm not the only one sleeving up offensive cards

I certainly don't mean to imply that you are.
Gath Immortal wrote:
"being the better man" while a distinction I would prefer to have, is a lot harder than shooting people in the dick and running away. Then again no one likes an unethical dickshooter.

I'm pretty sure it's a lot easier than you think. I wouldn't even say it's about "being the better man" so much as "putting your money where your mouth is". There's a reason none of my decks have Armageddon, even the ones it would probably be good in.
Gath Immortal wrote:
I do try to make nice decks sometimes, but I often feel like it just ends up biting me in the ass.

I have stuff to say to this too, but perhaps it would be best if that laundry was not aired on-line for all to see.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-04 5:14 pm 

TeaLobster wrote:
EDH can't be treated like the other formats. I may be a tryhard, but I'm not blind to the plight of the casuals. If the banlists were separated, whining wouldn't be socially acceptable anymore.
Of course it would. People complain about EVERY ban list. Having two just give the people who play by the "real one" (take your pick) a reason to hate out the other group. And two would be a lot worse than one, it would start getting better at ~5.

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6