Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-08 8:21 am

Post subject: Re: Did anyone else have to look up Trade Secrets?
AgePosted: 2013-Apr-22 12:43 pm 

Ban Ki-moon wrote:
Off the record, we had a loooong talk about Consecrated Sphinx, and we were very much split on it. We don't need a unanimous vote to ban or unban a card, but the RC as a whole as to be clearly in favour of a change before we implement it, and we were pretty close to 50/50. Consecrated Sphinx didn't get banned, but naturally any card that powerful will receive regular attention from us.

For the record, the reason why we felt Trade Secrets is bannable but Sphinx is not is mostly because Trade Secrets doesn't add any value to the format. Both cards can be really disruptive to a match, especially if they're used unfairly, but Sphinx is well-loved by a lot of players while no one really cares about Trade Secrets. Whether or not Sphinx is too good is certainly debatable, but having powerful threats is a good thing in EDH and the card is certainly unique in that regard. Trade Secrets, on the other hand, can be replaced by a common from almost any block.

So...which half of the RC might need a little visit from my 'acquaintance' Guido to change their tune towards banning the Stinx? Looks like ObsidianDice might need just a couple cards bent to change his mind...probably not going to get Sheldon to cave in, though - he'd just offer Guido canoli. He'd even leave his gum behind for it.

I do think the sphinx really is getting very ubiquitous in blue decks, especially where I play, and I put one in each blue deck I own just so I don't get left behind. The format is definitely warped where I play due to this card.

Most famous article: Breaking Phage

http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/misc ... Phage.html

Personal Favorite: pWN3D: Recollections of Spectacular Defeats in Multiplayer Magic

http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/mult ... Magic.html

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Apr-22 12:50 pm 

IGottaBigDeck wrote:
I do think the sphinx really is getting very ubiquitous in blue decks, especially where I play, and I put one in each blue deck I own just so I don't get left behind. The format is definitely warped where I play due to this card.

I'm not sure auto-include-in-a-color constitutes warping a format.

If it forces everyone to play bribery, praetor's grasp, control magics, reanimation, and/or is forcing non-blue/black decks out of the meta then maybe. But there are a number of auto-includes in the format.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Apr-22 1:20 pm 

niheloim wrote:
IGottaBigDeck wrote:

I'm not sure auto-include-in-a-color constitutes warping a format.

If it forces everyone to play bribery, praetor's grasp, control magics, reanimation, and/or is forcing non-blue/black decks out of the meta then maybe. But there are a number of auto-includes in the format.

Everyone already is forced to play those anyway. They started to be must haves because of Emmy and PT, and then people realized they should stay in since the power level of creatures in general is so damn high.

But yeah, becoming a format staple =/= ban. Otherwise Dark Mike, Kiki Jiki, and Avacyn would have been banned already.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Apr-22 2:18 pm 

I think you've stumbled across something... we should just ban all creatures!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Apr-22 3:29 pm 

niheloim wrote:
I think you've stumbled across something... we should just ban all creatures!

Hmmm...... At that point there would be no need to ban cards like T&N...... and Recurring Nightmare and Karakas could come off the banned list with no ill effects.... probably Worldfire and Sway too (Damn it. Biorhythm still needs to be banned).

But banning all creatures means we'd have to ban Panglacial Wurm. Sorry, not gonna happen on my watch.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Apr-22 5:36 pm 

Trade Secrets has seen a lot of play in my local meta. Personally, I understand the ban but I'm a little sad to see it go. I know "collusion" gets a bad rep, but in my experience, it often ends up that weaker players collaborate to take down the single strongest player. Trade Secrets goes in combo decks, but it also answers combo decks - I liked being able to target the red or white player who might have the right answer in their library, but wouldn't have had the card draw to find it on their own.

OTOH, we had to institute a house rule that a certain 14-year-old player had "protection from Trade Secrets" (so could not be targeted by it), because he would never, ever resist the temptation to draw lots of cards and let the player who cast it combo off and win. :facepalm:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Apr-23 7:04 am 

It's actually a good example of a political card. You can almost always find someone who wants to dig a bit, or is mana-screwed, or is just butthurt because of their stuff getting blown apart.

Obviously, your table presence and reputation go a long way toward making a big chain of draws happen. If you've been the robo-douche for the past few games, probably not going to happen...

That said, I can't remember any time I drew at least 8 cards with it and failed to win within the next turn cycle. So, I guess I can see the point... :roll:

Color Pie Project

White: Rune-Tail, Kitsune Ascendant
Blue: Braids, Conjurer Adept
Black: Anowon, the Ruin Sage
Red: Kumano, Master Yamabushi
Green: Omnath, Locus of Mana

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Apr-23 7:25 am 

niheloim wrote:
you mean all but 1? Its still socially governed. You don't know the decks your playing so why open up the chance to just get beaten by one of them?

Its fundamentally a bad card except in groups that are socially governed. I honestly can't believe people are playing it against unknowns... (edit) with any level of consistency.

If 4 people have the same shot to win any unknown game, and two people can be eliminated for 1UU, it going to happen. I see it far too often (any).

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Apr-23 12:29 pm 

It has seen some play in our competitive multi pods. Basically you target your friend if you can't win and have them draw most of their library. It's pretty dumb and I'm not sad to see it go.

Xantcha, Sleeper Agent - cEDH discard/attrition.
Pre-Modern:
A Denying Wind.
Duel Commander:
Nissa, Vastwoord Seer - Ramp ramp ramp into Ugin+Painter's Servant.
Kari Zev, Skyship Raider - Unbridled Aggro

Find me Saturdays at the Wizard's Tower - Ottawa and occasional Mondays at Westboro Legion for Duel Commander.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Apr-24 3:58 pm 

A couple of weeks ago, I put Curse of Echoes on someone, then they cast Trade Secrets their turn. It was hilarious, albeit tedious.

Nonetheless, the Prime Speaker Zegana player won his next turn by playing Psychosis Crawler then his general.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Apr-24 4:36 pm 

(was reminded of this thinking about a different thread)

I had an idea that I'd run Trade Secrets in a (seemingly) low-powered UR Tibor and Lumia burn deck, use it to target the greediest person at the table, and then Runeflare Trap them into oblivion. It never really worked out, cause Greedy McGreederson would either settle for 8 cards (and not take enough damage to die), or draw a bajillion cards and find Force of Will.

The only other time I've seen it played was by these two guys who secretly play 2HG without bothering to tell the other two players at the table.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Apr-30 9:43 am 

I saw a mindslavered guy be forced to deck himself with his own Trade Secrets once. Otherwise, Ive never seen it cast. Forced a guy to discard one with Okiba-Gang shinobi once.

Sygg, River Cutthroat: Sneaky horrible backstabbing ninjas+rogues.
Sek'Kuar, deathkeeper: It's ALIVE! And so is that one! In fact, ALL the formerly dead stuff is alive!
Sydri, Galvanic Genius: Artifacts and artifacts and lifegain and artifacts.
In Progress:
Mogis, God of Slaughter: Mr. Massacre and his things that ping.

Offline Profile