Login | Register


All times are UTC - 7 hours


It is currently 2017-Nov-19 5:20 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Commander FAQ and Dumb Question Station
AgePosted: 2017-Aug-28 2:05 am 

Joined: 2017-Aug-28 2:00 am
Age: Hatchling
I know that wizards just announced that planeswalkers past, present, and future are now legendary, are the rules going to change that planeswalkers can now be officially used as commanders?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Commander FAQ and Dumb Question Station
AgePosted: 2017-Aug-28 4:16 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2012-Feb-07 4:15 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
primekiller13 wrote:
I know that wizards just announced that planeswalkers past, present, and future are now legendary, are the rules going to change that planeswalkers can now be officially used as commanders?

Not likely, for the same reason Mindslaver and Whip of Erebos can't be used as commanders.

_________________
thaumaturge wrote:
Actually, Uktabi_Kong and Kemev are practically the royal family of deck doctoring on this forum, and it's generally a good idea to listen to just about anything they have to say.


Treamayne wrote:
Deck DR Kong


1st Place in the Gabriel Angelfire Iron Chef EDH Competition

3rd Place in the Zedruu Iron Chef EDH Competition


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Commander FAQ and Dumb Question Station
AgePosted: 2017-Aug-28 4:33 am 

Joined: 2016-Feb-13 2:14 pm
Age: Drake
Location: Orlando, Florida
Uktabi_Kong wrote:
primekiller13 wrote:
I know that wizards just announced that planeswalkers past, present, and future are now legendary, are the rules going to change that planeswalkers can now be officially used as commanders?

Not likely, for the same reason Mindslaver and Whip of Erebos can't be used as commanders.

The idea of Mindslaver as a commander horrifies me on a deeply personal level.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Commander FAQ and Dumb Question Station
AgePosted: 2017-Aug-28 4:37 am 

Joined: 2017-Aug-28 2:00 am
Age: Hatchling
but since wizards has already made playable planeswalker commanders why would it be any different with using any planeswalker as a commander now. I understand the reasoning with why enchantments and artifacts can not be used but planeswalkers are a whole another thing.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Commander FAQ and Dumb Question Station
AgePosted: 2017-Aug-28 4:43 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2012-Nov-27 4:39 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Midgard
primekiller13 wrote:
but since wizards has already made playable planeswalker commanders why would it be any different with using any planeswalker as a commander now. I understand the reasoning with why enchantments and artifacts can not be used but planeswalkers are a whole another thing.

The rules currently only allow specifically legendary creatures as commanders. Planeswalkers aren't creatures (though they can become creatures sometimes), so they can't be commanders.

Planeswalkers with the rules text allowing them to be a commander is the only exception.

It would take the Rules Committee changing a core rule to Commander.

_________________
Current:
Decklists are posted here. They can all be found in the Decklist Forum.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Commander FAQ and Dumb Question Station
AgePosted: 2017-Aug-28 4:58 am 

Joined: 2014-Sep-13 7:28 am
Age: Elder Dragon
I don't foresee them changing the rule to allow PWs now, after all this time they could have, but declined to because it wasn't what was envisioned for the format. This rule really changes nothing at all, it doesn't make it more or less possible to 'legalize' planeswalkers as commanders.

Interested in RC thoughts on this though? Was it even considered again?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Commander FAQ and Dumb Question Station
AgePosted: 2017-Aug-28 5:04 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2006-Dec-31 12:26 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Sovarius wrote:
I don't foresee them changing the rule to allow PWs now, after all this time they could have, but declined to because it wasn't what was envisioned for the format. This rule really changes nothing at all, it doesn't make it more or less possible to 'legalize' planeswalkers as commanders.

Interested in RC thoughts on this though? Was it even considered again?

I'm pretty sure it was brought back up to the RC's view/consideration last time we had a big thread on it - as they seem to make note of at least the threads that spawn lots of pages of discussion (and IIRC, one or two RC members did say something here and there on it). And that wasn't all that long ago. I don't see anything really having changed between now and then.

On the other hand - I have done some local playing/testing with walkers as commanders ... and with the little bit of testing, nothing seems horribly out of whack for the format when doing so. So, it also wouldn't surprise me much if this change was the event that pushes things over the edge on their decision.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Commander FAQ and Dumb Question Station
AgePosted: 2017-Aug-28 5:15 am 

Joined: 2014-Sep-13 7:28 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Right, the only change is this rule.
But i believe the decision against it prior was strictly about flavor, and this doesn't change that. But i'm wondering the same, if it was reconsidered; there could be no better timing than to change things today.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Commander FAQ and Dumb Question Station
AgePosted: 2017-Aug-28 6:40 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2012-Feb-07 4:15 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
primekiller13 wrote:
but since wizards has already made playable planeswalker commanders why would it be any different with using any planeswalker as a commander now. I understand the reasoning with why enchantments and artifacts can not be used but planeswalkers are a whole another thing.

So if tomorrow Wizards printed a non-creature artifact that said "This card can be used as your commander" then that would strengthen the case that Mindslaver should be a legal general?

Planeswalkers really aren't that different from other non-creature permanents. Functionally they're pretty similar to cards like Bow of Nylea and Obelisk of Alara. And certain planeswalkers like Jace Beleren have a "best" ability that makes them functionally almost identical to an Archivist. The only thing that makes them seriously unique is the fact that they can be attacked.

_________________
thaumaturge wrote:
Actually, Uktabi_Kong and Kemev are practically the royal family of deck doctoring on this forum, and it's generally a good idea to listen to just about anything they have to say.


Treamayne wrote:
Deck DR Kong


1st Place in the Gabriel Angelfire Iron Chef EDH Competition

3rd Place in the Zedruu Iron Chef EDH Competition


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Commander FAQ and Dumb Question Station
AgePosted: 2017-Aug-28 7:35 am 

Joined: 2017-Aug-28 2:00 am
Age: Hatchling
Uktabi_Kong wrote:
So if tomorrow Wizards printed a non-creature artifact that said "This card can be used as your commander" then that would strengthen the case that Mindslaver should be a legal general?

Planeswalkers really aren't that different from other non-creature permanents. Functionally they're pretty similar to cards like Bow of Nylea and Obelisk of Alara. And certain planeswalkers like Jace Beleren have a "best" ability that makes them functionally almost identical to an Archivist. The only thing that makes them seriously unique is the fact that they can be attacked.




dont get me wrong i honestly dont care if they make them commanders or not im just asking questions that I know that my group would be asking me since i run the commander group in my store and really just want answers because we try to follow the committees rules to the best that we can


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Commander FAQ and Dumb Question Station
AgePosted: 2017-Aug-28 8:17 am 
EDH Rules Committee
User avatar

Joined: 2006-May-24 10:14 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Tampa, FL, USA
No, PWs will not be allowable as commanders unless a card specifically says that it can--so no change.

_________________
"Leave the gun. Take the cannolis."


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Commander FAQ and Dumb Question Station
AgePosted: 2017-Sep-03 1:34 am 

Joined: 2015-Dec-22 4:41 am
Age: Wyvern
Quick dumb question for the rules committee: will the new Legendary Planeswalker rules be in effect for commander right after prerelease? Since all cards are legal in commander as of their respective sets' prerelease, it would seem kinda silly for the new rules to not apply until the official release of the set. So, can I get a quick and official "yes" to this?

EDIT: I just read the answer in another thread, so nvm.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

All times are UTC - 7 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 42 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: