Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-17 9:42 pm

Post subject: Question about Necromancy
AgePosted: 2009-Apr-12 2:22 pm 

I have been using Necromancy for awhile, but I recently noticed the errata that states:

Quote:
You may play Necromancy any time you could play an instant. If it was played any time a sorcery couldn't have been played, it gains substance until end of turn and when it loses substance, sacrifice it.
When Necromancy comes into play, if it's in play, it becomes an Aura with "enchant creature put into play with Necromancy." Put target creature card from a graveyard into play under your control and attach Necromancy to it. When Necromancy leaves play, that creature's controller sacrifices it.

Does this mean that I cannot cast it during my main phase as an instant? I have been utilizing Necromancy to reanimate Woodfall Primus and such so I get two kills and a creature. But does this errata mean that if I cast Necromancy during my main phase, the Primus would not die at the end of turn? Or can I choose to cast it as an instant even if I could cast it as a sorcery? Thanks in advance for the answers.

Tolsimir Wolfblood: Enchantress Tokens
Kresh the Bloodbraided: Haymakers

Retired:
Vorosh, the Hunter
Kaalia the Vast

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Question about Necromancy
AgePosted: 2009-Apr-12 5:03 pm 

PNineFTW wrote:
I have been using Necromancy for awhile, but I recently noticed the errata that states:

Quote:
You may play Necromancy any time you could play an instant. If it was played any time a sorcery couldn't have been played, it gains substance until end of turn and when it loses substance, sacrifice it.
When Necromancy comes into play, if it's in play, it becomes an Aura with "enchant creature put into play with Necromancy." Put target creature card from a graveyard into play under your control and attach Necromancy to it. When Necromancy leaves play, that creature's controller sacrifices it.

Does this mean that I cannot cast it during my main phase as an instant? I have been utilizing Necromancy to reanimate Woodfall Primus and such so I get two kills and a creature. But does this errata mean that if I cast Necromancy during my main phase, the Primus would not die at the end of turn? Or can I choose to cast it as an instant even if I could cast it as a sorcery? Thanks in advance for the answers.

If the stack isn't empty in your main phase, you can play it still, and it will be sac'ed at EOT. But if you just want to do it in your main phase (I jsut cannot fathom a scenario where this is ever a problem, even with Fatespinner skipping the combat phase, you can still play it in the end of turn step and have it sacrificed in cleanup or in the draw step) it will look to see if the stack was empty and thus whether you could have played a sorcery.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Apr-12 5:07 pm 

That poses another question, as far as I understand with EOT rules, if I play it as an instant at the beginning of the EOT step, I will not have to sacrifice it until the beginning of the next turn's EOT step because the step has already begun, and I have wait for the next one.

Retired:
Vorosh, the Hunter
Kaalia the Vast

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Apr-12 7:15 pm 

It doesn't say "Sacrifice it at end of turn." It says "it gains substance until end of turn." The wording is important. The first wording allows you to do what you are thinking of, but the second is akin to Giant Growthing a creature during the End phase - it won't be +3/+3 on the next turn.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Apr-13 4:39 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

You can also play Necromancy at the beginning or end of combat to get the exact same functionality (this trick's good for newer cards like Sulfurous Blast).

To answer your first question in a more straightforward manner, you can not choose whether or not it gains substance. If it's sorcery time, your guy sticks around.

For your second question, both you and Anselan are mostly correct. More detail: Anything that says 'at end of turn' will trigger at the beginning of the next EOT step. If it's already EOT, it'll wait until the next one. Anything that says 'until end of turn' will end during the clean-up phase.
i.e. Astral Slide might bring the creature back a whole turn from now, but Giant Growth and substance go away no matter what.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Apr-13 6:02 pm 

Thanks guys for clearing that up, I appreciate it.

Retired:
Vorosh, the Hunter
Kaalia the Vast

Offline Profile